Friday, May 17, 2024

'Opening Night' with Gators


Yesterday was unremarkable until after work, when I went down to Soho to see a show. I had a couple of hours to kill before curtain time, so I revisited this pub on Tottenham Court Road, which I went to 24 years ago on my first trip to London. I wrote in my journal in April 2000: "Ate lunch at a pub called the Jack Horner, where I had a fish & cheese 'pie' (in a bowl) called a 'parson's hat.' Not sure why it's known as a pie, since it was nothing like one!"

I guess I was unfamiliar with the word pie in the British sense...?

Anyway, it was fun to go back. I didn't eat this time. In fact, I didn't even look to see whether they still serve a "parson's hat." I just had a pint and sat reading. It's a good old-fashioned pub with lots of wood and no pretensions of glamor.

Then I walked around for a bit, taking pictures:



Eventually I stopped at Pret for an inexpensive soup and sandwich, and sat in the window reading the first volume of David Sedaris' diaries, "Theft By Finding." I've read it before -- in fact the library copy I'm reading used to be my own -- but none of it stuck with me so it's like new. I laughed out loud at his 1981 description of Jim Bakker: "He looks like a baby monkey. Not just a baby. Not just a monkey."

After Pret I still had an hour to kill, so I read at an outdoor table on Old Compton Street and had a syrupy glass of cheap rosé before making my way to the theater.

I was there to see "Opening Night," Ivo van Hove's new musical based on the John Cassavetes movie from 1977. It hasn't been a commercial success and it's about to close, but I wanted to catch it before it did. It's about an alcoholic actress who's struggling to connect with her character in the days before the opening of a show, and having something of a breakdown exacerbated by the death of a fan outside the theater. Rufus Wainwright wrote the score, and Sheridan Smith does an excellent job as the actress, played by Gena Rowlands in the original movie. I thought it was an interesting, innovative show, but the woman next to me disappeared at intermission so apparently opinions are mixed.

A woman in the row in front of me kept complaining about the man sitting in front of her. She said he was too large and she couldn't see around him, and said something about how "it shouldn't be allowed in the theater, but there you are." She eventually changed seats.

Here's the man:


I don't know if she was upset about his hat or his Florida track suit. He didn't engage with her at all, as far as I could see. I'm not sure he was even aware.

And then, on the way home, this woman was walking in front of me toward the tube:


What are the odds?!

22 comments:

River said...

I don't think the woman was objecting to the Florida shirt or the cap, his size seems to be the problem. If I was behind him I wouldn't see a thing either and would have to move. I'm short, five feet nothing.
John Cassavetes, didn't he make the movie Rosemary's Baby all those years ago?

Steve Reed said...

River: No, that was Roman Polanski!

Moving with Mitchell said...

Although I empathize with the woman having her view blocked and that would have frustrated me, I wonder if she felt large people shouldn’t be allowed in the theatre (but there you are). A bit extreme. She’d say the same about me because I’m tall.

I love David Sedaris and don’t remember reading “Theft by Finding.”

Andrew said...

The Jack Horner sounds like an honest English pup. They are dying out but should be treasured. Fish and cheese together? No fanks.

From afar I know about the Admiral Duncan. You were wise to not enter and encounter...you know, those people.

Why the woman would 'body shame' the person in front of her is strange. She should have kept her mouth shut and just moved.

Pret, like the chain has inexpensive food? Not in my experience. It seemed expensive.



Boud said...

A bit difficult to assign seating based on size! Your street scenes are always interesting, much better than the tourist sights people tend to take. It's the advantage, to us, of your living there.

Debby said...

I agree with Andrew. There was no reason for the woman to say one word. She should have simply moved. I hope the man was not aware.

Elle Clancy said...

What a dreadful woman. Body shaming indeed.

I love David Sedaris. Laugh-out-loud reading for me.

Kelly said...

Sitting in a pub, having a pint, and reading a book sounds relaxing.

When I said your phone would identify dogs and cats yesterday, I meant specific breeds! Try it on some photos of Olga. Ours are all mixed breeds, so it's fun seeing what the phone thinks they are.

Steve Reed said...

I may be wrong, but I don't think the woman meant big people shouldn't be allowed in the theatre. I think she was objecting to his clothing -- but she DID say she couldn't see around him.

Susan said...

Some people find problems wherever they go. A quick change of seat would have been her easy solution. Two Florida shirts in one evening is telling you something. Maybe a return visit to Florida? A good British pub is always enjoyed. The food and ambiance is next to none.

Ms. Moon said...

Perhaps there was some sort of tour for Gainesville residents in London. That's the only reason I can think of for two people to be wearing Gator apparel.
That is a big guy but what's he supposed to do? Just not go to the theater I guess.

Ellen D. said...

That is an interesting coincidence that you saw Florida people, Steve.
I like your colorful photos!

Linda Sue said...

Could be like when you buy an American made EV and then notice all of the American EVs that were not there before? You may be experiencing that with Florida references. Maybe you are homesick? Don't be- you are in the most fabulous town on the planet IMHO! I love your street shots too. Makes me homesick for London!
Admiral Duncan flags everywhere - so refreshing.

Red said...

I don't like huge people sitting in front of me but that's the way it goes. they have as much right to see the show as I do.

Bob said...

Simple solution: move. Why does everything have to =be a Poor Me Scenario. Just move.

ellen abbott said...

large people shouldn't be allowed in a theater to see a show? she'd rather have Lauren Boebert and her boyfriend groping each other instead?

Sharon said...

Looks like the Floridians (or Florida tourists) were out in force last evening. I don't remember ever seeing the movie but I do love Gena Rowlands so maybe I have. Anyway, sounds like an interesting play.
P.S. I would not have been able to see around that guy either.

Margaret said...

Being short, it can be frustrating to have a tall person in front of me, but that's the way it goes sometimes. What are the odds indeed? Florida on your mind?

Catalyst said...

Wonderful photos. Thanks!

Jim Davis said...

Good one Ellen!!

Jeanie said...

It's Florida week in London! It sounds like a good evening. I think I'd like that show. Pity it is closing. Sheridan Smith would be a plus! I haven't bought tix for anything in October yet -- waiting to see what will be coming that hasn't opened yet, but I'm getting itchy!

Pixie said...

He was a big man, just move. Women seem to have a hard time with being assertive and just moving, rather they complain, hoping the other person will do something. It's part of how we're raised, especially if we're older.

I looked at your link and was surprised at how different trailers were in the '70s, as opposed to now.

When I was in Vancouver, I tried taking some street photos, you inspired me, and some even weren't too bad.