Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Snail Sex and Voting


When I walked Olga yesterday morning -- which can hardly be called a "walk" anymore, because she only goes to the corner, sniffs the garbage inevitably piled there and comes home -- we came across these two snails. I think this is SNAIL SEX! I've seen slug sex before, but I'm not sure I've ever seen snails going at it. Not that there's much to see.

Unfortunately, this was in the middle of the sidewalk, which is a dangerous place for even one attentive snail, much less two distracted snails. So who knows whether they survived their canoodling.


This was my breakfast -- bran flakes with the season's first blackberries from our garden. They're still a little firm and tinged with red, as you can see, so they're not quite at their ripe peak. I may wait a bit longer before harvesting any more. Still, it's good to know we're coming around to harvest time.

I did some more work in the garden and put the fox cam back out after compiling yesterday's video. Some of you asked how the fox gets access to the garden, when it's fenced or walled on all four sides. Well, there's a spot in the back left corner, where the fence and back wall come together, where the fox enters and exits. It walks along the wall and jumps down onto an old compost container that's sitting back there, and then into the garden. It departs the same way. It's a very agile critter! Anyway, I put the fox cam in a new position where we might see some of that action.


And then I noticed this, which just amused the hell out of me -- a pigeon, sitting on the Russians' balcony railing, despite their fiddly pigeon spikes and their silly bird-deterring beach balls. I got such a kick out of it. I am a terrible person.

I had to drop by work in the afternoon to run some quick errands. This year I'm voting for the first time since changing my permanent U.S. address from my parents' house to my brother's house in Jacksonville, and there's a primary election in August. Even though it's just a primary, I wanted to vote so I could test the process before the big election in November. So I went to school, printed the primary ballot and the supporting documents, and got it all mailed. I only voted in one race -- for Florida senator -- and everybody knows the Democrat faces an uphill battle anyway, so my choice in the primary probably doesn't make a huge difference. But as I said, it allowed me to get familiar with the process.

I mailed my ballot and once again marveled that I could pay the postage (about £2.50) with a credit card. Seriously, who needs cash anymore? Even tiny transactions can be done with a card and I am all for it. In fact, as I think I've said before, if someone came up with an implantable debit card chip that allowed us to scan our wrists in order to buy anything, I'd get one of those suckers installed in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, I've also had some bad health news coming from family members, and I've been depressed about that. I don't want to go into any details in order to respect their privacy, but safe to say I have a couple of relatives who have had or are having serious health issues. A reminder, I suppose, that we live in a world of constant uncertainty.

Last night it rained and the slugs and snails were out like crazy. I pulled handfuls of them off our vulnerable plants and brought in a few of the dahlias to keep them from becoming slug chow.

27 comments:

  1. Was one of the snails bouncing up and down at all?

    I use my phone to pay now, but I still carry at least one card with me, and a little cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened upon 2 snails at it yesterday....they went for a holiday flight together to next door's wilderness of a garden!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of family health troubles. I'm not a big fan of credit/debit cards. I have one and use it to get cash from the ATM, it's so much easier to stop spending when your cash runs out. I also like the challenge of making the cash last as long as possible or at least until the next pension payday. I haven't seen any slugs or snails here but I know they're out there eating away at my baby rhubarb. If it didn't rain every night I'd sprinkle snail bait since nothing else seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that two of your family members are facing health issues Steve. I hope these issues are not in your brother's house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that implanted chip was already a thing somewhere. You would have to be careful about walking anywhere near a machine reader - no waving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is good that you are voting, even if it is just a primary. I've noticed over the last ten years or so that Florida is increasingly becoming a red state with little to no chance for Democrats. And Virginia has become less red as time goes on, though the latest polls call for Trump to be within striking distance of Biden here in VA. Oi! Sorry to read about the health issues with family members. Life is in a constant state of flux I think. That's why it is important to live each day to the fullest. Easier said than done though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always hard to deal with health troubles of family and friends, es pecially when they are far away. I hope you can find a way to comfort and support all involved, incl. yourself.


    Visiting family in New Zealand, we experience first hand life without any cash. Even buying freshly picked fruit on a road side stand is done with an EFTPOS card, the first thing you get organised after arrival. I haven't seen a coin or a bank note at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about health news in the family, and I wish them well.
    Here our tradesmen are all check or cash. They don't want the fees associated with cards. The other cash place is the local farm stand.
    I like Olga's current version of a walk! She has become a homedog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing up on a farm, I've seen lots of canoodling but have never seen snail canoodling. Perhaps the oddest canoodling I've witnessed were two small lizards of some sort that met and mated above my curtains in a motel room along the shores of the south China sea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pigeon on the railing gave me my first smile of the d ay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Russians will be seeking new ways to repel the pigeons. What next? Great to vote. Most critical. Sorry to hear about family health concerns, that is a constant worry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you are voting, Steve. It is smart to test out the system before November.
    I still like to use cash for small purchases. I worry about losing track of all of the charges on the credit card bill...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree with Bob- Thank you for the photo and the laugh and thank you Mr. pigeon.If the bird had a thumb it would be thumbing it's beak. No cash crazy- I love coins and bills , I love flipping real cash in the busker's hat and the homeless' cup. There is not much more satisfying than the feel of coins or a stack of quarters. Kids selling lemonade on the corner- selling lanyards made in spare time, selling cookies- cash only. Jumble sales, garage sales , yard sales- cash only. Not a fan of tech! And what about the exotic dancers - no money tucked in their belt? What then?

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, so sorry about your family members who are having health problems. I guess we all do in the end, eventually, but the knowledge doesn't make it easier at all.
    I, too, love the pigeon. I can just hear that bird saying, "Eff you, mothereffers!"
    Or whatever it is that pigeons say in such situations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I will ever get old enough to under stand the US voting system. Now there's a blog post for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hurray for getting your primary ballot in the mail! DeSantis has done everything he can to further ruin Florida!
    I hope no one stomped on the snails 🐌🐌 ... maybe just moved them into the weeds!
    For all you have endured living beneath the Russians, I think 🤔 you deserve a good laugh or two at their expense!
    Hopefully the family situation works out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pigeon on the balcony is very amusing.
    I just mailed my primary ballot a few days ago. I doubt my vote makes much difference either. Arizona might have been purple 3 years ago but it's getting redder this year. It's depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also am immensely amused by the pigeon on the Russians balcony railing.

    unfortunately we are in that phase of life when people we know, our contemporaries, start dying. found out last week an artist friend had died.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry to hear of your family's health problems. I hope it works out okay. It must be hard to be so far away from them at a time like that.

    I like that plucky pigeon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That photo of the pigeon made me chuckle too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just looked back at yesterdays video. I think we're going to have to get a more up to date night camera.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the pigeon on the balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do know of some places that still prefer cash money because it costs them to accept cards. I have some taxes that I pay each year where I pay by check because they charge a fee to pay online with a card and the fee is more than the tax itself!

    You are not a terrible person. I started grinning when I first looked at the photo! A bit of karma. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to hear about the bad health news in the family. It's inevitable in every family but it doesn't make it any easier. The snail sex made me smile at least.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am still amazed that foxes live in London as if they were in a nature reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry to hear that members of your family are having serious health issues and I hope they are getting good care in a timely way that will help alleviate some of it. Thank you for voting-- we need all the help we can get. I love the fox cam -- and like you, amused by the pigeon!

    ReplyDelete