Friday, January 26, 2018

Winter Lights at Canary Wharf


Last night I went to London't other big light-art show, Winter Lights at Canary Wharf in East London. Unlike the unfortunately brief Lumiere London, this show lasts for ten days and includes 33 artworks both indoors and out. Again, I didn't try to see everything, but I did make it to the largest outdoor installations. Some of the indoor ones proved challenging -- I wound up wandering through acres of glass and marble and escalators and I still couldn't locate a few of them.

"Sonic Light Bubble" by Eness glowed like a big jellyfish in front of the Canary Wharf tube station. It emitted sounds and shifting light patterns, responding to the touch of visitors.


"The Cube," by Ottotto, created a cage of light around a public walkway over the water.


"Halo," by Venividimultiplex, created a glowing solar double-image in one of Canary Wharf's reflecting ponds.


LBO Lichtbank's "Lightbenches" and Kasjo Studios' "Urban Patterns" (rear) brightened Columbus Courtyard. Apparently the benches are a permanent feature.


"Apparatus Florius," by Tom Dekyvere, was a shifting, growing light show meant to symbolize the growth of plants, as I understand it.


"Dazzling Dodecahedron," by Amberlights, may have been my favorite. Visitors were able to climb inside this colorful box and it did indeed seem to dazzle, as you can see from the expression of the boy in my photo. (I didn't go in because I didn't want to wait in line.)


"Intrude" by Amanda Parer brought a trio of inflated, glowing bunnies to Jubilee Park. The bunnies are "intrusive" because they're an ecological pest in the artist's native Australia.

I went to Winter Lights two years ago and saw another work by Parer, as well as Julius Popp's "Bit.Fall," which was on display once again this year. (I think it's also a permanent fixture.)

Anyway, it was fun to get out and do something after work for a change, and unlike my last visit I wasn't pressed for time. (And it wasn't crazy windy or bitterly cold, conditions I seem to remember contending with in 2016.) I had a modest dinner at a sandwich shop while I was there, and lingered long enough to get a good look around -- this is just a selection of all the works I saw.

14 comments:

e said...

Wonderful...I wish all cities could have winter light festivals. Did you have a favorite?

Shooting Parrots said...

Very impressive - all we have are street lamps!

Ms. Moon said...

All rather mind blowing! If one partook of herb, that looks like it would be a good opportunity to do it!
(As I recall from my former, younger days.)
And how is the river?

37paddington said...

These light installations are dramatic. I wish they’d do something similar in NYC. I’m going to try getting out more after a work day as well. I’ve been to much bent over the grindstone.

Red said...

It's interesting what they did with building windows. Yes, I could enjoy watching this.

Sharon said...

Halo is the one I've seen the most photos of on Instagram but, your photo is the best I've seen. The others I saw I couldn't figure out what it was. I really would have enjoyed seeing this. Canary Wharf seems like the perfect place for something like this. It's such a concentrated area.

The Bug said...

Lovely! I think my favorite is Apparatus Florius. And the bunny one makes me think of the Buffy musical where Anya sang a song about how terrifying bunnies are. Ha!

Anonymous said...

You do get to see some pretty beautiful light shows there. I love when you go out for walks and show us what you see. Wonderful photos!

Catalyst said...

It took me awhile to find that boy but when I did I was delighted with his expression of glee and wonder. Thanks for the tour, Steve.

ellen abbott said...

what a wonderful exhibition. Dave wasn't interested?

invisigal said...

Fabulous photos! It makes for a nice and much needed spark in the midst of a dark and dreary winter. Our Toronto Light Festival is coming up soon. Here was last year's https://www.torontolightfest.com/2017-gallery

I hope you got your river sitch sorted. Visions of sinkholes forming underground.

I really enjoy your daily-life travelogues. It's like a small documentary each day.

-invisigal

jenikya said...

I love visiting this each year. This is the third time now. Canary Wharf can be like a maze if you don't know it well. I got lost in the mall last year trying to find one exhibit. However, signage this year actually existed and was good!
http://jenikya.com/blog/2018/01/winter-lights-canary-wharf-201.html

Lorianne said...

I've seen those giant bunnies!

https://wp.me/p4P9A-2LA

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Thanks for sharing. A fine urban expedition.