Saturday, July 18, 2026

The Ship


Because yesterday was another day at sea, I don't have any pictures of Italy to share -- except a hazy look at Elba Island off our distant starboard bow. (Trust me, the photo isn't great.) So I thought I'd show you some views of the ship itself, the Celebrity Constellation.

Above is the pool deck, which is undoubtedly one of the most popular places on the ship. I don't spend any time out there myself, because I'm not a lie-in-the-sun type and I'm not about to climb into that crowded pool, but as you can see there are actually a couple of pools here as well as whirlpools and a deck where there was an exercise class happening at the moment I visited. There are also an indoor pool and whirlpools behind this deck, toward the ship's bow. We are not lacking for swimming and sunning opportunities, that's for sure.


Overlooking it all is a mysterious sculpture of a gorilla clutching a gigantic fish. Don't ask me.


There are more outdoor decks along the side of the ship and at the rear. The red line is supposed to be a jogging track, but I've never seen anyone jog it -- when I'm out there it's usually way too crowded. Maybe the runners use it in the early morning.


Here's one of my favorite spots -- the martini bar. (I've had a martini every night of this trip, and it's probably a good thing we're wrapping it up in a couple of days before I kill my liver completely.) We also use a bar on the top level at the front of the ship called Reflections, which has an amazing view and tends to be pretty quiet, at least when we're there.


The martini bar overlooks the ship's central grand staircase, with a three-level atrium from decks 3 to 5. There's a coffee bar on the upstairs deck that we haven't used at all.


There's a casino -- typically windowless -- where I also have spent no time except to walk through. I'm not about to pour money into those machines.


This is one of the big restaurants, at the stern of the ship, called the San Marco. Dave and I usually frequent an adjacent restaurant called Blu, which is smaller and more intimate.


And here's the buffet room, known as the Ocean View Cafe, where I sit every day to blog. (I took this picture just before writing this post. You can see my computer sitting on the table at right, with the blue screen.) It's a huge space that extends over the entire deck midship, behind the pool deck, and it's definitely the most popular dining space. As you can see, there are big windows overlooking the water, and there are multiple food buffets for pretty much any food item you could ever want.


Here's another view, with the food areas to the right.

I know these pictures make us look like a ghost ship, with the exception of the top images, but I tried hard to take them at times when people wouldn't be using the spaces, so I could respect everyone's privacy. And I couldn't photograph certain areas -- the spa and fitness rooms, for example. I don't want to be creepy!

There's also a theater, an outdoor deck with a big movie screen, some specialty restaurants, art galleries and a bunch of fancy shops. It really is mind-blowing to think that not only all the passengers but all the people who work in these spaces are bobbing around on the sea in this single vessel. A floating city, indeed.

Today Dave and I will be taking a walking tour of Genoa. (Or "Genova," as it's described in our materials. I guess that's the Italian spelling.) It's looking cloudy out there as the sun comes up, so we'll see how it goes!

55 comments:

  1. Genova is indeed the Italian spelling. I will forever associate this city with the bluest eyes I've ever seen on a man. See my post
    https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2010/03/bluest-eyes-of-genua.html
    if you're interested - I have used the German spelling (Genua) there, stupidly.

    The ship must be huge! I bet more people work there than O.K.'s village has residents.
    That crowded pool would definitely not be for me, nor the casino, but I'd gladly join you at the Martini bar anytime (although not for a Martini, but I'm sure they have all sorts of nice cocktails to enjoy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were entranced by young Mr Blue Eyes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link to your post! As I said in the comments, if I'd known I would have looked for him, though he's probably 65 now and retired. :)

      Yes, you can get plenty of things besides martinis in the martini bar!

      Delete
  2. Large passenger ships seem to all be very similar and your ship looks like it has excellent facilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how similar this ship is to our previous cruise, ten years ago on Holland-America. The layout of the vessel is pretty much the same, from what I remember.

      Delete
  3. "I don't want to be creepy!" Uh? If you can't be yourself aboard a cruise ship where can you reveal your true character? I see what the seagulls think of the gorilla with the fish sculpture and I agree with them. I hope you enjoy Genoa... birthplace of Christopher Columbus. It will be like coming home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the seagulls definitely made their opinion known!

      Delete
  4. The image of the pool deck gives me an anxiety attack. It sure would be nice onboard without all those people.The martini bar would be a favorite of mine. Sitting and sipping a martini while staring out to sea. The gorilla with fish is one of a series A Couple of Differences Between Thinking and Feeling by by Angus Fairhurst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, you can find another ape and fish next to the Gherkin in London!

      Delete
    2. "without all those people" might explain the prolific numbers of private luxury yachts.

      Delete
    3. Good research on the sculpture! Bravo! I'll have to look for its cousin in the shadow of the Gherkin.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for always inspiring me to learn new things.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't want to get in that pool either....too many people! Vacations are to have fun, so keep drinking those martinis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but there can be too much of a good thing. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for taking us along, nice looking ship. I enjoy the hot tubs on the top deck early in the morning before the crowds show up, a great way to watch the early morning light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I look at one of those hot tubs there's someone in them, and I'm up early!

      Delete
  7. I don't think your liver will have suffered too much. A lifetime's indulgence might be a different matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not THAT abstemious at home. But I definitely don't drink this much!

      Delete
  8. I would search out the quiet spots at the quiet times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much what I do. Dave and I are not big on all the shipboard activities.

      Delete
  9. Cloudy might be nice for a walking tour. Cooler, at least, if not too thick. I would be looking for the quiet places. Not that pool (I wonder if there's a lap pool -- I'd be there a lot!) The restaurants look elegant. Do you have to dress for things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen a lap pool. There's something called a thalassotherapy pool, or something like that. It just looks like a swimming pool to me.

      Delete
  10. This is like an ad for the cruise line, so fun. But so deserted, a ghoooost ship! I get why you did that, uncreepy. A bar dedicated to martinis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dedicated to martinis, but not exclusively! You could get pretty much anything there. Dave drinks juice mocktails!

      Delete
  11. Nice to see parts of the ship. I'm curious about cruises but I'm not sure I actually want to go on one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth doing once, just for the experience. It's too conspicuously consumptive for me to be completely comfortable with it, but it IS comfortable in a physical sense.

      Delete
  12. Whirlpools must be a local term for what we refer to as hot tubs?

    I think if I was forced to ride on one of those ships, I would quickly change my schedule around to those least populated times. Maybe enjoy the ship from 1 am to 6 am or so before going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I guess hot tubs IS a better term! I don't know why I called them whirlpools, but there are things called whirlpool baths that look like that, I think?

      Anyway, it's possible to avoid the mobs, depending on your schedule and where on the ship you choose to hang out!

      Delete
  13. I would not want to be around that many people for that long. I can see why you seek out the quiet places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that astonishes me is the ship rarely seems crowded. Only at peak meal times on sea days, maybe. (And if I used the pool deck, which I don't.)

      Delete
  14. The view of the red strip for running reminds me of the one and only cruise I went on where the walking/jogging path was near the top (deck 12). I only walked in the early morning hours and usually had the place to myself. The funny part was when the ship was steaming along the open sea at a clip I was forced to struggle at a 45 degree angle because of the headwinds in one direction, but as I moved around the bow for the return walk I was pushed along quite wickedly by the tailwind behind me. A couple of mornings a very elderly gentleman sat in a sheltered location up there where he could see me coming and going. He thought it was hilarious. Glad I was so entertaining. :)

    Enjoy Genoa! Perhaps a bit of cloud cover may keep temps down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On our previous ship (ten years ago) the walking/running area was much lower, somewhere around Deck 4. Perhaps the wind is less of a problem lower down? I did walk it but I can't remember.

      Delete
  15. Able was I ere I saw Elba.

    I don't think a martini (or two) a day for the duration is going to damage your liver. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent palindrome! Yeah, I'm sure the martinis won't do me any lasting damage. I'm just being dramatic. :)

      Delete
  16. Sounds like the familiar set up for a cruise ship. The one I was on also had a cigar bar that two of guys in my travel group enjoyed. I hope you had good weather for your tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a cigar bar, but now that you mention it, there was one on our previous cruise ship ten years ago.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for the tour, thing is enormous. The one cruise we did stopped in Genoa, we enjoyed the city, I think you will too. Cheers guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we liked it a lot! I'm glad we elected to go there rather than stay in Portofino.

      Delete
  18. At that time Genoa was not over run with tourists, it was pleasant. We docked at the same terminal that the Andrea Doria used on her final voyage. There was a great exhibit of photos of people who had passed through there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maritime history! The good thing about a city the size of Genoa is that crowds of tourists are more easily absorbed into the general life of the city. In a smaller place like Dubrovnik they take over.

      Delete
  19. My ex-husband and I went on a cruise once, that was enough for me. The ship was lovely but everywhere reminded me of overconsumption with an extra helping of entitled people. Not my jam:)
    Your photos did the ship justice, very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not everyone's thing, and I agree with you about the overconsumption. It troubles me to think of all the waste -- the food, the plastic bottles, the fuel, etc etc.

      Delete
  20. The cruise ships are like a huge floating palace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The pool deck certainly looks very popular.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the most popular place on the whole ship, which is a mystery to me. Haven't any of these people heard about skin damage from sun?!

      Delete
  22. Thanks for clarifying! I was thinking that the ship was mostly deserted and I liked that idea. NO coffee bar visits? I'm appalled. :) Excuse my ignorance but does the martini bar have lots of different types of martinis. Is there such a thing? I enjoyed getting a peek inside your ship; there's so much to offer and do. I would probably gain 30 pounds on a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The martini bar offers multiple types of martinis and other cocktails, but I'm a traditionalist so I stick to gin and vermouth! I think everyone gains a few pounds on these boats. How could we not?!

      Delete
  23. The ship has something for everyone. It is a floating community.
    The pool does look too busy for me as well.
    The martini bar looks great.
    Finding the less popular spots with fewer people would be my choice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's possible to find quiet nooks and crannies to escape the mobs!

      Delete
  24. It is all very impressive! Probably not something I would ever do (cruise) but the Buffet Bar does look tempting. I think you should go up to the coffee level and have at least one coffee before you disembark and head home. Casinos are not for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, I do have coffee every day, multiple times in fact. But I always just go to the buffet room, and the coffee there isn't very good. I just forget about the coffee bar!

      Delete
  25. I have always wanted to take a transatlantic cruise. I just think it would be awesome to see nothing but water for days at a time. I don't know why I am so entranced with the idea. If I could find a cruise without people, I think it would be perfect.

    It is not that I mind people...I just mind lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think you probably could find a small cruise or ship that would take transatlantic passengers. The good thing about this ship is, you're not around all those people unless you choose to be. There are lots of places to "hide."

      Delete