Thursday, August 29, 2024

Benny and the Pyromaniac


The graffiti on the sushi shop has a "Scream" motif, well in advance of Halloween. I guess whoever wrote it is trying to get us in the mood.

Remember how I filed a maintenance request for the trimming of our front garden? Well, I also wrote to the landlords, just to give them a heads-up about that request and a few others for minor repairs. The landlord wrote back thanking me for the update but questioning whether the garden fell under our responsibility, as the lease dictates that the tenants do garden maintenance.

Now, ever since we moved in I've been under the impression that our landlord maintains the front garden while we do the back (which is most of the work, obviously). I don't know where I got this idea -- I think it was from the previous tenant, a woman who also taught at our school. The landlord has trimmed it without question a couple of times in the past, when we've asked.

But when I paged through our lease I couldn't find any clause pertaining to the front garden -- so maybe he's right. Maybe it IS our job. There's a clause that says the landlord must maintain the "exterior" of the house, and it could be that the front garden is considered part of the exterior, but anyway it's up in the air and I think we're waiting to see what the management company says. I would have trimmed it long ago if I'd thought we were supposed to.


I found this poster on my walk to work yesterday. Poor Benny! I looked him up online and it turns out he was swiped from his owner's car in a Tesco parking lot in Tring, a town in suburban Hertfordshire, FOUR YEARS AGO! Why the poster has just gone up now, in West Hampstead of all places, I'm not sure. Maybe Benny's owners figured a stolen Pomeranian was likely to surface in a place where well-off people have posh little dogs, as is true for some of our neighbors. (We, on the other hand, have Olga, the bulldozer.)


I also found this intriguing construction set out on the sidewalk. I assume it's a homemade dollhouse, but it amused me because it made me think of my childhood. My dad used to burn his own household trash -- he didn't like putting it out at the street. Several times when he had an empty box, we begged him to give it to us and we turned it into a house -- we cut windows in it and made furniture and hung paper towels at the windows for curtains, that kind of thing. And then we burned it down.

(I say "we" did this, but I honestly can't remember how involved my younger siblings were. I think it was mainly me and my stepbrother, who was my exact age -- probably 10 or 11.)

My father was disturbed enough by our enthusiasm that he pulled me aside and talked to me about it. I assured him we were just playing and we'd never set anything important on fire, which was completely true.

Later, as a newspaper reporter, I did a story about the fact that many pre-teen boys go through a period of fascination with fire. Apparently this has something to do with testosterone and psycho-sexual development blah blah blah, and this is why boys often manage to set dangerous fires. Fortunately, in our case, our blazes were confined to single boxes on our basketball court.

42 comments:

  1. Signs of wanting to be a home duties housewife at the age of 11. Yes, I had a fire stage about the same time.
    Here it is normal practice that the tenant maintains the garden, front a rear, although I doubt they would be expected to pay for tree removal or difficult pruning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ask The Russians to trim the front garden or it will end up looking like the aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that doll's House and am now sorry I tore up a big cardboard box just yesterday so it would fit in the recycling bin. I have little redheaded dolls who would love a house of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! The "burned it down" line made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reading this sweet story of you and a sibling creating houses out of old boxes and thinking “how sweet.” Then... “we burned it down” .. and I a cracked up. I didn’t know this was a thing among pre-teen boys, but I remember having the same fascination. I, however, did not burn down any kind of house, not even one with paper towel windows. I used to sit on the pavement and burn things with a magnifying glass. Once I burned the tip of my finger. I have no idea how I lasted long enough; it was hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine growing up in an urban area, you didn't have the opportunity to burn up anything large. Not without being detected, anyway!

      Delete
    2. Steve:
      I did live in the suburbs until I was 10 and did set a fire in the woods... but away from anything dangerous. I was careful.

      Delete
  6. I was a bit horrified about the burning it down, but I guess it's a phase. I wonder if the little dog's been spotted and they're trying to close in? Hard to accuse someone of having your stolen dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one professionally done missing dog poster for an ALLEGED cold case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these missing-pet web sites can help produce very professional looking flyers and posters.

      Delete
  8. I guess my brother never thought of doing that because he would have been burning things down on the regular. The only thing he ever burned (that I know of) is my terrarium, by spraying every perfume in the house inside it. Woo boy that reeked, and all the plants died of embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of our chores growing up was burning the household trash and I spent a fair amount of time putting boxes and such on the top and fantasizing as they burned up. But I never cut any holes or hang paper towel curtains! I guess I can understand how that might have disturbed your father a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet you would do a good job of trimming that front garden. You have such a talent for plant care. Do you have a design in mind for what you would like to see out front? Now's your chance! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll keep the design that's there, but just reign everything in a bit! It's so overgrown.

      Delete
  11. And of course you put paper towels in the windows for curtains! The better to fuel the fire! My brother went through a spell of setting the toilet paper (on the roller) on fire. He was younger then, though. Fire is very mysterious when you're a kid. And there is such power in it. A child's fascination with fire seems pretty normal to me.
    I do not know what to say about that missing dog poster. Very odd.
    As for the front garden trimming- hoo boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the fire fascination is definitely a power thing. It's flirting with disaster, basically.

      Delete
  12. I loved starting fires when I was a teen too. I think I'll teach Jack how to start one in our firepit and get that out of his system, fingers crossed. On a side note, I'm excellent at starting and building fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Hopefully, yes, starting a fire in the proper place will at least help him "contain" those urges.

      Delete
  13. I love the story about the box houses! Years ago, before Rick and I were Us, I lived across the street and when the boys were there I would see old fridge or stove boxes come out on the yard, with windows and flags hanging from them and little boys paying whatever they played. Who knew the future then! Poor Benny. And poor Benny's people. It would kill me if something like that happened to my family member cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, you lived across the street from Rick before you were a couple? I did not know this!

      Delete
  14. That is the most elaborate "lost dog" sign I've ever seen. Benny's people are serious about getting him back.
    I remember going through a childhood time of fascination with fire. I don't think I ever burned anything but paper but I used to love to watch the paper burn. Fortunately, that phase didn't last very long. However, I will say that I do love an nice fireplace fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all kids, regardless of gender, experiment with fire to some degree.

      Delete
  15. Poor Benny. I hope he's still alive. I have a healthy respect for fire, so that story disturbed me just a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he's still alive too! Don't worry, I didn't turn out to be a pyromaniac. :)

      Delete
  16. Some people are heartless and will do anything (except find a regular job) to make money. Poor Benny, as well as all the other dogs who have gone missing in the same way.

    So did your fascination with burning stuff translate into good woodland skills? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I couldn't start a campfire to save my life! Certainly not without a match or lighter (and probably lighter fluid too).

      Delete
  17. There is something hypnotic and fascinating about how fire destroys structures--now I sound like a pyro!

    ReplyDelete
  18. fire is fascinating- We loved it when we were feral and running wild at night. When Erik was about that age he too had a fascination- I still have the GI Joe still that met with oil lemon spray and a lighter.
    I would have taken that box with windows home with me if I couos carry it. I see art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, as someone above said, it would make a good dollhouse for the red-headed dolls!

      Delete
  19. I have been negligent on my blog reading of late and I am catching up on yours! I remember that before I retired, the last couple of years, when I'd get up to go to work after having the summer off, I would say to myself, "I have to go to work again?" Sorry those boys are still there in the library. I can just picture how they act. Glad Olga's teeth are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure thought they'd have moved on by now. But no!

      Delete
  20. I have wondered about the arsonist who burned down the apartment/shopping complex in the middle of our town. He is believed to have been the same person who damaged the local high school on more than one occasion. SWMBO says it seems like the actions of a pissed off former or present student. At any rate, he has stayed quiet since the big fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, anyone doing it as a teenager or adult is a whole different situation. That's not harmless playing, obviously.

      Delete