Friday, July 26, 2024

The Dahlia Report, and a Flashback


We are pretty much at the high point of the dahlias. After all the whining and complaining ("moaning," as the British would say) that I did earlier this spring about slugs eating them, I thought I'd report back to show you how well they turned out. Overall, I'm pretty happy.

(I can see my brother rolling his eyes: "Oh no! He's blogging about plants again.")


This is probably the best-looking of the bunch, with darker-colored flowers. It's one of the Bishop's Children variety, and I like them because the flowers are open and accessible to bees and other pollinators. We see hoverflies on them all the time.

That gigantic green plant on the left is a Nicotiana, which is sending up a flower stalk that should bloom in a few weeks.


Here are three more Bishop's Children, with a geranium in the middle. All of these dahlias are elevated off the ground, which has kept slugs and snails to a minimum. That middle dahlia doesn't have a single flower bud, and I have no idea why.


Here are three more, two Bishop's Children and a Gallery Valentin (top, on the milk crate). The two on the bottom have had more trouble with slugs, which is why the foliage looks thinner. I was bringing them inside every night for a while, just to get them out of the gate with enough growth to survive. I left them out last night and pulled two fat slugs off them this morning, so I suppose I may keep bringing them indoors, even though it's a pain.

They'd be fine if I could keep them off the ground, but I'm out of elevated surfaces!

The one on the left has a couple of flower buds, but I don't see any on the right-hand plant.


Finally, this is our orange dahlia -- I can't remember the name of the variety, if I ever knew it -- which was so demolished by slugs or snails that it's barely grown at all. I'm not sure we're going to get a flower from it this year, but hopefully it's at least big enough to keep the roots alive for a fresh start next spring.

So that's the dahlia report. Aren't you glad you know all this? I'm writing it as much for myself, to keep track of all the plants' performance, as for you, but hopefully it hasn't been agony to read.

The funny thing is, it's almost accidental that we have all these dahlias. I grew the Bishop's Children ones from seed, and I've just kept them going year after year by keeping them in pots and tucking them away in the shed every winter. (Dahlias are not frost-hardy.)

In other news, Dave and I celebrated our 14th anniversary last night at The Ledbury in Notting Hill. We were civil union-ed when we lived in New Jersey -- before gay marriage -- on July 21, 2010. (And then married on Dec. 22, 2015, after marriage became legal.) We always consider the July anniversary our real one, because we would have been married then had it been an option.


Here we are on that day, with our two ancient boxers, Ruby and Ernie. (Who belonged to Dave before he met me.)


And here we are in the oh-so-glamorous office of the mayor of East Brunswick, who performed the ceremony as we all sat at his conference table. I remember we laughed afterwards about how weird it was that we didn't even stand up.

Sometimes I am shocked by how time passes. We've lived in London 13 years now, and ten in the same flat. I think both of us feel like we've got a good thing going.

Anyway, at the Ledbury, I had the tasting menu with wine pairings, and I wore the jacket. Dave also had the tasing menu but owing to his Crohn's he cut back on the wine. Which I probably should have done as well, to be honest. I am a bit foggy this morning.


Dahlias look beautiful even from behind, don't they?

36 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Anniversary.
    I am very jealous of your dahlias......a friend who grows them gave me 5 or 6 earlier in the year ( a thanks for feeding her cat) but they are all reduced to bare stems now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You turned me into a Dhalia fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations 🎉
    That Dahlia from behind..just as interesting as from the front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you holding the mayor of East Brunswick's hand in that picture? Many congratulations on your anniversary with Dave. By the way, is the dahlia variety called "Bishop's Children" because the bishop had so many of them? Every time he drove by a nunnery or a convent there was probably a flurry of heated excitement inside. "Oh Mother Superior, the bishop is coming! The bishop is coming!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! Wishing you many more years of bliss.

    That final dahlia photo from the back is the best! Even more beautiful. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bishops Children. How queer.
    What lovely photos of you both. Fourteen years is not to be sneezed at.
    Indeed the backside view of dahlia is rather spesh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those flowers are lovely. As are you and Dave. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary, you are both looking great in these pictures - and now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I still LOVE that jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your anniversary. I LOVED looking at the photos. You both look so happy and your smiles are contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Annie! You were united legally just a few miles from where I sit now.

    Thank you for the vital dahlia report. I'm amazed any survived. Tougher than they look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on wedded bliss, and beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your anniversary! May you have so many more!
    I love seeing your flower pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy anniversary to you two. I especially love the jacket, very snazzy, truly. I've never had much luck with dahlias so I gave up on them. I'm a lazy gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bishop gets a lot of ragging in British humor, I think.
    But hey! Happy anniversary! I love both of those pictures of you and Dave! Truly happy, handsome men. And I love that wore _the_ jacket. Yes!
    Here's to many, many more, dear Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary! Best wishes for many, many more years of fun adventures and love!
    I love all of your flowers, Steve. Soon I will have zinnias blooming and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary, I love the jacket. I enjoy your plant blogs especially as I live in a frost pocket in often wet Nottinghamshire so your blogs often bring an idea of what is to come when it eventually warms up here in the northern part of the midlands.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy anniversary. You have two great days to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy anniversary! Those are two great photos of the two of you. An elegant dinner is a good way to celebrate.
    I took some photos of some dahlias that look exactly like these while I was in California. I was drawn by their very dark leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy anniversary and to many more! Your dinner celebration sounds lovely. Tasting menus are my all time favorite. Your dahlias have done remarkably well despite the slugs. Arranging pots in large groups like you have done makes a very nice display.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Happiest of anniversaries!

    Carlos and I moved in together on October 17, 2000, and then made it legal October 17, 2014--we kept the date the same because he's so forgetful.
    This year will be our Ten and Twenty-four!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on you anniversary!! Here's to many many more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the plant blogs, I get to vicariously enjoy the ups and down of plants, without any effort on my part. After the West Seattle house (1996-2006) I just lost all desire to plant anything. It was a tough yard, and I'm still done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary to you and Dave! Here's to many more happy years together! Also, I love the photos you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Anniversary! I loved the happy wedding shots. I was married December 15, 1984 and widowed on December 4, 2012 so December holds many memories for me. (not always pleasant ones) I've never grown dahlias and they are beautiful! If plants don't bloom, I always consider that they provide lovely greenery at least.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy anniversary!! I wish you many more years of happiness together!

    My younger daughter and SIL were married by Elvis in Las Vegas, but they were also civil union-ed right before the ceremony. I think they were sitting down for theirs, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Or I guess it wasn't really a civil union in their case.... just a judge marrying them since Elvis couldn't do it legally! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Anniversary! Great photos of you two.
    Love those dark leaved Dahlias. Mine have yet to bloom this year. Too hot here in NorCal. I used coffee grounds to keep the snails and slugs at bay in the spring (they were really bad this year after a wet winter) and it worked pretty well. x0x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, shoot, I'm late to the party. But happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WEll, that photo of you and Dave and Ruby and Ernie certainly made my day. The adorableness factor is big.
    Your flowers are nice too but not as cute!

    fourteen years is quite a thing these days of fly by night relationships. Very nice to know that you can be married and still love each other, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Anniversary to a lovely couple. The backshot dahlia is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on your 14th wedding anniversary!
    That Dahlia flower is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you so much, everybody, for your anniversary wishes! It was great to read all these comments and hear from so many of you, including some new voices. Thanks again.

    My dahlias appreciate all the compliments, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have gotten behind on my blog reading, I guess. Happy belated anniversary! It sounds as if a fine time was had by you both.

    ReplyDelete
  35. First of all, happy anniversary. I'm so very glad that you can be "official" -- long awaited! Your celebration sounds wonderful. Nice work with the dahlias -- they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Catching up post vacation, I have to add a belated Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete