Monday, July 29, 2024

Flies and Poetry


Hmmm. What's attracting flies to my blog? Could it be the scent of stinky writing?

Why yes! I think that's exactly what it is. Because today's blog post is going to be particularly stinky.

One of my best friends in high school and college was recently cleaning out some boxes and came across a stack of my old poetry, which I had carefully compiled into a manuscript, complete with a title page and table of contents, and given to her. (She also fancied herself a poet, and had done the same for me, so I was returning the gesture.) She mailed it to me, and I received it yesterday.

Now, we're talking poetry that I wrote as a teenager. I've blogged before about my collegiate poetry writing career, and over the years I had discarded many of those poems. I threw some out when I lived in Florida, probably around the time I moved to New York. I threw more out soon after we moved to London.

But I must say, I got a kick out of receiving those poems in the mail and reading them again. The universe sent them back to me like a boomerang! Here's one that's not too bad, written in 1984 when I was 17. I wrote several poems around that time for a high-school writing competition that I ultimately won. This is not one of the poems I submitted, but I probably wrote it with that contest in mind.

Azalea

Curved and rippled,
triumphant,
yet almost too temporary
to be enjoyed.
Pink, magenta, mauve,
speckles, spots,
the Floral Leopard.
Sloping throat,
deep pink shadows,
a purple horn, curling upward,
trumpeting colors
to the sun.

Many of them, though, are less observational and more laden with the kind of emotional drama that one would expect from a teenager. I have a couple called "Because of YKW," and I know YKW stands for you-know-who, which is what my mother used to call my father. My poems were not about my father, though -- they were about some erstwhile love interest. I was simply borrowing my mother's term to keep that person anonymous (never mind any Freudian implications). It took me a while to even remember who YKW was.

Similarly, there was this one, from March 1986:

To D: The Last Light of a Bad Day

The streetlights, the orange kind,
Glow against a faint remainder of blue sky.
A peaceful end to a glaring day.

(Do you even like me?)

This cement is cooling, the heat being lifted by the night
In steaming columns...

(Half of me says you do, the other half, well...
Is it unreasonable to push things so fast?)

Mosquitoes --
Always mosquitoes on a cool night!

(Do I bother you or something?)

Relief is a great feeling.
The pressure is off, once again, until tomorrow.

(I'll see you again tomorrow.
Are you looking forward to it?
I'm living for it, it seems.)

I feel cool, relaxed, ready to meet

(any challenge.)

I wrote that when I was 19, and D was a guy in my college Spanish class who I was crushing on at the time. I'd forgotten about him completely and like YKW, I had to think to remember who D was. It's funny that I saw myself as possibly "pushing things too fast" because I don't think I pushed things at all. We did hang out together before and after class, but I never even asked him out!

Anyway, it's not very poetic, but it is very teenagery. As I told my friend in a thank-you message yesterday, "It's great to revisit our younger selves from a position of relative 'wisdom!'" Now that all these poems have returned to me, I'll keep them. They don't embarrass me as much as they used to, because I'm so far removed from them now that I can see them as a product of youth.

And look! It's another fly!

25 comments:

  1. The poems are great. I could never write poetry, I always thought everything had to rhyme and I just wasn't good at it. I do have one son who was good with Haikus while at school, his teacher suggested they were good enough to publish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not stinky poetry! My angst riddled short stories from my late teens and early twenties STANK. And those diaries...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading the two poems

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed reading the poems - especially given the context (teenage years, unrequited crush, optimism of youth etc). I was never a poet, but I did write - I was editor of my high school magazine for 3 years. And when I look back at some of the drivel I wrote then, I absolutely cringe. But like you, I can disconnect myself from it all - it doesn't sound like me, so it isn't mine after all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your first poem but the second one really hit a chord with me. If I knew at that age I could express my feelings in writing, I expect I would have produced a voluminous amount of private writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh to be a fly on the wall of your youth. (In my head, that sounded poetic.) Of course your writing was good even then. I’m reminded of a poem I wrote to a junior high school crush. I was the sun and she was the moon, and there was something about where our light was shining. It’s painful to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "a purple horn, curling upward" reminds me of something but I just cannot think what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading our younger writing is like entering a lost world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strange adventure, reading what young you wrote, from the vantage point of now you, with all the experience between then and now! Such a different person yet not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poems ... Oh, yes ... I have written a few! However, mine do rhyme! Thank goodness I will be ashes in a box by the time my son and daughter in law ever read any of them! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve, I honestly think these are lovely poems and you have no need to feel anything but proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your poems and can see your writing talent shining through even way back then. I had a quirky knack of writing poems for family celebrations but the lines always had to rhyme with "Boop Boop Be Do" as that was always the last line of each stanza!?!
    I'm glad your friend saved those poems for you, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well that wasn't stinky at all. I'm surprised that as a teenager you wrote so much and that it was saved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are lovely poems. Thanks for sharing them. I don't think I wrote poems as a teenager but now I wish I had. It would be fun to read. Every now and then I come across letters I wrote to my parents or sisters and I always enjoy reading those. It's a glimpse into what was important to me at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember reading some of my old writing, it was cringe worthy. So much drama. But I'm older now and it's becoming easier to be kind to my young self.
    Thanks for sharing your poems Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your poems are very good and reflect a life stage and youth. They are nice to have and remember a different time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As you know, I have PLENTY of poetry to make me cringe. Oh man. I mean, I started writing rhyming verse in the 5th grade. Eep.

    I love that you wrote about a flower because that is VERY ON BRAND for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not good at understanding poetry. It's more a gut reaction that usually lets me appreciate a poem. But I think it's wonderful to read how you are re-exploring your younger self with these poems.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poetry is subjective and I didn't find yours stinky at all. I enjoyed your poems! It's wonderful that you were thinking about flowers even then!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not stinky at all! Poetry allows us to be less wordy and more intense. It can skip writing conventions so more from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely LOVE your old poetry- you have always been rather brilliant, through teen angst, ( do you even like me?) I love how you interpret the world around and within you.
    My old high school and early college essays/poetry are still in a drawer- they embarrass me and keep me humble...Dear lord , they are awful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved your poems! I used to write poems as a teenager myself, but they were always very dark and depressing. I guess it matched what I was going through, so in some way, I guess that writing those poems helped.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's fun seeing those again after years. When I was dealing with basement mold I found notebooks of high school poetry and -- well, let's just say, I won't be poet laureate. But they were fun to recall. I love that you wrote about flowers even back then!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these poems -- that flower one is musical, Steve! I think what we do when young is beautiful --

    ReplyDelete
  25. River: Haiku takes a special talent, so that's pretty impressive!

    Barbara: Ha! Yeah, the diaries and journals from that time period are even worse.

    Roentare: I'm glad I wasn't completely evil by inflicting them on you. :)

    David: Yeah, it's funny how we kind of outgrow that embarrassment. I guess it helps to recognize that ALL of us felt similar feelings as young people, and struggled with how to express them.

    Andrew: I wrote instinctively. I honestly don't know where I ever got the idea, but even as a nine-year-old I had a diary.

    Mitchell: Do you still have it? You HAVE to blog it, Mitchell! :)

    YP: Note the verb "trumpeting" and leave it there, you dirty old man. :)

    Jabblog: It's true! It's another time and place and person.

    Boud: Yeah, it's interesting to think that we're the same person now, and yet not.

    Marcia: Ha! Rhyming takes a special skill that I do not have. I'm not sure I ever tried to write rhyming poetry.

    Ms Moon: Well, that's very kind. I can't imagine having to teach high school English and reading stuff like this all the time. LOL

    Ellen D: Ha! That's hilarious! It's like you had a trademarked poetry style.

    Red: It really is a miracle that it was saved. Credit my friend who never throws anything away.

    Sharon: It can be very fun to go back and read our old writing, it's true. I always get a kick out of my old journals for similar reasons.

    Pixie: SO much drama! Why are teenagers so invested in drama?! But yes, being kind to our younger selves is definitely the key to reading any of it now.

    Susan: It IS great to have them. I'm glad my friend sent them to me and I'm sorry I ever threw them out myself.

    Bug: It is! I was always into plants and flowers, even as a kid. I'm probably the only middle-schooler in the world who had houseplants.

    Sabine: Well, that's probably how poetry SHOULD be appreciated. It's supposed to be an emotional response, right? One of my failures as a poet was that I was (am) too literal and too cerebral (if I dare use that word in reference to myself).

    Kelly: Yep, always a plant guy, even back in the day.

    Margaret: Ideally, yes, that's what gives poetry its artistic advantage. I wouldn't say I exemplify that!

    Linda Sue: Thanks for your way-too-kind assessment. Oh, you should find some of your old poems and post them! I'd love to read them!

    Michael: I kept a journal which I think absorbed more of my dark and depressing tendencies, though honestly, I wasn't a very depressed kid. I was fortunate in that respect. It's good for anyone to vent all that stuff and work it out on paper.

    Jeanie: It's funny when you look back and remember writing a certain poem or essay -- and even funnier when you DON'T remember it.

    Elizabeth: It definitely captures something of our mindset at the time. I suppose even the angsty stuff is valuable in that sense.

    ReplyDelete