Thursday, November 13, 2014

Boring Landlord Issues


We heard back from the management company for our landlord about the mold. I thought they would react with urgency, given all the horror stories I've heard about black mold and its ill effects on human health. But apparently lawyers have rallied landlords against black mold only in the United States, because here our mold revelation was met with a stifled yawn.

We got an e-mail back saying that mold growth is "a common but relatively easy problem to overcome." It then gave us step-by-step instructions for improving ventilation, keeping the flat warmer and reducing condensation. I was also advised to "clean the affected area" and let them know if it reoccurs.

This wasn't hugely helpful, but I admit a few of their tips -- such as opening the bathroom window and closing the door after showers -- may come in handy. (They also advised us to use the bathroom extractor fan, which is interesting, since we don't have one.) So I'll clean the wall and we'll try to reduce moisture and see what happens. I'd really rather not invest in a dehumidifier unless absolutely required.

Meanwhile, we were visited by a contractor yesterday, supposedly to do some other minor repairs we requested after moving in four months ago. Strangely, though, nothing appears to have been done. The guy was definitely in our house -- some things were moved around -- but we see no evidence of repair work. God knows what's happening. Probably yet another estimate. (The management company is obsessed with getting estimates. We've had at least three contractors visit already.) I've requested an update.

Dave has about had it with the management company -- he called them a few days ago, got very forceful and threatened to withhold our rent. I understand the frustration, but I'm operating on the basis that honey catches flies better than vinegar (or whatever that old saying is). I'm being ultra-polite, but maybe I'll try to nag them a little more.

(Photo: Shopping carts in Neasden, on Sunday.)

9 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

So Dave believes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And who knows what will work with this management company? It's frustrating. I know.
A dehumidifier may help although no, you should not have to purchase it.

Marty said...

Considering the famous London climate, I can see the laissez faire attitude your landlord has with mold. If everyone there got worked up over the result of dampness, there would be little time to much else.
However. I've watched so many fix-it shows on television of people combating mold and its effects that I'm now a bit jumpy on the subject myself.

ellen abbott said...

one of the drawbacks of renting...waiting for repairs to be made and unconcerned owners. drawbacks of owning...you have to do it yourself.

Linda Sue said...

My Dad always said "Fix your problem" My mother never moaned...they got things done that way. Expecting a management company to care is frustrating at best! BUT you really must address the mold issue , on your own, a Dehumidifier does not cost that much here, just about everyone has one as well as air and water filters...it is a new world. Take care of yourselves.

Sharon said...

I understand this kind of frustration completely. My recent move was prompted by landlord issues.

Steve Reed said...

Let me just say I am SO PSYCHED I finally got the "Boycott American Women" blog spam! I take it as a mark of the significance of my blog. Ha!

The Bug said...

I hadn't seen the boycott american woman span for quite a while & now I've seen it on two blogs. Woot!

Lynne said...

I would love to say to those Boycott American Woman people that I could say the same for men. Let them have the babies, most of them are fatter than the women anyway, etc. Sheesh. Get over yourselves.

On the other hand, I love this photo. Great reflection that you captured.:)

Steve Reed said...

Lynne: Absolutely. I think there are probably plenty of "generally immature, selfish, extremely arrogant and self-centered, mentally unstable, irresponsible, and highly unchaste" men out there. And not just American ones, either! :)