Saturday, May 31, 2008

Jane


Have I mentioned that I’m reading “Jane Eyre”? Somehow, in high school and college, I was never required to read it, so I’m remedying that now. I’m surprised by how good, and accessible, it is. I was prepared for a real slog. I’m about halfway through, and I love the windswept, candle-lit atmosphere that pervades the book.

My biggest challenge is just making the time to sit down and read. A little more than a week went by when I was so busy I didn’t read a word. But now I’m back in the saddle and making progress.

A couple of years ago I read “Wuthering Heights,” so soon I can say I’ve dispatched with the major works of the Brontes. For what that’s worth.

(Photo: Chelsea, May 2008)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Jane Eyre. Read it repeatedly in junior high (I think ... maybe high school).

Love the Bronte sisters. And you, too, for sitting down to read their books!

Anonymous said...

!!!!

I, too, am just now reading it for the first time!! What strange coincidence!! I'm about halfway through (shortly after finding out about Rochester's secret) and am very amazed how much I really like it. I never have read any of the "classics" before, and was wandering in the library a week ago. I saw the section called classics and thought "hmmm" and chose Jane. I say congrats to both of us for trying something new and finding an unknown jewel.

Cheers!
M.