Sunday, May 5, 2024

Bag-Blocked


We went to a dinner party last night at the home of our friends Gordon and Donna, who live in Leyton, East London. The street above is right around the corner from their house -- a quaint little road of colorful shops that has been landscaped and made pedestrian-friendly by the local council. It looks much nicer than it did about ten years ago, when parked cars lined the sidewalk and greenery was sparse, though it's always been a cute area.

I was pretty lazy yesterday. I sat out in the back garden with Olga and read "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier, a groundbreaking young-adult novel from the mid-'70s that has stirred controversy for decades. The New York Times recently had a story about how it defined Cormier's career as one of the most challenged books for young people. When I read that article I thought, "I really need to finally read this book!" I made pretty quick work of it, and as with most controversial books, I don't really see why it's such a big deal. It takes place in a boys' school so there are a few fleeting references to the kinds of things that would occupy the minds of teenage boys, and its overall theme is questioning authority. I guess that was enough to stir up trouble.

Meanwhile, Dave was in the kitchen making this:


It's Confit Byaldi, a variation on a traditional French ratatouille. There's a layer of roasted pepper and tomato sauce on the bottom, called piperade, and after Dave layered it with these colorful vegetable slices he put the whole thing in the oven. Then we had to schlep it to East London for the dinner party, which was somewhat awkward but we managed. (We had to carry a big bowl of vichysoisse too! Thank goodness for roomy canvas bags.)


We took the tube to Leyton, where the station has colorful filigreed support columns. Our friends Keith and Chris joined us at Gordon and Donna's, and we all had a dinner featuring Gordon's duck confit and Donna's margarita ice cream, in addition to Dave's contributions. I was the fortunate one at this event -- I didn't have to lift a finger.

We probably stayed way too late -- we didn't get back on the tube until about 12:30 a.m. On the way home we were surrounded by Londoners who'd all obviously been out partying. One guy got on the train wearing a backpack, and didn't step into the car far enough, so the door closed on his bag -- and of course the train won't move if the doors don't close. The occupants of the car kept telling him, "Your bag's in the door!" The conductor came on the PA and asked whoever was holding the door to let it go. And he just shrugged and acted like he couldn't do anything about it. Finally a big muscly passenger walked over and said, "Here, let me help you," and physically yanked the guy forward so the doors could close. Dave and I figured the bag wearer was either drunk or stoned. It was very weird, but amusing to all of us. The bag wearer just stood there for the rest of our ride, lost in the world of his phone and ear buds.

20 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

It’s always nice to have a big muscly guy on hand. And Dave the chef. That is a work of art (although I would have been gritching about transporting it. Leyton looks charming.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"I was the fortunate one at this event"... No Steve! You were the lazy one who was happy to eat the food that others had skilfully prepared. As for the fellow with the bag, I am glad it didn't contain an I.E.D..

Boud said...

That sounds like a nice potluck. I'm more used to carrying potluck food just a couple of miles in the car though. Bit strenuous crossing the city with soup. That last part could be the title of your memoir about your days in London.

Bob said...

"I was the fortunate one at this event -- I didn't have to lift a finger."

Except for the schlepping?

Michael said...

That dish that Dave prepared looked so good! I enjoyed reading about your trek to and from your friend's house. I forget that living in a big city is very different from where I live!

Ms. Moon said...

Beautiful dish of Dave's!
I guess that people still have dinner parties. What a concept! I used to. I can't imagine that now.

Ed said...

I think rather than yanking, I would have been tempted to push the guy outside so the door could close.

Ellen D. said...

That is a lovely dish and I am sure it was delicious. Dave sure is talented.
I remember reading The Chocolate War when I worked at the library and I really liked it. I was surprised to read in the New Yorker that it was banned as I never thought it shouldn't be read. I would often recommend it to students. I will have to read it again now...

ellen abbott said...

I've never heard of The Chocolate War. might have to check it out. all I can do is shake my head at some of the books people want banned. how small and unpleasant their lives must be to be offended by basic human behavior.

and what a work of art Dave's confit byaldi. I see yellow squash, zucchini, tomato. the large round slices I can't identify besides assuming another kind of squash.

Jeanie said...

I can see carrying the large (and gorgeous) tray of Confit Byaldi that far -- but the vichysoisse? I applaud you both! Dave can bring a dish to pass to my house any time! It sounds like the kind of evening I love -- good friends, a lively conversations with good food and an evening that goes far too late -- and that's just fine with everyone. Lucky the train guy got a little help or you might be wishing you'd brought home leftovers for breakfast to enjoy on your ride home!

Margaret said...

Perhaps he was stoned/drunk plus clueless. I think that about many fellow plane passengers who, when announcements come on about packed flights and storage bin space, don't seem to realize that their "carry on" is the size of a medium suitcase. That looks like a yummy dish!

Sharon said...

Dave's dish looks so beautiful. I have never heard of that dish but the photo makes me want to taste it.
I have to schlep some soup to a dinner party this evening. I made tortilla soup since today is Cinco de Mayo. Transporting soup is always a bit of a challenge as you certainly know. At least I don't have to navigate the tube.

Kelly said...

I want to know more about the margarita ice cream. Being vegan, I'd prefer it as a sorbet, but I'm fascinated nonetheless.

Susan said...

The dinner with friends sounds like good fun. Dave is a very accomplished chef! The Confit Byaldi is a piece of art and must have been a big hit. You never know what to expect on the train. The guy with the backpack had to be stoned.

Red said...

You find interesting places to go. I guess we don't know what goes on late at night when we're seldom out.

The Bug said...

That's a gorgeous dish! I wonder if it would make me eat more veggies? I'm thinking yes!

Andrew said...

I am the usual the one who doesn't lift a finger to do with food, except eat it. Your dinner party sounds like a big night and I'm sure very enjoyable.
The streetscape does indeed look very attractive. Tube train doors are fast and vicious.

Debby said...

Beautiful dish. But the idea of carry a container of soup...in a bag...on the tube.. .yikes! That clueless guy...that made me laugh.

River said...

I'm surprised the man didn't feel the weight of the bag straps pulling backward.
Dave's veggie dish looks very pretty.

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: Transporting it turned out to be much easier than expected, given our big bags! Just a matter of keeping it level.

YP: I am happy to consider myself fortunately lazy. :)

Boud: That reminds me of the title of a musical I saw recently on the West End -- something about carrying a cake across New York.

Bob: Well, that's true! I did schlep!

Michael: Always an adventure on public transportation.

Ms Moon: We used to have them more regularly than we do!

Ed: Ha! He was mostly in the car, so I guess from a purely practical standpoint that would have been more difficult.

Ellen D: It's a complete mystery to me why that book should offend anyone. But then, there are so many things I don't understand about these book-banning types!

Ellen: Eggplant!

Jeanie: The vichysoisse was easier, actually -- just put it in a container with a lid that seals well! It didn't even have to be kept level like the confit.

Margaret: Yeah, entirely possible. He did have earbuds in so I think he was in another world!

Sharon: Tortilla soup sounds yummy! Driving with soup in the car is also challenging.

Kelly: It was mostly lime-flavored, but it did contain some tequila!

Susan: I love that about public transportation -- the unexpected!

Red: I make it a point to stay in, usually!

Bug: And as veggie dishes go, it's pretty healthy, too!

Andrew: I usually do cleanup, but in this case Donna did most of it. Woo hoo!

Debby: It wasn't hard! The container had a lid!

River: I am too. I don't see how he could have been completely unaware.