Sunday, July 12, 2026

A River Cruise and Split


I spent most of our day in Split actually not in Split, but in the small town of Omis (pronounced Omeesh) and on the nearby Cetine River. As I mentioned, Dave and I bought an excursion that consisted of a river cruise and lunch in the forest, followed by a city highlights tour in Split. Dave didn't feel well enough to go, so I went on my own, along with about 20 other people from our ship.

We took a bus down the coastal road to Omis and were given a short time to wander the tiny town. Tommy is one of the main supermarket chains in Croatia, from what I can tell. I was seeing them all over the place.


Here's our trusty river boat, the Marco Polo.


And this is the scenery along the river. The Cetine River flows through a deep canyon with steep limestone walls, with little ramshackle fishing shacks along the banks. I have no idea what that round building is on the hilltop. Some kind of old fortification, maybe.


Rock-climbing is a popular activity in the canyon, as is ziplining. (I did neither, not that I was offered the option.) Can you see the rock-climber in the picture above? He did have ropes, at least.


The river seemed very clean and the water clear. I saw lots of ducks.

We chugged upstream for a while and eventually stopped at a sort of outdoor beer garden, where we disembarked and were given wine (at 11 a.m.!) and a plate of locally produced meat, cheese and olives with bread.

Then we piled back onto our bus (which had wound down the canyon road to the beer garden to retrieve us), and headed back to Split.


The main sight in Split is Diocletian's Palace, which was built by the Roman emperor around 300 A.D. Diocletian ruled the Eastern portion of the empire from here. (Apparently he was from this part of the world, so he was returning to his roots.)

We traipsed around the palace and got an overly long explanation of Diocletian's reign and temperament from our tour guide, who loved using the phrase "as such" to conclude many of her sentences. It's just as well Dave wasn't there because that little verbal tic would have driven him crazy. As you can see above, tourists can pose with costumed Roman soldiers in one of the palace's courtyards.

Just as our tour ended, the skies opened and we got a deluge of rain, along with thunder and lightning. I ducked into a nearby coffee shop with the curious name "@Noon" and got an Americano. A Canadian woman asked to sit at my table and we chatted about our travels -- she was here for an electronic music festival. She tipped me off to something called the "vestibule," a part of the palace I hadn't seen with an oculus, or round opening, in the ceiling -- so I went back and found that after the rain let up.

Then I wandered through town for a while, taking pictures, before heading back to the ship.

I told Dave about the day and he said, "It sounds like I didn't miss much." I must not be a very compelling travel narrator!


I was very amused to stumble across the Cafe Bar Monty Python. I wonder if anyone goes in there and tries to do the dead parrot routine?


Here's a little video showing the beer garden where our tour group ate, along with some musicians who entertained us there, a quiet view of the river and a video of the vestibule in Diocletian's Palace.

Today we're in Dubrovnik and as I write it's gray and rainy. I'm not sure what we're going to get to see, but as long as I have some rain protection I'm going to get out and about. Dave feels better today so he may join me as well. At least we won't need sunblock!

43 comments:

  1. The river looks very peaceful and the piano accordion brings memories of my dad who had one. I feel a little sorry for Dave who is missing so much while you roam about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked the accordion when buskers play it. Dave is feeling better, fortunately.

      Delete
  2. It looks to me like a fun day in general. Great views inside the palace. I probably could have lived without the accordion players, as such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The round building on top of the hill is a docking point for UFOs from a distant planet. Mostly they come for the accordion music. Sorry Dave didn't make it to Diocletian's Palace. Did you tell him you tried to chat up a young Canadian woman? I suspect not - you cunning devil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lovely day.
    I am the dichotomy in that I adore ziplining but would never ever get high up on a cliff, just hanging there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never ziplined. I might try it, but yeah, no rock climbing for me.

      Delete
  5. Did have to laugh at Dave's summation of your daytrip report. Hope he can make the trip with you to Dubrovnik--rainy or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave's verdict was funny! It sounded to me like perpetual motion all day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The striations on the rock face are tremendous.
    I hope Dave is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have some photos of the rock-climber that show him closer up, but I thought the stripes in the cliffs made for a better picture.

      Delete
  8. That sounds like an interesting day out to me. Quite the variety of nature and history and some good tunes. I hope Dave gets to get out with you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the break in nature was a nice, unexpected treat. When we signed up for the river cruise I pictured something much more urban.

      Delete
  9. Oh, the accordion! Such a much maligned instrument when all it does is bring joy to the world! (Heh-heh.)
    The river is so lovely. I would want to be in that clear water. And the palace! My word. That oculus. Honestly, I did not know that's what one was. Pretty dang amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love accordions. I always used to give a dollar to the buskers in New York who played them. (Usually older Eastern European guys.)

      Delete
  10. From a big boat to a little boat. Looks like a good day and a serene little float. I notice the sign at the beer garden was in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're definitely catering to tourists rather than locals! (Or maybe in addition to locals.)

      Delete
  11. Oooo... Roman soldiers. You should have had your photo taken with one. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, they were more attractive than most costumed characters, that's true. LOL

      Delete
  12. You are getting a little bit of everything on this vacation! Glad you are having fun and Dave is getting to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is pretty much how we do things at home, too. :)

      Delete
  13. I've seen a few of those Roman soldiers in various places around Italy. What a strange job that must be. Come to think of it, I saw one in London last year too. That beer garden is much bigger than I was envisioning. That guy climbing the rock face is a brave soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who "hires" and outfits them? Is there a company that specializes in providing costumed Roman soldiers for special events?

      Delete
  14. The river seems calm which makes a nice tour. The banks and wall of rock are picturesque. Ropes or no ropes, rock climbing always looks scary to me.
    I hope Dave is resting up for tomorrow and can enjoy the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't rock climb either, but I'm terrified by the thought of even being around someone who's free-climbing. I was just glad to see that guy was tethered.

      Delete
  15. Small adventures are so wonderful! A coffee shop and random conversation, imposing sights and photo taking opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like about travel -- even routine activities become something new and interesting.

      Delete
  16. Your river boat cruise reminded me of a canal boat tour we took in Piqua Ohio. Except there was definitely no wine or charcuterie at the end of that ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very rural small town - but also it was a historical excursion with someone dressed in period clothes. Still fun though!

      Delete
  17. Rain , What Is This Rail You Speak Of ??

    Righteous Photos ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish I was there, I am in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dave's going to be there in a few more weeks. Drum Corps finals in Indianapolis!

      Delete
  19. I think Dave missed a lot. It's funny how little tours come back years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes I'll flash back on some travel experience and it will take me a moment to remember where it happened, and who I was with!

      Delete
  20. Poor Dave wanted to see Italy. I am sorry to hear that he is sick and can't even enjoy it properly. However, you seem to be making the most of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's feeling better now. I think he'll have plenty of opportunity to enjoy Italy from here on out.

      Delete
  21. I am glad to read that Dave is better and hope the two of you were able to enjoy whatever was planned for you in Dubrovnik.
    That photo of the "Roman soldiers" in symmetry with the Roman architecture is great! I would have entered the Monty Python café doing a Silly Walk and shouting "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I bet they get customers doing that stuff all the time. :)

      Delete