Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Moving


My internal clock is all messed up. Here I am, at 11:30 a.m., writing a blog entry. I had a bagel for breakfast (instead of my usual raisin bran) after waking up in another state. Let's hear it for shaking up routines! Woo hoo!

This disruption is the result of an adventurous night of moving. Dave drove into the city last night in a U-Haul and I met him at his apartment at about 7 p.m. We spent a couple of hours loading his life into the back of the truck, and then drove it out to East Brunswick, where we wasted no time unloading it right away. We drove the truck back to the U-Haul center, dropped it off at about 12:30 a.m., and went straight to Denny's.

(A side note: Denny's has deteriorated significantly over the years. I remember it being a fairly good coffee shop with real food back in the '80s, but now it might be lower than even Waffle House. I got on omelet with swiss cheese, and the cheese was in pre-made gluey slices -- i.e. Kraft singles -- melted on top. Yuck!)

Anyway, we finally got to sleep at about 2 a.m., and then I zipped back into the city on an 8:45 a.m. train. I'll be amazed if I get through the day without falling asleep at my desk!

It's cute to see Dave so excited about his new place. I think he'll be really happy in New Jersey.

(Photo: Stuffed elephant at the wheel of a forklift outside a recycling business, Greenpoint, Brooklyn, June 2009)

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I just cannot picture you EVER eating at Denny's. I'm happy Dave is happy, but it's time for his culinary instincts to kick into high gear once again. Places like Denny's don't bode well for your gastritis!

Steve Reed said...

I know, right?! Don't worry, this is just a temporary phase, because his life is so disrupted at the moment...

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I hope denny's is kinder to your digestive system than kfc.

have to laugh at the photo - after reading the caption, I had the thought that I'm glad to see environmentalists putting those republicans to work!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

oh I just read barbara's comment...... guess all us 'mother types' have the same worries! ha ha

Ronda Laveen said...

Woo hoo! It's always nice to change it up a bit now and then. After your photo, I have a whole new picture of the Teamster's union in my head!

Gary said...

First of all I am glad that your stomach has settled down enough to allow you to eat at Denny's.

Moving is always such a mess and Dave is fortunate that he had you to help.