Monday, May 6, 2024

Apparently I'm Not Dying


Yesterday as I was walking around the house watering plants, Olga came into the dining room. She was smacking her lips as if she'd been chewing something. I didn't think much of it, because we keep dry food available to her all the time in her bowl.

But no -- she was eating bird food. When I came into the living room, I saw that she'd nosed her way into our stash of suet balls meant for the bird feeder. There was suet-ball shrapnel all over the floor. She's normally very good about not eating things that aren't meant for her, so I don't know what possessed her this time -- except that we keep the suet ball container on the floor, which in Olga's mind must have made it fair game.

Anyway, the suet and sunflower seeds haven't done her any harm.

Fortunately I hadn't yet cleaned the house, so that came next, as well as mowing the lawn. The picture above was taken before I mowed. I had to fence off our little teasel plot with string because Olga has decided it's a wonderful place to roll in the long grass, and I got tired of having to rehabilitate flattened teasels. You can kind of see my makeshift fence on the left in the background.

In between the cleaning and mowing, I sat out in the garden reading "Feral Borough" by Meryl Pugh, a book that I picked up when visiting blogger Linda Sue during her stay in Dulwich last December. It's an interesting volume about appreciating urban wilderness. Pugh writes about the history and creatures she encounters in her corner of East London, similar to the urban wildlife I often encounter here: birds and foxes and wandering housecats.


I also took Olga on our standard walk around the local housing estate, where she once again stalked the cats beneath the blue door. Every time I doubt her vim and vigor, she shows me she's still got it.

Finally, in the afternoon, I had to go for my endoscopy. You may remember I've been having a lot of stomach discomfort -- this is also why I had the CT scan last week. The endoscopy meant I couldn't eat after breakfast yesterday, and couldn't drink liquids after noon or so. Dave went with me to the hospital and after paperwork and explanations, I was zonked out on 50 micrograms of fentanyl. The next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery.



I've often wondered if I'd be able to keep up my blog, were I hospitalized for any length of time. I guess it's possible to take a colorful photo even in a hospital!

Anyway, the endoscopy apparently found nothing alarming. I say "apparently" because there are still routine biopsies being done, but the only thing the doctor noted in her report is that I have a hiatal hernia, as well as "non-erosive" gastritis. Which I take to mean that I don't have any ulcers or other visible deterioration of stomach tissue.

Of course this is a huge relief, because, y'all, I thought I was dying. I have literally been walking around like a zombie the past couple of weeks envisioning a terrible fate at the hands of my stomach. (Not that my stomach has hands.)

There's still the gastritis to deal with, and as we've discussed my inflammation markers are elevated, so I'll talk to the doctors in my followup appointment about how to handle that. I'm cutting back on alcohol and I suppose I may have to watch my coffee intake as well. (Sigh!)

Ironic, then, that the first thing Dave and I did upon being released from the endoscopy unit was go to Starbucks. But hey, I was celebrating. And I was hungry. If I'm not immediately dying, I want to LIVE.

Which brings me back to Pugh's "Feral Borough," and a passage that spoke to me as I was reading in the garden yesterday morning: 

"To live in the feral borough then is to be in kinship with everything outside my door. Jackdaws on the bus shelter roof. Someone's snuffling dog, straining against the lead. Those feral pigeons -- a fitting emblem for this book -- following a buzzard over the terraced streets, keeping the predator firmly in view. That counterpoint between the rare and ordinary, wild and domestic and whatever lies between the two is part of what I love about my home. Living here has taught me so much: To be with both nature and the city, noise and quiet, life and death, to hold all that, all at the same time. Because we humans are feral too, and life is brief."

32 comments:

Frances said...

Good news re the endoscopy.
I think that you should treat yourself to a more comfortable chair for the garden!!

Moving with Mitchell said...

What a intriguing passage (from the book, not from your insides). It represents your blog wonderfully, as if it were written for it.

Glad about the news from the endoscopy. The hernia and gastritis would I think explain your symptoms, and I assume both are easily treatable. The hospital photo is excellent. Nice hose.

Sabine said...

Excellent news, Steve!

I am not usually prone to give medical advice - I lost count of the number of fail safe cures people have tried to push on me - but for hernia and gastritis related symptoms, we, ie several members of my family, have had wonderful and fairly instant results after elevating the head of the bed. eg with a foam wedge under your sheet or whatever, there are lots of ways to suit any kind of bedroom, ask google.

And now you can enjoy the spring and whatever comes your way, more walks please. I really enjoy your reporting from walking around London.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

If you do die will you be buried in Hampstead Cemetery? Please give Dave my blog address so that he can contact me in the event of your demise. I should like to come down to London to throw a handful of soil on your coffin. I have already purchased a new black tie.
P.S. I appreciated the paragraph that you typed out at the end of this blogpost.

Ed said...

You aren't alone in imagining the worst whenever something new arrives health wise. A sure sign of aging and knowledge.

jabblog said...

The book sounds wonderful - thank you for the extract.

David said...

Phew, what a relief! I am not sure how I would cope if your blog disappeared. I too appreciated the extended quote from the book at the end of your post. I was tempted to skip it (I tend to speed read) but I am glad I didn't. Very moving.

gz said...

Good news... something that is capable of being dealt with!

I like that image of Olga and the blue door

Dov said...

I've had GERD for years which turned into Barrett's esophagus. It's all under control thanks to Meds. Endoscopy every 2 years to just check things.

Pixie said...

Even though we tell ourselves that everything is fine, a part of us worries. Twenty years ago they thought I had ovarian cancer, fortunately it was only a chocolate cyst, but I remember that feeling. I'm glad you're not dying, well, at least not soon:)

I love your garden, and Olga.

Boud said...

Good news on the test. It sounds like something you can manage. I'm guessing that after the inflammation goes away you might be able to reintroduce the current coffee and an occasional martini.
I was advised to raise the bed, extra pillows etc, too.

Bob said...

Glad you got some good news, and I giggled a bit at your Susan Hayward moment, "I want to LIVE!"

Fiona said...

Try reading the clever guts diet by Dr Michael Mosley, it's got lots of useful info on gut inflammation. Regards, Fiona.

Marcia LaRue said...

I'm just glad to read you will be writing your blog for some time to come! What with all the ups and downs of life, random pictures from your walks in the City, library scenarios ... well, we would miss you terribly! ❤️

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, Steve! I'm so glad that nothing seems to be dreadful. I mean, that doesn't take away the pain but the worry is so much worse. I suffer from that particular form of anxiety myself.
Now keep Olga out of the suet balls and keep reading good books and life will continue as pleasantly as life can be.

ellen abbott said...

I had to look up hiatal hernia. seems like that is the source of your discomfort. and are you wearing shoes lying in the hospital bed?

humans are definitely feral.

Ellen D. said...

I'm glad you were relieved by the endoscopy news. Worrying probably made the problem worse but we can't stop ourselves sometimes, can we?!
Hope you find ways to help so the discomfort disappears.

Susan said...

Great news! All easily managed. I was once told, "No coffee." My compromise is less coffee and more cream/milk. Olga got curious and caused a bit of trouble. The suet could not have been very tasty. I agree, sharing the land with wildlife is amazing and to be embraced.

Sharon said...

I love that headline! Great news about all the testing. It always feels good to get past these little medical hurdles. Hopefully, you will figure out if something specific is causing the problems.
Olga looks very comfortable on her bed in the garden.

Red said...

A very high percentage of people over 50 have some degree of hiatal hernia. It's a nuisance but most people live with it. It does worry you though.

Linda Sue said...

Hiatal hernia can be so problematic- My father had that as well as gastric distress- his lifestyle put him there I reckon. Stress, eating foolishly and not getting enough sleep, drinking gallons of coffee- no longer could he eat at night. The hernia resulted in violent hick-ups and up-chucks. Diet became important all of a sudden- anti-inflamatory foods acceptable. As a teenager- I refused to go out to dinner with Dad- fearing that he would up-chuck in his coffee cup, as he was wont to do...Do not let it get to that point, Steve!!!
I am very pleased to hear that you are not dying. I would miss you so damned much I would just have to die as well!
OLGA is looking mighty!

Jeanie said...

Very good news that you aren't dying. This is always a plus and I'm elated. I hope the rest of the results are fine but whew -- just hearing what you did is a huge relief. I love your comments on if you're not dying, living -- and that quote at the end is exquisite.

Margaret said...

My cat loves any popcorn I leave around. She drags the bag off the counter and licks the kernels. She is a butter fanatic! I'm glad that the test results are boring; those are the best kind! So, coffee and alcohol bother your stomach? Why couldn't it be vegetables?

Kelly said...

I'm glad you're not dying! But at the quotation says.... life is brief, so get out and enjoy being feral with Olga in the garden. I love to see her frog-legging. ☺️

Jim Davis said...

Excellent news on the endoscopy!! Seems like the things we like the most are the ones that our digestive tracts don't fancy. Dogs! They'll eat most anything....

The Bug said...

That's great news! Although over on my blog people have been telling me to stop drinking Diet Sundrop and that feels very drastic so I hope you don't have to give up your coffee!

Catalyst said...

Love that sentence: "If I'm not immediately dying, I want to LIVE." Everyone should put that on a plaque to hang on their wall.

Andrew said...

You must be very relieved at the endoscopy result, but of course it hadn't fixed what ails you.
Suet balls. Oh dear!
I like the passage from the book.

Debby said...

Very good news that you're not dying. Pleased to see it. But the 'y'all!' You're channeling your inner 'Mary Moon'!

It amazes me that you wake up and your mind starts seeing colors and art in motion. You've got an artist's eye.

River said...

It might be worth writing down everything you eat and drink and the times for a week and see if you can find any triggers besides the usual coffee and alcohol. Or simply take some sort of antacid after every meal or just after brwakfast and dinner.

Steve Reed said...

Frances: I should! We have the bench,but if I want to sit in the sun I need the folding chair.

Mitchell: I don't know what to do about the hernia, if anything. I guess the docs will go over that with me. The gastritis is just a matter of controlling stomach acid, I think.

Sabine: No, thanks for that valuable advice! I've heard that from a lot of people. I've been hesitant to do it because I sleep on my side, but I might buy a wedge pillow or something.

YP: There will be no burying, no matter where I die.

Ed: It IS possible to know a little too much. I wish I could dwell in ignorance of certain health-related issues.

Jabblog: I really liked it! Definitely a good purchase!

David: Well, thank you, but I'm sure you would cope just fine. :)

GZ: Yes, indeed, it's hopefully an easily treatable situation.

Dov: They took some esophageal biopsies to check for Barrett's. Fun times!

Pixie: Right -- I guess we're ALL dying in the grand scheme of things, but let's not think of it that way, OK? What on earth is a chocolate cyst?

Boud: My martini days may be largely past me, unfortunately. They ARE very harsh on the stomach.

Bob: So gay!

Fiona: Thank you! Dave has a lot of "guts" books because of his Crohn's, but I'm not sure he has that one.

Marcia: Awwww, thank you! It's good to know I would be missed. :)

Ms Moon: I agree, the uncertainty is the worst part. Even if it's something bad, at least KNOWING allows one to treat it and face the music in whatever way is required.

Ellen: Ha! I am wearing my shoes! They told me not to take them off, for some reason. I wore them all through the procedure.

Ellen D: Yeah, I wonder how anxiety has contributed to this whole situation!

Susan: Yeah, I think I'll try watering down my coffee but not giving it up entirely!

Sharon: Yeah, I hope I get some answers!

Red: It's never bothered me before now, if it's even the source of my current discomfort.

Linda Sue: Oh, Lord, that sounds awful. I am not that far along!

Jeanie: This is, indeed, always a plus! (That made me laugh!)

Margaret: I know, right? It's always the fun stuff! My dad had a cat that used to get into the butter dish. She'd eat a whole stick of butter if they let her.

Kelly: Indeed. I can't spend my brief life worrying. We need to move forward!

Jim: Or maybe we just consume too much of the things we like the most? :)

Bug: Ha! I think I questioned your SunDrop intake, but I didn't realize it was diet.

Catalyst: It is a good motto, at any age!

Andrew: Yeah, it just helps to rule things out.

Debby: Ha! Mary DOES inspire me, as I've often told her, but since we're both Floridians we also have similar speech patterns.

River: Well, I already take a PPI, and apparently I'm not supposed to take antacids on top of that. So it may just be a matter of watching what I eat.

Colette said...

I'm so happy to hear you are not dying! How scary that must have been.