Sunday, September 2, 2007

East Village, August 2007


As expected, I had a great day yesterday - spectacular clear weather, perfect for wandering around and taking photos. I popped into a great little restaurant in the East Village for brunch (omelette with goat cheese, watercress and sweet peppers) and explored some areas near Avenue D that I don’t think I’ve ever visited before. That used to be a sketchy neighborhood, but like most of New York, it’s now pretty tame.

On the spur of the moment, I went to see “Xanadu” last night on Broadway. Yes, it really is an adaptation of Olivia Newton-John’s famously bad movie (which, come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen). The show is a hoot, basically because it laughs at itself the entire time, and never pretends to be anything more than silly. (One character described it as "a kids' play for 40-year-old gay people.") You haven’t lived until you’ve seen Medusa, with her head full of snakes, singing “Have You Never Been Mellow.” Surreal!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the new version of Hairspray for the same reasons - a kid's story for grownups. Everyone in the film is a freak, but everyone is so well adjusted, or if they have problems, all they have to do is sing a song, and the problem vanishes. John Travolta is a genius.

Love the pic. What is that thing at the bottom? Peas in a pod? Berry pie? Teeth? Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey Reya! It's a set of false teeth. You see this a lot in the East Village - it's someone's very unique tag.

Anonymous said...

Glad your day was so good. Mine was as well. I see that you changed your profile picture. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was so tiny in that other one that no one could see me. (Which might be a good thing. :) )

Anonymous said...

tis a nice picture. (a good thing)