Sunday, March 30, 2008

Criminal


Until this weekend, I’ve been an observer in the world of street art - a watcher, an archivist. Now I’m a participant.

I didn’t make my own art. But I helped out an artist from another part of the country who wanted to get up in New York. I got to know him through Flickr, and offered several months ago to put up a few of his pieces in the Big Apple. He sent me a couple and they sat under my kitchen sink for months as I debated where and how to do it. They began to seem like a huge burden.

Finally, yesterday, I went out and put two of them up in the early morning. Then I put two more up in the afternoon in a different part of the city. I was careful to put them in places where they wouldn't do damage and no one would be angered, yet where they would be seen. I picked popular street art locales.

The act itself was kind of exhilarating, knowing that I was giving the city an artistic boost. (And knowing that what I was doing was technically illegal, even if dozens and dozens of people had done similar things in the same spot already.)

Still, I’m glad it’s done, and I don’t think I’ll offer to do it again. It’s such a relief to have the obligation fulfilled. But as it turns out, when it comes to street art, I would much rather just watch!

(Photo: East Village, March 2008)

6 comments:

dennis said...

Dennis is proud of you.

Merle Sneed said...

Perhaps you can post a picture of them sometime.

Steve said...

Merle: I considered it, but I think it might be legally unwise!

Reya Mellicker said...

Very cool!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

kimy agrees with dennis!

with respect to art the maxim 'resist much, obey little' always applies! now if I found out there location and posted a picture, you would be clear of any complications, n'est ce pas?

(definitely had a good chuckle over the picture accompanying the post!)

R.L. Bourges said...

blogger ate my comment- argggghhh. But I was also encouraging you to go back to the scene of the crime to grab a pic for posterity/other bloggers. Who's to know you were the initial perp?