Friday, January 26, 2024

Melanie


Some of you may have seen the news about Melanie, the singer-songwriter who played at the original Woodstock, and who died on Tuesday at the age of 76.

This just depresses the heck out of me. I've written about Melanie many times on this blog, most comprehensively back in 2008. Her music spoke to me when I was young, partly because my father was a fan and I always associated her husky vocals and expert guitar-playing with joyful memories of riding around in his smoky, rattly Volkswagens, listening to her on 8-track tape. I bought stacks of her albums over the years, mostly at second-hand record stores because I became a fan with disposable income in the early and mid-'80s. By that time, the era of synth pop, her music was largely out of fashion -- but I still loved it.

Melanie is unfortunately known to most people for her hit song "Brand New Key," a plucky little ditty about a girl and boy getting together to, umm, roller skate. (She always insisted the song was not meant as a sexual double-entendre but frankly I don't believe it.)

I never thought that was her best song. I prefer the guitar work in "Lovin' Baby Girl" and the pathos in "Momma, Momma." I love the sunny optimism of "Beautiful People." I think her vocals shine most when she plays with minimal accompaniment, as in this version of "Together Alone."

Her performance at Woodstock prompted her to write "(Lay Down) Candles in the Rain," one of her most famous songs from probably her most famous album. She shared a stage with John Lennon and Stevie Wonder, and a TV soundstage with Johnny Cash, and performed with many other household names of the era.

I think it's fair to say she helped shape the peace-loving, hippie-ish, vegetarian ideals I lived by when I was younger. (And still do, though adulthood has of course leavened them with practicality!) I remember how surprised I was when I had the privilege of meeting and interviewing her in 1991, and we sat down in a restaurant and she ordered a chicken breast -- this woman who once sang "I don't eat animals, and they don't eat me"! Practicality comes to us all.


I saw her in concert three times. The first time, right after that 1991 interview, was at the State Theatre in St. Petersburg, Fla. My friend Kevin (above on the left) and I even got a backstage pass so we could say hi to her after the show.


I still have the pass! ("Precious Cargo" was the album she had just released at the time.) I also still have my ticket stub:


She wasn't a particularly pricey ticket by then, but I remember how great she sounded. (I have no memory of who the "friends" were.) Though often thought of as a "flower child" who disappeared after the mid-'70s, she was in fact always working and recording, and even won an Emmy in 1989 for writing the lyrics to the theme song for the TV series "Beauty and the Beast."

I saw her again in 1998, in Sarasota, and finally in 2008 when I went to "Hippiefest" at Bethel Woods, the upstate New York arts center now on the site of the original Woodstock concert.

I suppose 76 is a respectable age. It's not like she died an untimely death, and after all, it happens to the best of us. But I'm still sad about it, partly because I'm missing my father once again, and partly because the deaths of our idols can't help but bring to mind our own mortality and the passage of time in general. We are no longer our youthful selves.

(Top photo: Winter trees in Kilburn, last week.)

27 comments:

Yael said...

I remember some of her songs that were played here on the radio in the seventies, I loved them too. There was no television here and only now I both listened and watched on YouTube.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Your smile looks like you're ready to burst. I would have been the same. Oh how I love her!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"The deaths of our idols can't help but bring to mind our own mortality and the passage of time in general. We are no longer our youthful selves." - this observation belongs in a book of quotations for it is very well said.

I saw her at The Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 and was inspired to buy "Candles In The Rain". Her version of "Ruby Tuesday" grabbed you by the heart.

Andrew said...

YP's comment about hearing her singing Ruby Tuesday is interesting, a song I rather like. Maybe I missed it but I don't recall you writing about your father.

A nice memory for you.

Sabine said...

"Look, what they've done to my song Ma", was one I repurposed as a lullaby for my toddler.

Jeanie said...

I always liked her music too and was very sad to hear of Melanie's death so I'm really glad you wrote this. What special experiences you had -- and the memories connecting her music with your dad. Made me smile. I would have liked to see her in concert and I'm so glad you did. (76 is FAR too young these days. And I do think it's a bit of an untimely death -- oh, not like 50 -- but still too soon.)

Bob said...

Little snippets from the past, all intertwined.

I can see missing your Dad after he introduced you to her.

Ms. Moon said...

I am thinking it was '91 when I saw Melanie play in St. Pete. It could have been '92. So same era. Hank had just come out to me and was at that time identifying as a lesbian. I had heard that the Indigo Girls were going to be playing in St. Pete and I said, "Let's go!" And to everyone's surprise, Melanie came onstage and sang a few songs with the Indigo Girls. I was so happy to see her! Of course Hank had never heard of her but I certainly had. I was not the fan you were (again- I did love the grittier music as you said the other day) but I recognized her talent.
It IS hard when we lose our idols. That is no joke. They played a very important role in our lives and we miss them terribly when they're gone. We mourn for them, we mourn for the people we were when we loved them so.

Boud said...

Thanks for this post. I'd never heard of her till I started reading people's tributes this week, but she had a significant meaning to you. And to other readers.

Michael said...

I hadn't heard that she had died. I have always loved her music. That is so cool that you got to meet her. I know what you mean about our idols passing. Whenever that happens, I look at my own mortality as well. At my age now, I think 76 doesn't sound so old!

Ed said...

Somehow I missed the news. And I always took it at face value that she was indeed singing about old roller skates that required a key. But I have been naïve about musical lyrics before. I was in my late 20's before I realized what the baseball references in the middle of "Paradise By the Dashboard Lights" was really referring too.

Marcia LaRue said...

I had not heard nor seen anything about Melanie. Her "Brand New Key" song is the only one I am familiar with!
So many songs cause so many memories to spring forth! You have both the pictures and the memories!

Ellen D. said...

Thanks for reminding me about some of her songs, Steve. I remembered Brand New Key but she had so many more that I had forgotten about. She had a powerful voice.
I was at a funeral yesterday. That and your post make me wonder how much time do I have left. I'm only 3 years younger than Melanie. Hmmm...

ellen abbott said...

I do remember that song about the roller skates and the key but beyond that, I have no knowledge of her, cannot recall any songs that I 'know' are hers. obviously I wasn't a fan. I had a box of memorabilia that held things like your ticket and pass but it all got ruined in the flood and tossed out.

Red said...

I'm familiar with some of these songs but don't recall Melanie .Now I'll have to listen to her.

Sharon said...

You have written a wonderful tribute to her. I did see the piece in the NY Times that was written about her and I remember her music. I love that picture of you with her and your friend. Thanks for the links to some of her songs. I enjoyed listening to them.

Kelly said...

Brand New Key is the song that comes to my mind, but that's mainly because it was used in Boogie Nights (a movie I loved!) So, yes... of course it's a sexual double-entendre! That movie had one of the BEST soundtracks ever!

I sympathize with your sadness.

Susan said...

RIP Melanie. I remember her songs fondly but have not followed her closely, like you. Thank you for sharing links to her music. I enjoyed listening...and remembering Melanie.

Jim Davis said...

One of the things that I dislike so much about getting older is the passage of people that were part of our youth, some passages are good, others not. I remember the Brand New Key song now that you mention it. RIP Melannie

Margaret said...

I saw the news but didn't realize that she was THE Melanie. Wow, dumb. 76 doesn't sound old to me at all these days. My boyfriend will soon be 70 and many of my friends are in their early to mid 70s.

Debby said...

I had not heard this news, I'm sorry to say. I wonder what it is that will make my children remember me when I am gone? I hope, like your memories of your dad, they are good ones.

Colette said...

I loved her music, too. I think 76 is way too young to die, probably because I'm 72. But yes, it seems she had an eventful life.

Catalyst said...

I just lost a good friend who was 87 but still way too young to go. There's never a good time. Condolences for your feelings of loss, Steve.

Janie Junebug said...

I loved her and sang along to my Melanie album, which I still have, or just sang her music around the house. X hated her. Just another reason to get rid of him. She was lovely. I didn't realize she had died.

Love,
Janie

River said...

I had no idea who Melanie was until you mentioned Brand New Key, so now I know. I never liked that song so probably wouldn't have like any others either. But 76 is too young to die.

Steve Reed said...

Yael: YouTube is amazing, isn't it? All these cultural artifacts now at our fingertips!

Mitchell: She was fantastic, wasn't she? And such a distinctive voice.

YP: Yes, she did a great version of "Ruby Tuesday." The albums that followed "Candles in the Rain" were really good, too.

Andrew: I wrote a lengthy post about him when he died.
https://shadowsteve.blogspot.com/2016/07/james-h-reed-1937-2016.html

Sabine: And someone repurposed it for an oatmeal commercial, as I recall. Sacrilege!

Jeanie: Yes, you're right, many people live much longer than that nowadays.

Bob: This is why music is so powerful -- it is invariably intertwined with memories in our minds.

Ms Moon: I did see the Indigo Girls in concert at Tampa Theatre in 1990 or so, for their "Nomads, Indians, Saints" tour. But Melanie did not appear, at least not the night I was there! I love the way you phrased this, about the death of musical idols -- "We mourn for them, we mourn for the people we were when we loved them so."

Boud: I'm sure you heard her on the radio back in the day. That roller-skating song was everywhere!

Michael: Well, it's really NOT that old. I'd say it's within the range of a reasonable life span, but by today's standards it's still fairly young.

Ed: Ha! I just think she HAD to know when she wrote those lock-and-key lyrics that there was a double meaning. It seems so obvious.

Marcia: Music really triggers the memory, doesn't it?

Ellen D: Well, as others have pointed out, 76 is pretty young these days. Don't panic! :)

Ellen: That's a shame about losing the mementos. I love digging that stuff out now and then.

Red: You'd probably remember her if you listened to the songs. She was pretty popular in the early '70s.

Sharon: There's so much of her on YouTube! I couldn't believe it!

Kelly: Yes, "Boogie Nights" is fantastic and it has a great soundtrack. I hope Melanie got a lot of royalty payments for that.

Susan: Glad you liked the sample songs. There are many more on YouTube!

Jim: It's alarming, isn't it?

Margaret: Well, it's really NOT old, not by modern standards.

Debby: It's hard to say what kids absorb and remember, what makes an impression. My dad's music was huge in forming my own musical tastes.

Colette: She did have an eventful life, for sure. Her family didn't release a cause of death, so who knows what her health was like.

Catalyst: There's never a good time, that's for sure!

Janie: I would say not liking Melanie is reasonable grounds for a relationship re-think. :)

River: As I said, "Brand New Key" isn't one of my favorites either. I think she has others that are much better.

Bohemian said...

I hadn't realized she Passed, but, now it makes sense as to why that dreadful Song "Brand New Key" was being played a lot lately. She had much better Songs and I do Hate she's best remembered for that one, since, she was an amazing Artist.