Wednesday, July 8, 2026
Swallows and an Island Cruise
I'm writing this post without my glasses, because I'm already sitting in our hotel's breakfast room and I left my glasses upstairs. So if it's full of typos I apologize! I'll come back and clean it up when I can see again!
Yesterday was very busy. I took a long walk around Stresa after breakfast, both up and down the lake, to take in all the sights. That's one scene from my walk, above. Here are some more:
I was astonished to come across this old, wrecked villa, commanding a scenic position overlooking the lake. It's surrounded by multimillion-Euro properties. How does it happen that a place like this is just left to deteriorate? Is it caught up in a family dispute, a contested will, a legal limbo?
I watched swallows swooping through the sky above the hilly neighborhood, just as they do in town, shrieking loudly among the "cliffs" of buildings. They are omnipresent here, along with sparrows and pigeons.
I walked a long time -- a couple of hours, I think -- and then stopped for a coffee before heading back to the room to find Dave. The well-rested Dave was ready for an adventure by this time, so we set out right away to take a boat ride to the Borromean Islands, a group of three islands in the middle of the lake. They're mostly owned by the aristocratic Borromeo family, related to medieval Milanese cardinal St. Charles Borromeo, whose memorial fountain I came across in Vienna just a few months ago.
There are three main islands, Isola Madre, Isola de Pescatori and Isola Bella. We didn't go to Madre, and spent most of our time wandering the narrow streets and waterfront of Pescatori, which is apparently the only permanently inhabited island of the three (according to Wikipedia, which is never wrong).
Here's a video showing the swallows flying overhead on my morning walk, followed by our boat excursion on the lake:
You even get some rare footage of me and Dave!
We watched people swimming in the lake off this sunny promontory on Pescatori. I was frankly jealous, because it was hot!
The streets are so narrow a person could almost reach out from one window to touch the building across the way, Lots of interesting angles and shadows!
Isola Bella is largely occupied by a palace and formal terraced garden, which we can actually see from our hotel balcony (see yesterday's top photo). We didn't visit them because by the time we figured out how to enter the garden we were hot and tired, so we just caught the boat back. I'm sure they're spectacular but you can't see everything, right? Instead we wandered the steep, narrow streets and saw sights like someone's collection of vintage outboard motors (above).
When we got back to Stresa Dave retreated to the air conditioning and, inspired by the swimmers on Isola de Pescatori, I put on my bathing suit and went for a dip in the lake. There's a public beach right across from our hotel. I waded in and found the bottom unpleasantly rocky -- the pebbles were smooth but still painful to walk on. I almost gave up, but I saw that everyone else was barefoot so I decided to try a different spot along the beach, and sure enough it was much sandier. I had a good swim, which felt amazing. (And then I took a second brief dip in our hotel pool.)
We had pasta last night in the main square, listening once again to the shrieking swallows. Off today to Lake Garda!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I watched the videos you included in this post. They were wonderful! The neighborhood reminds me of my hometown, where the city is divided by rivers. It was absolutely lovely to see such peaceful places, and the views of the island are stunning and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting that views of these Italian landscapes reminded you of Indonesia! I grew up on water, too, so I also feel at home there.
Delete"How does it hapen that a place like this is just left to deteriorate? Is it caught up in a family dispute, a contested will, a legal limbio?" Steve, the answer is much more simple. That villa is haunted. You can even see a ghost staring at you from one of the middle windows.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Love some of your cute errors - caused (you say!) by not having your glasses with you. "Swummers" is a peach of a mistake. "Limbio" is not far behind.
Fixed now! I really thought I might have escaped any typos, but no.
DeleteThe cat reminds me of London's Blue Cock.
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing half built but abandoned houses in the wonderful Montenegro, and I was told they were being built by Russians and for economic reasons, they couldn't afford to finish them.
A nice swim to cool off can be very therapeutic.
Yeah, it's the same color blue! (I thought it was a dog?!)
DeleteThis looks and sounds like heaven.
ReplyDeleteIt feels that way!
DeleteThis sounds like a great place to walk and swim. I wonder if the villa is in the midst of an insurance issue, looks like there was a fire. It might be one of those long running Italian legal fights, a la Donna Leon.
ReplyDeleteCould have been a fire. It's hard to tell. Something definitely caused major destruction -- more than you'd expect if it had simply been left empty.
DeleteI was in Italy in 2024, and your photos are bringing back so many good memories! I loved the video and it was great seeing you and Dave!
ReplyDeleteItaly is a great country for traveling! Glad you liked the video.
DeleteHello Dave and Steve!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place. And those houses on the island? Why do rich people get all the good stuff?
Well, not all of it. You can swim in the same river.
Ha! Yeah, and breathe the same air!
DeleteI have nearly 50 meters between me and my closest two neighbors so it is always a shock going to a country where the distance is less than a single meter in many cases. Even 50 meters took an adjustment when I moved off the farm where I can't even see a neighbor a we can see a mile or more in any direction!
ReplyDeleteWe live pretty close to Mrs. Kravitz, and our house is connected to the house on the other side, so I'm used to close neighbors. But these houses are REALLY close!
DeleteWish we were there.
ReplyDeleteYour next trip?
DeleteTwo things: the giant blue cat is a must-have, and seeing the villa is such a state breaks my heart.
ReplyDeleteThe blue animal (cat? dog?) is pretty big, so you'd have to have a special place for it!
DeleteYes
ReplyDeleteIndeed!
DeleteThis sounds idyllic. And boy, is it ever gorgeous. Love the railing/shadows photo and the blue cat. And the island is fascinating too. So glad you were able to get a swim, too. This makes me want to go!
ReplyDeleteCat! Thank you! That's what I thought, too. Swimming felt good because I got to use my bathing suit. I hate it when I bring my bathing suit on a trip and don't use it. LOL
DeleteGorgeousness! As usual, I love seeing your trips through your camera lens.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're enjoying it!
DeleteLooks beautiful! I'm always curious about how those large buildings were built. I wonder how difficult it was to get all of the material and workers out there.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful spot for a vacation!
And the hills are quite steep, so preparing the site and bringing in all the stuff would have been a challenge, I'm sure.
DeleteThe only way I travel ... via your blog! I get to explore with you [and Dave] and save money! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteGlad you're enjoying it, Marcia!
DeleteWhat a beautiful place. That must be a really big lake to have three islands in the middle. Is it a natural or man made lake?
ReplyDeleteIt's a big lake, stretching all the way up to Switzerland. It's 82 square miles of water, about 40 miles long.
DeleteThat video brought back lots of memories. Glad you made it to the islands. Enjoy Lake Garda. That's another beautiful place to visit. I have some great photos of a castle there.
ReplyDeleteWe aren't near that castle but I know the one you mean! I'm not sure we're going to get over there.
DeleteExploring the islands and the waters sounds on a hot day is perfect. The villas in sand/pink colors and beautiful blue skies are all so beautifully tropical.
ReplyDeleteYour swim sounds very refreshing.
I hope you and Dave enjoy some great Italian cooking.
Yeah, it's a big change from London, with lots of palm trees and Mediterranean colors.
DeleteHow can you get that blue cat back to London? :) You're having so many beautiful adventures. You are fortunate to have A/C; it's pretty rare, isn't it? It sounds like you're enjoying the sights and foods of Italy!
ReplyDeleteLOL -- there would definitely be an extra baggage charge! I think a/c is more common in Italy than in Great Britain, given the hot summer temperatures here.
DeleteI feel like I'm visiting vicariously and loving it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad!
DeleteAh, Lake Garda. We camped there for a month one summer when I lived in Germany in the early 1960s. I got heat stroke helping to put up our huge (and very heavy) orange and blue French canvas tent that we attached by an awning to our VW camper. Lots of other wonderful memories from that visit. All nationalities hung out together in the evenings at the campground--played different games, tried talking despite the various languages represented. All friendly. Funnily enough, when I came back to London from Venice this past March, my plane flew right by it. Beautiful, clear sunny day. Took lots of photos. It's huge. Have a wonderful time there.
ReplyDeleteHeat stroke?! Yikes! I can believe it, though -- it's HOT out there.
DeleteLove the rare footage of you and Dave. 😂
ReplyDeleteAnd of course Dave makes a face at the camera. He hates having his picture taken.
DeleteYou're finding interesting things wherever you go!!
ReplyDeleteThat building is probably part of a disputed inheritance...when sorting it out would cost far more in legal fees than it us worth
But it must be worth a fortune, even for just the land! There must be a story behind it, for sure.
DeleteI love Italy. The people are so lovely. We did a Med cruise years ago, we were too early, it was windy and not warm enough for the water toys on board. It was very efficient, we unpacked once, and then did the perimeter of Italy. Have an excellent time there.
ReplyDeleteThat's pretty much what we're doing, once we get on the ship. I'm looking forward to unpacking and then being done with the suitcase for a while.
DeleteYou see some strange things like the outboard motor collection. There is so much to see in that area.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the motors were unexpected! There were others on the opposite wall.
DeleteIt all sounds pretty amazing.
ReplyDeleteIt is so far!
DeleteQué bellÃsima! How hot is hot Steve? On, or in, the lake seems to be the best place to be!
ReplyDeleteToday's high in Lake Garda is 87º F, and I think the temperature in Stresa was similar -- and the sun is intense. A swim is definitely welcome!
Delete