Friday, August 7, 2026
Bumbling Along and Watching Corrie
I've been bumbling along with no camera since our Italy trip, and I've missed having one. The phone does a good job, don't get me wrong -- the photo above was taken with my phone yesterday morning and I'm pretty happy with it. (I wonder what "Graphic House" is? Freelance graphic design, maybe?)
I recently submitted some photos to the Royal Photographic Society to be considered for a London street photography exhibit being mounted in Mayfair next month. I chose these six and of those, two are phone shots. Last night I participated in a Zoom call to go over everyone's submissions and narrow them down to three apiece -- one to be printed and two to be shown digitally. Of my photos, the picture that was everyone's favorite I took on my phone. So there you have it -- phones can take good quality photos.
Still, I intend to get a new camera and I've been gathering some ideas, but with Dave gone and me alone with Bailey I haven't had a chance to put them into action. Dave will be back Monday morning and hopefully after that I can go camera shopping. I still haven't heard from our insurance whether my old camera will be covered but here's hoping.
We have a new challenge with Bailey -- one that I've anticipated and I'm not sure how to deal with it. She's very sensitive to noises -- hearing people talking in the street or slamming a door will send her into a fit of barking. She's not a terrible barker overall, but she barks more than Olga did.
Anyway, since we brought her back from the shelter the new upstairs neighbors haven't been home. Until yesterday, that is. Now they've returned and they're clunking around up there, and Bailey finds this intolerable. Every time she hears them on the stairs or walking across the floor (our ceiling) she barks. And she barks when they're out on their terrace. Now, obviously, we can't have this going on forever. I'm trying to discourage it and there are signs she's becoming less hypersensitive, but I'm still a bit embarrassed about it.
To make matters worse, apparently they have a dog. I haven't seen or met this dog yet, but I know Bailey is going to go nuts when she sees it up on their terrace -- at least until she gets used to it. Dear God.
Today we're going to have a new adventure and go into the city. I'm meeting a friend for lunch and I'm going to take Bailey with me. Fingers crossed that will go well!
Back in our garden, the Kniphofia are looking good (above). And I'm starting to see the first few Japanese anemones, which are always a sign that it's about time for the new school year to start -- for Dave, anyway. This year I get to luxuriate in my new retirement!
When my dad retired, he began watching "The Guiding Light," which as many of you will know was a popular and long-running American soap opera. He really enjoyed it and became quite addicted. We all laughed at him, but now I've decided to go down the same road. I've started watching "Coronation Street," a well-known British soap opera that just celebrated its 65th birthday last year. As Wikipedia says, it has "become a significant part of British culture" and I figure I should at least become familiar with it. It's often the source of pub quiz material, like "What's the name of the neighborhood pub on 'Coronation Street'?" (Answer: The Rovers Return Inn, often just called The Rovers.)
Anyway, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Poor Debbie has early stage vascular dementia, and Cassie -- who everyone has turned against, believing she spiked Tracy's drink -- was spirited away in a car by the not-so-nice Ross! What's going to happen next?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Perhaps the new neighbours will learn to tip toe across your ceiling, thus keeping Bailey quiet!
ReplyDeleteI'd hate for them to feel like they need to be ultra-cautious to avoid upsetting my dog! They need to just live their lives and she needs to adapt.
DeleteAt least your not watching Eastenders!
ReplyDeleteHa! I thought I'd go with the most established soap, but I know "Eastenders" is a close second.
Delete"Graphic House" is probably where residents do not pussyfoot around the truth. They call a spade a spade and describe sexual encounters in graphic detail. I watched "EastEnders" avidly for thirty years. Many brilliant scripts in a cleverly constructed on-going drama with some very talented actors and actresses. It was only when I was teaching in Thailand that I managed to break my addiction and now I never watch the show for fear of being sucked back in.
ReplyDeleteBut what would be wrong with being sucked back in? I think it's OK to have a TV habit, as long as it doesn't get out of hand! And with today's technology you could watch whenever it was convenient.
DeleteIt's not terribly hard to train a dog not to bark. I would keep some of their favorite treats around and when they barked, issue the word "quiet" and then hold the treat out in front of their nose. They would sniff at it and I would say quite a few more times and then a "good dog" and give them the treat. It never took to long and they would associate not barking when there was a disturbance with a treat.
ReplyDeleteI had a roommate that was a "Bold and Beautiful" fan and I was roped into it for a couple years. I definitely could see how soap operas can become addicting, especially now that we have such things as DVRs so we don't have to be home between 12:30 and 1:00 everyday to watch the next episode.
Yeah, the DVR and streaming really makes a huge difference. Your method of training is similar to what I've been working on with Bailey -- I just say NO! when she barks and give her a reward if she stops.
DeleteI think Bailey will settle down once he gets used to the new noises; he just wants the neighbors to know he's there.
ReplyDeleteOur little Ozzo learned not to bark at every sound but never stopped barking if the doorbell on "Frasier" rang!
I think so too -- she just needs to get used to the sounds. I had a friend whose pugs would go nuts when doorbells rang on television.
DeleteCoronation Street! What treat for you. I watched it regularly with my then four year old toddler, she had many questions after each episode and found out stuff about life and women and pubs and family we could never provide ourselves.
ReplyDeleteBailey will be a great watch dog for the entire house.
Ha! I'm sure that was an education for a four-year-old! 😆😆
DeleteYes, fingers crossed it will all go well where Bailey is concerned. She'd "love" my upstairs neighbours... they are forever banging doors, stomping up and down the stairs and when the kids (9 and 4 years old) are home, you can hear them laughing or singing or fighting, like kids do.
ReplyDeleteThe photo that was ultimately chosen out of the six you handed in would have also been my favourite.
Fortunately there's only one kid in the family above us, so no fighting!
DeleteMy mother watched "Guiding Light" for years. I have heard of Coronation Street and its longevity. There must be something to it if it has been on for over half a century. Hopefully Bailey will settle down with the noises and the dog upstairs.
ReplyDeleteSo far it's very much like every other soap I've ever watched, but I like it.
DeleteI still have such a hard time taking photos with strangers in them. I love your photos but I feel so intrusive. I know the trees won't get mad at me for taking photos, I hope:)
ReplyDeleteHopefully Bailey stops her barking. Our dogs bark, not a lot, but enough to irritate me, especially when they're in the house. Apparently yelling Shut Up is not the most effective way of training them because they haven't stopped.
Well, so-called "street photography" is easier in a big city with lots of pedestrians. The expectations for privacy are not the same. It would be harder to take street photos in a suburban setting or in a place with more of a car culture. I rarely take pictures of strangers when I'm home in Florida, for example, because there it feels different.
Delete(Plus they might shoot me.)
DeleteWhen I met Glen he had a dog named Honey Bun. I kid you not. And that dog was a barker. One of the first things Lily learned to say was, "Hush up, Honey Bun."
ReplyDeleteWe finally had to give her to some friends who lived in the country. I don't think she ever did stop barking. I am sure you are more of a persistent and knowledgable trainer than any of us were.
Yes. "Red Suit" is my favorite too.
My soap opera addiction of many years was "All My Children."
We had a dog named Honeybun when I was a kid! Not a barker, though, at least not that I remember. I watched "All My Children" when I was in high school.
DeleteI feel like watching a soap opera where the actors have British accents elevates it to a level above boring old US soap operas. Ha!
ReplyDeleteBarking dogs used to drive me nuts. However, now that I have moderate hearing loss, I don't notice them as much. Ha! But good luck with Bailey. I'll bet she's trainable.
It's funny how Americans equate an English accent with culture! I guess it comes from years of watching highbrow stuff like "Masterpiece Theatre."
DeleteThree cheers on the photo exhibit. I can see why you chose those to submit and I love the yellow one too. That is worrisome about Bailey ad the barking. It's very wearing when someone else's dog is barking! (As well as your own.) Good luck with that and the neighbor dog -- that might be tricky. Our Britbox has Coronation Street and I've always pondered watching it but hesitated to get into something with no end! I do remember the soap phase in college. I vaguely remember watching "Guiding Light" but we were "Love of Life" fans!
ReplyDelete"Love of Life" -- WOW! I haven't thought of that show in ages. There used to be so many soaps on at midday and now many of them are gone.
DeleteI trained my barker quickly after all else failed. Some people have a sealed can of pebbles to throw down NOT AT, near the dog. I never could find the can in time but when Buff started up as I came home I'd say quiet and throw down my keys. It's not cruel, just a one time sharp noise that gets their attention. Worth a try anyway. She's an obliging dog, so she may respond fast. Or may check if the can or keys are near and, if not, bark her head off!
ReplyDeleteThat's an interesting idea. I've tried clapping my hands together and that seems to work too -- as you said, a sharp noise that draws their attention.
DeleteActually Ed gave you a great suggestion on how to train Bailey not to bark! We had a Pug and he was easy to train by simply telling him: No barks! Of course, he was smarter then the average dog!
ReplyDeleteObedience training might be extremely helpful, also!
So far I'm just saying "NO!" but maybe I should try a more specific command!
DeleteAll very nice shots. It would be hard to pick a favorite. Minnie is a barker. Marc or I can make a sound of exclamation from reading something and she will take that as a cue that as a cue that she needs to join in or if she sees a cat or dog outside or on the street. What works most the time is to tell her 'that's enough' (sometimes several times) and then when she stops praise her for the good dog she is, 'it's ok' and 'good job'. Sometimes though it's a frustrated 'Minnie! Hush!'.
ReplyDeleteWe watch General Hospital. It was our lunch routine. We started having our lunch hour at two because that's when it came on and we were going to stop working for lunch anyway. We recently canceled the cable for network TV including the station it comes on so now we have to wait until evening and watch it on Hulu. Jacinda just spiked Willow's tea (she's a murdering sociopath so she deserves it).
Oh, and maybe she just needs to get used to the normal sounds of her new home.
DeleteIt's so weird what triggers dogs to bark, isn't it?! Bailey doesn't seem to bark at anything I do. It's just unknown sounds (and other dogs or animals) that set her off. I do think she's improving as she gets used to the sounds.
DeleteI LOVE all those photos you submitted. The "Red Suit" one is wonderful and I also really like the guy in the leopard coat.
ReplyDeleteI hope the outing into the city went well. Hopefully, Bailey just needs to get used to the upstairs noise.
Thanks re. the photos! Yeah, I think Bailey just needs more time to continue adapting to her new environment. She's only lived here for a couple of weeks!
DeleteI have watched Coronation Street for over 30 years and never miss it. We are about 2 weeks behind you over here in Canada.
ReplyDeleteOh, sorry! I should have said "SPOILER ALERT!" I just assumed we were all on the same timetable.
DeleteI always love your photos and can never tell the difference between phone or camera until you mention it.
ReplyDeleteI remember when I was in college that we would take turns cutting class to watch Days of our Lives and would share with the others what had happened. Gosh, we were silly! ;)
I think that's what made me start watching "All My Children" back in high school -- so many of my friends were talking about it. (That and "General Hospital.")
DeleteCoronation Street is just 8 months younger than me. 🙂 Back in the day it was a representation of the streets of Salford in Manchester and I really enjoyed it. Then my ex-husband turned into a 'soap addict' and watched them all back to back every night ... so I haven't watched a single episode since I left him in 2002. Oh, it was bliss. 😄
ReplyDeleteHa! Well, you clearly just got overloaded. How could anyone watch more than one soap? I already have trouble keeping track of all the characters and their relationships just in a single show!
DeleteBailey wants to please you and she listens to you. Using treats and the command "quiet" her barking can be managed. The alternative would be to hire a trainer and see what they recommend.
ReplyDeleteNice photos. I also like your favorite photo and the one you submitted.
Many years ago, I watched "Another World" and never missed an episode. I wonder if it is still playing today?
Alas, "Another World" ended in 1999, or so Wikipedia tells me. :(
DeleteI liked all your submissions. Which were your second and third?
ReplyDeleteMy favorite soaps were All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital.
I look forward to hearing how the lunch went with Bailey in tow.
The second and third were the man in the leopard coat and the girls doing the dance routine in Trafalgar Square.
DeleteI used to watch soaps also and they are addictive. But oh, the melodrama!! I hope that Bailey adapts to the neighbors and their dog (eek). I have some pit bulls behind me and when I'm mowing the lawn by the fence, they will suddenly bark loudly and lunge at me. It gives me a huge fright every time!
ReplyDeleteYeah, that sound can be scary when you're not expecting it!
DeleteI used to come home for lunch in high school and watched the Guiding Light with my gramma. And when I was a young housewife I was able to watch all five weekly episodes of Coronation Street on a Canadian channel on the weekends. We live near the Great Lakes and "I can see Canada from here" (appros a dippy Alaskan).
ReplyDeleteI laughed at your Palinesque phrasing! That must have been fun, watching "The Guiding Light" with your grandmother. Making memories!
DeleteI find the idea of you watching Coronation Street charming. I would not find the idea of you watching The Guiding Light the same. Odd. There’s a home in Hackney called Graphic House. It’s owned by graphic designers and I can’t find any exterior photos. It could possibly be this place (which to me is an unappealing hodgepodge from the front). There’s also an industrial design business but this place would NOT do them justice as a home base. I’m excited about your photo submissions. You have such a great eye and so much talent.
ReplyDeleteI know, "Coronation Street" somehow seems more cultured, or maybe just more culturally significant. That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. This "Graphic House" is in West Hampstead on Sumatra Road.
DeleteLiving in London you should perhaps be watching Eastenders - lots of shouting and break-ups and drama, though I haven't watched it for decades.
ReplyDeleteA method some of my family have found useful to deter their dogs (or cats) from undesirable behaviour is a spray bottle of water. It might not be advisable during her settling-in period, of course, but it isn't cruel, it doesn't hurt, and it works.
"Eastenders" sounds a little intense for me! I've heard of people using spray bottles for cats. But knowing how much Bailey likes water, I'm afraid she might perceive it as a reward!
DeleteI adore my Nikon, but I have taken some great photos with my phone.
ReplyDeleteWell, it really does come down to the eye of the photographer. The camera (or phone) is just a tool.
DeleteRed Suit was my top pick too, followed by Red and Black.
ReplyDeleteOne of our border collies was a superlative alert barker (much to our dismay). When we had to stay in a motel with him for several days, every time someone walked past our room I'd say "What's That?", and hand Obi a VERY yummy treat. It didn't matter if he was barking or not. He quickly learned that an outside sound predicted a treat, and instead of barking would whip around to me "Did you hear that? Where's the treat?" Within 5 or 10 treats, he' get bored and relax, ignoring the sounds. We played this game every night, and it made the motel stay very easy. (I was frankly amazed that this worked - but it did).
Chris from Boise
Red and black surprisingly did not make the top three! I think maybe it's just too static. Not much action.
DeleteThat's a great training method! I think the key is that Obi eventually got bored and relaxed. That's what I'm hoping for with Bailey -- that she eventually relaxes and adapts to the sounds.
Years back, I had a slight addiction to The Secret Storm.
ReplyDeleteI will say it, and I know you will be horrified. Shock collar. A couple episodes of 'buzz, mild shock' stops the behavior. Tucker no longer needs the shock. He attends immediately at the buzz sound.
I don't think we're at that point yet, though if I were desperate I'd consider it. She already seems less barky as she hears noises more and more.
DeleteSeveral good tips here for Bailey. I sincerely hope one will work and I know you will do anything you can, but, and I say this with all good intentions, when all is said and done, with her dog aggression and noise sensitivity, she might be better suited to living somewhere in the countryside? Not just for her but just as much for you. It can't be relaxing to always be nervous/anxious about how your dog will behave or react.
ReplyDeleteNo shame in concluding it doesn't work out. She's a good dog, but maybe not for you?
Oh, I don't think she's THAT bad, and I'm sorry if I've given that impression. She's only been here a short time so she's still getting used to the new surroundings and sounds, but she seems very comfortable with city life overall (as you'll see in my subsequent post).
DeleteThe only part of Coronation Street I've watched, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mdXuBXAzw4
ReplyDeleteHOLY COW! That was a heck of an episode!
DeleteThe Micro Manager is fan of Coronation street.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize it was watched in Canada as well, though I should have expected that!
DeleteCoronation Street is STILL going?? I have seen only a very few episodes, and that was when my mum was visiting way back in 1975 and insisted on seeing that and "Days of our Lives" every day so she didn't get behind.
ReplyDeleteI believe it's the longest-running scripted TV show on the planet!
DeleteFor Bailey I'd recommend a "Good Girl" patting followed by "That's enough now" and encouraging her to stop barking by turning her to something else as you say the "that's enough now" perhaps a favourite toy.
ReplyDeleteI think saying "Good Girl" would reward her for the barking, which we don't want to do. I am saying "NO!" and then trying to divert her.
Delete