Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tarpon Springs


Tarpon Springs is an old settlement in northern Pinellas County, Fla., that became popular with Greek immigrants who specialized in diving for natural sponges. Given its Greek heritage, a lot of the buildings are painted blue and white.

Now that I'm back in New York, I'm having a pretty quiet week. (Which is a good thing, because my stomach began acting up again on my trip. Too much eating out, maybe?) I'm getting back to sitting and staying home in the evenings, reading. It's so terrific to be able to do that -- a vacation from my vacation!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back to a life of peace and quiet. Hope that helps your stomach.

Have you ever thought of trying acupuncture? My experience this past year has been amazing. My chronically sour stomach has settled itself down. Just an idea.

Take care, dah-ling!

Anonymous said...

I always eat too much on vacation and feel the results. Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same way. I really like home best.

I do like the blue and white Greek colors that were so obvious in Santorini also.

Anonymous said...

it's always so interesting to see how various cultures try to bring the feeling of familiarity to new places.

sweet thoughts for a calm stomach....

vacations from vacations are always so nice.

Anonymous said...

Dennis likes blue and white. calm. Is a Tarpon some big fish or something? tasty?

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed visiting Tarpon Springs 2 years ago. Watching the boats sail by was a favorite...and the baklavas.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that your stomach's acted up and glad to know its on the mend and you're home safe. As usual, you've got great pics and comments on this blog...I wish more people in Florida appreciated the flora, fauna and history enough to preserve it!

Enjoyed seeing you and love the green door, too!