Friday, November 14, 2014

Sand Bin, Aglow


This box sits on the tube platform in West Hampstead. I'm kind of obsessed with it. I love the colors -- the red underlayer and the orange and yellow blotches. Dave says it's like a box of sunset, and that's exactly right.

Dave left yesterday for Aberdeen, Scotland, where the forecast for the entire four days of his stay is rain, rain, rain and rain. No sunsets there! Fortunately he's not planning to be outside anyway. He's there for a music educator's conference.

I, meanwhile, am holding down the fort with Olga, enjoying some alone time. I mean, of course I miss Dave, but it's also pretty wonderful to leave the TV off and just read, and cook my own simple dinners, and enjoy some silence. I can get in bed at 9 p.m. and read for an hour without worrying about whether I'm disturbing Dave with the light. Last night I made a salad of some multicolored tomatoes from the produce store, and I fried a couple of eggs and sauteed a leek and heated up some leftover potatoes and cauliflower, and that was dinner. Fabulous!

I have a handful of movies to watch -- random films I recorded over the last several months on TV. I should get them out of the way while Dave is gone. He doesn't want to watch a 1960 Rock Hudson western or a 1930s Soviet movie about sailors vacationing on the Black Sea. I'm not sure I do, either, but I was interested enough to hit the "record" button so I'm going to at least give them a try.

6 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Ha! You and I are living parallel existences. Last night I made a goulash of leftovers and ate it with noodles and then watched "Flirting With Disaster" (and if you've never seen it, you should) and then got in bed and started a new library book and read a hundred pages of it.
It was glorious and this morning is beautiful.

Marty said...

As Ms. Moon says, there's something about being unaccustommly (is that a word?) alone.
And like the two of you, for me it always includes an odd dinner and a movie the other person wouldn't ordinarily choose.
And yes, reading without interruption.
But later, it's so nice when they're home.

37paddington said...

I too love the colors of that sand bin. Such a perfect balance of the red, orange and yellow. Thanks for sharing it!

So my husband will join you and Ms. Moon next week when I leave him all alone to go visit my mom in Jamaica. I'm sure he'll have a wonderfully peaceful rambling time.

The Bug said...

I like having alone time too - as long as it doesn't last TOO long :)

Lynne said...

SBS:
Sunset Sand Bin
:)
I don't mind "alone" time if it's not for too long. One night is okay.

ellen abbott said...

Ok, I want the sand bin. and yah, days away from the significant other are good. mine hardly ever leaves though. I have at times told him to go somewhere, I don't care where, but be gone all day, I want the house to myself.