Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday Stuff


Not much to report today. It's supposed to be rainy this weekend, so I'm not sure how much photography I'm going to get done. But the good thing is, I'll finally have a chance to get back to the Zendo -- I haven't done any sitting in about two weeks and I'm definitely feeling the need to get back to my practice.

It's been a very busy week. I saw a play on Thursday night called "Cathedral" at a small theater in Greenwich Village -- it's by a guy named Joseph Pintauro who wrote some books I enjoyed years ago. I actually got to meet him, which was an added bonus. The play itself is interesting, if just a bit muddled -- it's about accusations of an inappropriate sexual relationship between a teenager and a priest. Tickets are only $18, so it was worth that.

Wednesday I went to dinner with my friend Fred, and last night I had drinks with my friend David, before coming home to watch "I'm Not There" on DVD. It's Todd Haynes' movie about Bob Dylan, in which different actors play different aspects of his personality. It's a bizarre movie, and I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was an interesting attempt at something different. (I'm not particularly enamored of Dylan. I think he's an excellent songwriter, but that's where it ends.)

(Photo: Financial District, April 2009)

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds like a busy week with no fireworks one way or the other. Some time to sit in silence and meditate on the present moment is always good when one is at the crossroads where I sense you are.

Happy May Day! It was just a year ago when we met amid the colorful ribbons of the May pole.

As you sit, perhaps you should make another wish for the coming year. It's probably a good thing to do even if you're not dancing!

R.L. Bourges said...

- the pic: hadn't seen a La Québécoise bus in years - let alone two!

- paying $18 for something interesting but a bit muddled strikes me as a lot - which just goes to show
I'm totally out of the loop on NYC prices

- The title of the Dylan movie seems to sum up your own feelings about him as well :-)

Have a great weekend, Steve.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about Dylan. Though in the right situations I find his music to be extraordinarily evocative (like when driving through the Montana prairies), the majority of time I'd rather listen to fingernails on chalkboard ...

e said...

Good luck with your zendo. Glad to know all is well with you.

Merle Sneed said...

Dylan is one of those people that those of a certain age are expected to like.

Ronda Laveen said...

I agree with Barbara. Such power in the year right now...good time for meditating and planting the seeds you'll grow until Summer Solstice. Glad you got your $18 worth.

Ditto on Dylan. Just watched a clip on another site of Dyan live at Liverpool last night. A fan came out of the crowd and grabbed him by the neck. The guitarist had to drag him off of Dylan. And then I stopped by here and guess what, Dylan again. How synchronous!

Loved the bus photos. The windows remind me of flies eyes.