Friday, October 4, 2024

Bug Sex


Yesterday morning an 11th Grade girl came up to my desk and said, "Do you have one of those things that looks kind of like a safety pin? It keeps papers together?"

I said, "You mean a paper clip?"

"Yeah! That's it!" she said. "I couldn't remember the word!"

Dear God. I fear for the future.

And then later in the day, a fifth-grade boy put this book on hold:


Normally, a book like this would cause no concern at all. It's just biology, right?

But this book is written in a rather cheeky style, likening insect behavior to various human activities including orgies, bondage, rape, prostitution, wearing chastity belts and whatnot. Despite a Goodreads reviewer who says "it could be read by a middle school or high school student with no trouble at all," I had qualms about giving it to a fifth-grader. I could just imagine the questions it might prompt at the family dinner table. I showed it to the middle school librarian and she's going to follow up with the student to determine why he wants it -- is it because of the sex, or the bugs?

Ah, life in a school library.

This morning I have to be in extra-early (7:30 a.m.) because my boss is away and I have to open the library for some classes we have coming. 

I mailed Dave's ballot yesterday, so now we have both cast our votes. I snapped the top picture on my walk to the post office, on that same dog-legged street I photographed when I mailed my own ballot.

Finally, last night as we were going to bed, we let Olga out for a final walk around the garden. When we let her back in, we neglected to give her a treat. When she didn't come in the bedroom I wondered why, and I looked out the door and got this:


"Ummmmm...excuse me but WHERE'S MY TREAT?!"

32 comments:

  1. Olga, clever in her quiet way, gets everything she wants. My heart is filled with love for her. She always makes me long for the dog I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad she can be a "community dog" here in blogland!

      Delete
  2. You got up and gave her a treat, right?? I like the rainbow flags, they brighten up the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, we gave her a treat. She'd never have let us go to sleep otherwise!

      Delete
  3. More like "I am so disappointed the humans forgot my treat"
    I hope she got one. Not sure what happened to my comment about the car stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's there! It's on the Sept. 28 post, the one that mentions Maggie Smith. (I'm just seeing I never answered those comments -- argh!)

      Delete
  4. We had a elliptic cat who would not eat his breakfast until he had his small lump of cheese (with a tablet inside), they just know!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals like their routines a lot. When something happens every day they expect and even require it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Isn't it? Dave and I got such a laugh out of that look.

      Delete
  6. Lol at Olga. I don't know English grades. How old was the lad who wanted the book? 15+ would be ok in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fifth grader would be ten or eleven years old.

      Delete
  7. That Olga picture is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been skewered about this before but I'm someone who feels that grade school libraries should have their books censored or at least some of them restricted. But by fifth grade, kids are starting to get curious about things and I'm more receptive to them being able to check out books probably like the one you pictured above. Public libraries however, should be able to put whatever books they want on the shelves.

    P.S. In case you missed it due to your busy schedule, I did an in-between normally scheduled blog post on the identify of the dwarf major. You were correct that he wasn't a mayor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's a matter of censoring or restricting, but I do think librarians should use professional judgement in what they make available to kids. And I think nearly all of them do that. The protests focusing on certain books tend to overstate the level of access to those books, and the librarian's role in guiding students to the right material for them.

      Delete
  9. I love that photo of Olga! I think working in a library in these times of banning books would stress me out to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make one super-cautious, but honestly, I'd question this book's appropriateness even in less controversial times! It's not the bugs, it's the fact that "bug sex" is described in human sexual terms.

      Delete
  10. Our Molly is the same if we forget to give her a treat after she's been outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olga will not be ignored.

    Bug sex? And a book about it???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, weird, right? And no one has checked this book out in the 22 years we've had it. I wonder why?! LOL

      Delete
  12. I love Olga! That book makes me blush and I haven't even read it (it's fine for OTHER people, but I can be a bit of a prude - ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our dogs come and stare at us until they get their nighttime biscuits. Don't mess with their treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Olga does that at dinner time -- which is 6:30 p.m., sharp!

      Delete
  14. Our animals certainly do know when it's their treat times and they train us to be prompt about it.
    I'm curious- would it make a difference if the fifth grader wanted to read the Bug Sex book because of sex rather than bugs? Or vice versa? That's so funny. Now I want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sex is weird.
    Olga is perfect. Ohhh that little face...She can have whatever she wants, clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dogs can communicate far more than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you sure Olga said "excuse me"? It looks to me like there might have been an expletive in there. ;-) I got a text message from the county recorder, my ballot will be arrive late next week. It's going to be a long one with many propositions so it will take some work to get it done but I intend to do it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear that you did get up to give your sweet Olga her treat! How could you forget?!
    Once you mentioned that the book is 22 years old, I would say sure, let him check it out. I bet he will just flip through to look at the pictures and never read the whole thing...

    ReplyDelete