Thursday, July 10, 2008

Space


“The land was marble-smooth and it rolled without a pucker to the horizon. My eyes grazed across the green band of ground and the blue bowl of sky and then lingered on a dead tire, a bird in flight, an old fence, a rusted barrel. Hardly any cars came toward me, and I saw no one in the rearview mirror the entire time. I passed so many vacant acres and looked past them to so many more vacant acres and looked ahead and behind at the empty road and up at the empty sky; the sheer bigness of the world made me feel lonely to the bone. The world is so huge that people are always getting lost in it. There are too many ideas and things and people, too many directions to go. I was starting to believe that the reason it matters to care passionately about something is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size. It makes the world seem not empty and huge but full of possibility. If I had been an orchid hunter I wouldn’t have seen this space as sad-making and vacant -- I think I would have seen it as acres of opportunity where the things I loved were waiting to be found.”

-- Susan Orlean, “The Orchid Thief”

(Photo: Street art in Bushwick, Brooklyn, Sept. 2007)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Image and text - wow!

Anonymous said...

what a delicate bit of street art....nice pairing with a passage about a book about a such a delicate flower....

and a floating head, in light of yesterday's shadow & light post, do I sense some sort of theme emerging?

Anonymous said...

Dennis loves this street art it is startlingly beautiful.
acres of opportunity...nice post.

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Makes me want to read the rest of the book. A whole book about people who are obsessed with collecting plants!

Your posts are always just the right size to serve as a nibble.

Anonymous said...

Barbara: It's a terrific book. And yes, I'm a firm believer in short, succinct posts!

Anonymous said...

I found this post to be about 2 words too long but I read them anyway.