Friday, August 28, 2026
Phantom Babies
Well, we did get rain yesterday, as you can see here on our banana tree. It wasn't much -- just enough to wet our whistle (4.4 millimeters, according to our local weather station). I heard one rumble of thunder in the afternoon but that's the only sign of the predicted "moderate to severe thunderstorms" that I encountered.
It was a day of surprises, and not just the rain.
First of all, Bailey's spaying was postponed. I took her in, and the veterinary nurse looked her over in the lobby and said, "Yeah, this isn't happening today." It turns out Bailey is having a "false pregnancy," a hormonal condition, and is even lactating as a result. (As I told the nurse, "No wonder she loves having her belly rubbed!") We have to wait for this false pregnancy to subside -- otherwise, if she's spayed now, her body might not know how to return to normality and her lactation could become more or less permanent. We're trying again on Sept. 10.
I asked the nurse, "There's no chance she could really be pregnant, is there?" We've had her for four and a half weeks, and the shelter had her for about two months before that. During at least part of that time she was supposedly in heat. (I assume she couldn't have become pregnant at the shelter, but you never know. ) A dog's gestation period is about nine weeks, and by four to six weeks the abdomen would be swelling -- so the nurse said she didn't think pregnancy was likely, because Bailey has "a nice waist."
But we'll keep an eye on her. That's all we need -- a litter of puppies.
Bailey got a new toy from the vet's office, which she promptly mangled.
A nicer surprise -- the insurance claim for my camera came through. They actually approved a payout of slightly more than I asked for! So that money should be in our account in five to seven days. I'm happy to put that whole episode to bed.
I also got a call from an unknown number, which always makes me wary. I answered it and got a rather garbled person checking up on my experiences with "transfers." I've been getting a lot of e-mails from car services that Dave and I used to provide airport transfers on our travels -- so I said they'd been fine but I hadn't needed them lately because I hadn't traveled much. The woman seemed a bit confused by that but said she'd e-mail me some information to get me better pricing. When I got the e-mail I realized she was talking about money transfers, which I hadn't done since I paid my last round of British taxes. She must have wondered why the heck I was talking about traveling in our phone call!
Otherwise I spent the day reading, cleaning, and archiving July's photos.
When I took Bailey for her afternoon walk, we passed the house with all the Chinese lanterns growing in the front garden. They look great, year after year. Dave and I have tried several times to grow them and we don't have much luck beyond a single season, so I would love to know this person's secret.
Finally, I compiled our recent wildlife cam footage into a video. Nothing earth-shattering here -- several itchy foxes (or maybe just one?), and fleeting glimpses of foxes and a brave neighborhood cat as they trot past the camera. At 1:22 we briefly see a fox doing that weird open-mouthed panting that I've seen in past videos; not sure what's going on there. At 1:27 you get a daytime shot of Bailey (those nipples!), followed by a nighttime shot in which she barks and Dave calls her inside. The cat is at 2:09 and again at 2:24, followed by more Bailey and more foxes.
As you can see, I moved the camera around a bit toward the end, trying to get a good vantage point to watch for Ratthew -- who did not appear at all, thank goodness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Poor Bailey with her phantom pregnancy, I didn't know dogs could get that. Good news about the insurance payout though.
ReplyDeleteThe vet said false pregnancies are becoming more common and they don't know why.
DeleteOur daughters cat was pregnant when she got her, which was a surprise, Lily our cat is from the litter. The issue with plants is often the first winter, in our clay soil if the season is wet, it often kills plants, I lose many plants this way.
ReplyDeleteYeah, we've lost plants that way too.
DeleteWhen I was a kid, our next door neighbours had a dog who every now and then went through a false pregnancy. I was very puzzled by the entire thing - how could anyone (animal or human) have a false pregnancy? It was several more years before I learned about hormones at school.
ReplyDeleteThe insurance probably think you deserve more than you asked for because the situation was so stressful for you! Are you still checking the whereabouts online?
I love the Chinese lanterns! We call them lampion flowers here, and it's been a few weeks since I spotted the first one in someone's front garden in my neighbourhood - much smaller than usual, but also much earlier, as nearly everything seems to be this year.
I look at the whereabouts of my AirPods every now and then. I would disconnect them from my account but then I think they become available for others to connect. Right now, as I understand it, no one can use them because they're attached to my Apple account.
DeleteI find Bailey's protruding nipples strangely arousing. Is there any chance she could wear a dog T-shirt to keep them hidden? As for a possible pregnancy - perhaps she "met" a dog fox in the bushes by the back fence.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Google AI: "True foxes (genus Vulpes, like red or arctic foxes) cannot breed with domestic dogs because they are too genetically different."
DeleteThank God! You scared me!
There's a first for everything.
DeleteBailey is so busy. I find it relaxing to watch her. Glad to not see Ratthew. Too bad about the postponed surgery. I hope she’s not pregnant with her slim waistline.
ReplyDeleteI was watching her last night and decided there's no way she could be pregnant. The vet is right -- her waist is too narrow.
DeletePoor Bailey, another visit to the vets looms, mind you if she gets a toy to destroy every time she goes she will be looking forward to it. Aren't Chinese Lanterns lovely plants.
ReplyDeleteShe really took to this toy. I have a feeling she'd do anything to have another -- including giving up her uterus!
DeleteGlad the camera thing is settled. I don't answer those unidentified calls.
ReplyDeleteI normally don't either but I was curious about this one for some reason.
Delete"She has a nice waist." That made me chuckle.
ReplyDeleteI never answer unknown numbers and they are never anything I'd want to hear about; I do hear the voicemails.
We have some apartment repair issues in process and I thought it might be related to those.
DeleteI am with Bob and Travel. I always let unknown numbers go to voice mail.
ReplyDeletePoor Bailey!
I probably should have!
DeleteRatthew has met its match with Bailey on guard.
ReplyDeleteNow your camera is totally sorted, and you can forget about it.
I'll probably never forget about it entirely. The whole episode still hurts.
DeleteNearly two more weeks for Bailey to get pregnant!
ReplyDeleteUgh!
DeleteFascinating about the phantom babies! I didn't know that was a thing. I had a missed call on my cell phone the other day - a local police department had called at 2:22 a.m.! They didn't leave a message. It's weird because I have an Ohio area code so most of my spam comes from Ohio. Maybe one of my friends was incarcerated & I was their one call. Oh well!
ReplyDeleteGreat news on the camera claim!
That's very strange. I think I'd have called them back, but then, if they didn't call again it was probably a wrong number.
DeleteI understand that phantom pregnancy can follow on heat. The body evidently gets confused, as do the humans wondering if their dog is really in pup.
ReplyDeleteI can see how it would take a while for the dog to come down off a hormonal surge.
DeleteGreat news that the insurance came through for your camera equipment, Steve, and it's already been put to good use with your new purchases. Hope all turns out well for Bailey's next appointment with no new "surprises." Yeah on the rain, but far too little to do much good. We are forecast for a couple of rainy days next week, but forecats can prove untrue as we all know.
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of variables in the weather!
DeleteHow nice that you got the insurance money. Strange about Bailey's false pregnancy.
ReplyDeleteI have some preserved Chinese lanterns that I put out each year in Fall. Thanks for reminding me that it's that time again! ;)
They do make good dried flowers!
DeletePoor Bailey.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest I'm impressed that the insurance claim came through. I don't have much faith in insurance companies.
Me neither! I was expecting a battle, but they came through for me.
DeleteHormones can obviously have strange and strong effects in non-human mammals as well as human mammals. How interesting. And enlightening, too, really. In humans, especially the female ones, we sort of hold on to the misbelief that hormones can't possibly cause all of the emotional and psychological symptoms we claim they do. And yet...
ReplyDeleteLet me tell you- they do. They can and they do.
And having said that, I think, "Poor Bailey!"
Of course I would love for you guys to have a litter of pups around for awhile. But then again, I'm baby-crazy. Probably hormonally related.
Good news about the insurance! Hurray!
I wonder how much of Bailey's anxiety towards other dogs and energetic disposition is related to hormonal fluctuations. Maybe spaying (when the time finally comes) will calm her down. She would make cute puppies, but I can't imagine dealing with that and having to find homes for all of them.
DeleteI'm envisioning Staffy grandpas Steve and Dave with a litter of little Baileys. I sure as heck hope the vet is right! Three cheers on the insurance claim! I used to have Chinese lanterns and eons ago pulled them out because they spread so much. Now I'm thinking of buying another few and putting them in a different space where they can spread to their heart's content!
ReplyDeleteThat's what everyone says -- they spread like crazy. Not ours!
DeleteGlad to hear that your camera claim claim came through. Bailey probably has the rat problem under control.That's totally weird about her phantom pregnancy. There's a guy on the next street over with a litter of chihuahua puppies. He keeps trying to get me to take one.
ReplyDeleteOh, Lord, Minnie would not like that!
DeleteOh my, puppies were never part of the plan. Good to hear the nurse seems to think there will be no puppies.
ReplyDeleteNo rain here, not even a little bit.
The orange lanterns are lovely. My Uncle grew them easily; I have no luck with them.
Having the insurance claim approved with reimbursement check coming is great news.
I think we need a certain soil type to be successful with the lanterns. And I do think the nurse is right on the puppies -- I think there aren't any.
DeleteWell goodness, that was a day of surprises. I wonder what causes a "false pregnancy" in a dog. I'm glad you got your insurance pay out. That certainly makes me feel better about buying travel insurance every time I travel.
ReplyDeleteApparently the false pregnancy is a hormonal thing related to recently being in heat.
DeleteWhen I saw Bailey's first pictures I remember thinking 'wow, that gal has some nipples' and wondered if she recently had puppies. But since you didn't mentioned that she had, and although I do know about false pregnancies in dogs, my mind never went there.
ReplyDeletePoor Bailey, like many of the other women that commented, I know that hormones are a bitch!
Also, great news about your insurance claim! I almost chocked in my coffee when I looked up the price for your new set-up so I guess this will be helpful!
DeleteWe were told she'd previously had puppies, so I assumed the enlarged nipples came from that. (Olga had big nipples too.) It will be interesting to see if they shrink or change after she comes down off this hormonal high!
DeletePoor Bailey. She doesn't appear too bothered by her condition. When we took Sadie in for her spay she had very prominent teats, so the vet did an ultrasound to make sure she wasn't pregnant. Evidently she'd had a litter of puppies not too long before she showed up starving at our house. (probably thrown out because of it)
ReplyDeleteShe sure seems to be enjoying her new back yard!
Poor Sadie. I wonder what happened to her puppies. Best not to ask!
DeleteCritters can fool us. You are on top of the issue.
ReplyDeleteThis is not anything I expected, that's for sure!
DeleteDarn - I have obviously missed quite a bit with my sporadic blog surfs. Camera gone, I knew about Bailey and thought that I had commented since but perhaps not. 4.4mm is a good drop - I had a little celebration over 0.5 recently!
ReplyDeleteSee, I thought that rainfall was quite sparse! But I guess it's all relative!
DeleteNice toy and pretty Bailey ❤️
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to grow Chinese Lanterns. I "stole" one three years ago walking past a house that had them outside their fence, happened to have a trowel on me, wink, wink. We now have three small plants and one of them grew a lantern, which then had dropped off. Fingers crossed for next year! 🧡
Well, it's a good sign that it produced a lantern! Do you carry a trowel all the time? :D
DeleteI'm belatedly checking in here and see that I've missed Bailey's entrance into your family! She is fantastic!
ReplyDeleteYes, our newest family member! She's certainly keeping us on our toes! Good to hear from you, Elizabeth!
Delete