Thursday, March 28, 2024

Engineering


I'm sure you've all seen the news about the bridge collapse in Baltimore. I'm certain I've driven across that bridge before -- I have a dim memory of doing so, maybe when I was moving up to New York from Florida in 2000, with two cats in my rental car. (What a drive that was!) The video of the collapse, while horrible, was fascinating to watch -- the speed with which the entire span came down once that left-hand pillar was struck. It shows the exquisite engineering and tension that goes into building any bridge.

Of course it reminded me of the collapse of the Sunshine Skyway in 1980, an event I remember well from my adolescence in Tampa. Unlike in Baltimore, there was virtually no warning when the Skyway was struck by a ship and many cars (and a Greyhound bus) went into the water. It might have been my first experience with a full-fledged local disaster. It came not long after a similarly traumatic collision between two ships and both stories monopolized the news for months.

We've had a minor engineering mishap of our own here at Chez Olga. The other day, Mrs. Russia mentioned to Dave that we should have our bathroom window re-framed because the wood is old and weathered. We wondered how she would even know that, given that they can't see the window from their flat. (It's not that weathered and we're leaving it alone.)

We have a small garden shed with a sloped roof at the side of the house, beneath the Russians' terrace. Well, yesterday I realized that the roof covering of the shed had slid downwards by about six inches, as if someone stood on it and pulled it loose. Now we're getting rainwater through the boards of the roof, and that waterproof covering -- made of the same material as asphalt shingles -- needs to be pulled back up and re-nailed. I suspect that either Mr. or Mrs. Russia, for some reason, climbed down from their terrace onto the shed, damaging it, and accessed our patio (and thus saw our bathroom window). And then they didn't say anything about the damage. Super-annoying!

So that will be my Spring Break -- fixing the shed.


To make things more interesting, Dave is sick. He has a cold or something -- he hasn't taken a Covid test yet but he says he's very achey so I think that's a possibility. So maybe THAT will be my Spring Break!

On a positive note, though, H&R Block finally managed to successfully submit our tax return. The tax professional in the USA sent it to a Block affiliate in England, who submitted it with no problem. I guess the foreign phone number is only a barrier when taxes are submitted domestically, which makes sense. "I wish I'd thought of this a week ago," the American tax pro messaged me. So do I!



I shifted the avocado outdoors yesterday. After five months indoors, it needed more light and more moisture. It's on the patio for now, but I may eventually move it out to the lawn. The angle of the photo makes that pot look smaller than it is -- the tree probably is root-bound but not that bad! We still need to figure out a long-term plan for it.

Temperatures got down to 40ยบ F last night, which probably gave it a chill, but as long as we don't freeze again it will be fine. The weather is warming up after today so I don't think there's too much danger, though frost in April is certainly possible. If that happens we'll cover it and hope for the best.


It rained last night, so the tree got a good shower. It makes me happy to see water on the leaves. Nature as it should be.

Last night Dave slept all evening, so I didn't watch TV as we usually do. Instead I put on music. Remember how we had our Bose sound bar for the television repaired? Well, it doesn't work with our new TV but it sounds AMAZING when I play my iTunes over it using bluetooth.

If there's a happier, more fun song than Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science," I'm not sure what it is.

(Photos: Top, shadows on my walk home from work; Middle, shadows on our bedroom wall.)

27 comments:

Yael said...

I am always amazed by the personal care that each plant receives at your place, especially the very sensitive avocado. Here begins a week of 30 celsius every day. earlier than expected.

Poppypatchwork said...

I could not keep my avocado plant past winter months, with little space in our house, it was put in my greenhouse, where it slowly died. It was fun growing it, I did prefer my kiwi plant, the textures were amazing.

Frances said...

I grew 3 avocado plants ( just to see if I could) and I threw them all out yesterday as I decided they were not very attractive and were taking up space I need for nicer plants. They were 12-18 inches tall.
I would be having words with your neighbours if they are coming onto your property uninvited! ( and damaging things, though I guess you can't prove anything)

River said...

I saw the bridge disaster on the news and in the newspapers, today I heard the cargo ship (container ship?) was experiencing problems and should have not entered the harbor at all. Glad you got your taxes sorted.

Moving with Mitchell said...

The avocado appears to be thriving. I’ve said it before, the “Russias” would drive me up a wall. The bridge collapse is frightening to watch. Such a horrible tragedy that could have been so much bigger.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"The Russians Upstairs" sounds like a cold war novel. From everything you have said about them, they seem to have brought you nothing but grief and irritation. Your detective-like suspicions about the shed roof and the bathroom window are probably correct. Sometimes our instincts are spot on.

Jennifer said...

Just when you think the Russians can't get any more bizarre..! What a couple of weirdos!

I love your avocado!

Andrew said...

The Ruskies make good blog fodder, for sure. Are you expecting to get a delicious avocado from your tree? Don't hold your breath. We had one delicious avocado seven years after the tree was grown from a nut in the ground.

Bob said...

Oy, the Russians. I think you're right about them climbing onto the roof and thus being able to see your window. But they couldn't tell you that without admitting they caused the damage.

My boss lived in Tampa during that bridge collapse. I don't even remember hearing about it, but then I lived in California so it may not have been a Top Story!

Susan said...

I love your avocado tree. The bridge collapse is a very sad tragedy. I hear the ship lost their steering ability due to electronic failure. They called in the problem and the traffic was stopped on the bridge. Loss of life is 5-6 and these people were working on the bridge when it collapsed. I would be very tempted to install a hunting camera (available from Amazon) to monitor access to your property. People curb their curiosity when they see a camera recording. (You can tell neighbors you are viewing wildlife. I have a camera for similar issues.) I hope Dave is okay. Agreed - Best to test for Covid, just in case

Ellen D. said...

I forget, Steve, does your avocado plant produce avocados?
Your neighbors are goofy!

The Bug said...

Your stories about the Russians remind me of what I liked least about apartment living - you just never knew what your neighbors were going to get up to!

Pixie said...

Mr. and Mrs. Russia sound like oddballs, perhaps they will repair the roof they damaged. Lol.

Sorry to hear Dave is not feeling well and hope he recovers quickly.

That bridge video sent shivers down my spine. I only hope that those guys repairing the potholes on the bridge died quickly in the collapse and not slowly in the cold water.

Ms. Moon said...

Of course I remember the Skyway Bridge collapse too. That bridge was already scary enough to drive over BEFORE that happened.
I cannot believe that the Russians would climb down from their flat onto the roof of your shed. That's just weird as hell. As are they.
What odd and annoying neighbors.
Sorry that Dave is sick- not an unlikely thing to happen after his trip.

Boud said...

I was so upset to see the Key bridge collapse. I loved that bridge which I drove regularly in my broadcasting days, to and from meetings in DC, as a welcome alternative to the Baltimore Harbor tunnel. The Key bridge was high to cross, but less scary than being underwater and ground in the tunnel.

I hate to think what the loss will do to traffic in the tunnel.

Sorry Dave isn't well, and give him my wishes to get well soon.

I'd be inclined to hint to the Russias that I have a camera setup, just in case of intruders.. and see if it flusters them! If anything could. But I think you're too nice to do that.

Sharon said...

I found that video in the NY Times of the bridge collapse terrifying. It gave me a shiver. I'm not sure why but collapsing bridges fill me with fear.
I hope Dave gets better quickly. Being sick is not fun.

Ed said...

That disaster in Florida changed bridge building designs to include a large base around any supporting bridge piers to prevent exactly what happened in Baltimore. Unfortunately, the bridge in Baltimore was 5+ years old at the time of the change in bridge designs.

Kelly said...

Your dealings with the Russians never cease to amaze me. Very nice photos. That last one is my kind of photo! Hope Dave feels better soon.

Sabine said...

Go on, have a polite exchange with The Russians about the garden shed. Maybe not accuse them directly of your suspicions but say that it looks like an attempted break-in, someone bad and nasty climbing on your shed roof and have they noticed anything and say you have concerns about security risks and that you are thinking of calling the police to investigate and possibly will install a camera etc.

Hope Dave has not covid and will recover in time to enjoy the Easter break.

Allison said...

The Russians really are something. I'd be tempted to ask them how do they know the window needs to be re-framed.

Margaret said...

Oh, I hope it's not Covid! I got another shot that I hope will protect me on my trip to Texas. I'm concerned about the planes and the airports since many people I know who have flown have caught Covid. Ugh, I can't afford to do that. That's frustrating about the shed. I would try to needle a little, "I wonder how that could have happened? It's almost like someone stepped on it or something. Hmm, I'll need to think about that."

Red said...

Those Russians are a nuisance. London is the wrong place for them to live. They should live in Big Sky country like Monatana.

Wilma said...

I love "She blinded me with Science". SCIENCE!

John Going Gently said...

Am loving that brown bedroom and I don’t do brown

Will said...

As you say, that video of the bridge collapsing was both frightening and fascinating. The one bridge disaster that sticks in my mind is the film of the Tacoma Narrows bridge self destructing during a storm, the bridge deck oscillating makes for riveting viewing.

Jeanie said...

Well , since I'm reading backwards, I do know the shed story! But what I am dying to know is this -- does your avocado tree bear avocados in season (and what IS the season for that?). I've never seen one so big!

Debby said...

I am glad that the Russians are not invading... I also love the shadows on your wall. That is really a terrific shot.