Sunday, August 30, 2026

Rain and Not Much Else


It rained off and on all day yesterday -- another 3.4 mm, giving us 10 mm so far for the month. (About 50 mm is average for August.) So we're still behind the curve but we're getting some moisture, and there's more to come this week supposedly.

Bailey and I actually got caught in the rain on our afternoon walk, something so unexpected that I didn't even think to bring an umbrella. We had to wait a few seconds beneath a shop awning until it slacked enough to keep going. The plants are happy, though the rain is beating up some of the older flowers like the Iron-in-the-Fire dahlia above.


Here's the whole garden from the back door. It looks greener in the picture than it really does, mainly because you can't see all the brown grass. But even this little bit of rain has freshened things up.

Otherwise I don't have much to say about yesterday. I read more of "Our Evenings" and walked the dog, did some laundry and some minor cleaning, and we watched "Titanic" in the afternoon (a good rainy day movie). And honestly, that was pretty much the extent of my activities. Ho hum!

In the evening I had a conversation with my siblings about the continued dispersal of my stepmother's estate. It just goes on and on.

35 comments:

  1. I can't believe how quickly our lawn is going back to green!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! Grass adapts quickly, but I think some of the wild grass in parks and on heathland will take a while to bounce back.

      Delete
  2. Every morning I look forward to reading "Shadows and Light" and seeing the pictures of course - even when they are of plants! However, this morning's blogpost has to be the dullest one ever churned out by Reed Communications Inc..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't particularly feeling it on this day, I must admit.

      Delete
  3. It was a nothing day here as well, we got 10mm of rain, making a total of 18mm this month, I sat with a good book most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten millimeters in a day is fantastic! We've had no single day rainfall anywhere near that amount.

      Delete
  4. It rained here in Helsinki, Finland, too, during the night and this morning. Great 💦
    Bytheway, I know one Susan Reed, an American who is now living in Greece,
    married to a Finn. A relative of yours? From under the heading "It's A Small World" 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I do not know Susan Reed, sadly. Reed (or its variant, Reid) is a fairly common surname in America.

      Delete
  5. A good walk in the rain can be nice. Granted, better with a brolly, but when it has been missing so long, welcome. I wish I could send you some of ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to re-learn the English habit of carrying an umbrella!

      Delete
  6. I am glad it is raining, days of gentle rain, is great. A downpour after a drought would be more likely to bring flooding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we need gentle rain but much more of it.

      Delete
  7. Your rain is giving me hope for some of our own.
    Oh, the dahlias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dahlias are slowly finishing their season. They're still blooming but nowhere near as prolifically as they were.

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks lush in that photo. Glad you are getting the rain you needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, as I said, it's a bit deceptive because you're only seeing the green plants and not the brown grass (and brown plants, of which there are many).

      Delete
  9. A little rain helps a bit. You captured the raindrops on the orange dahlia. The pastel orange color is lovely. We are supposed to get some rain tonight and next week (maybe). It is dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that dahlia. It's become one of my favorites and it really performed this year, almost better than any other.

      Delete
  10. They keep predicting rain for us but so far...nada. 55% chance of rain today and tomorrow but I'll believe it when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the weather people say, a 50 percent chance means you're just as likely NOT to have rain!

      Delete
  11. Too bad you did not think to bring an umbrella. You missed a wonderful opportunity to regale us with "Singing in the Rain'. Instead of Ginger, your partner would have been your bulldozer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Now THAT would have been a video worth recording. I doubt she dances like Debbie Reynolds.

      Delete
  12. I would love to get caught in the rain. Still dry, dry, dry here. We even had a wildfire (something I can't ever remember in my area) which is now 100% contained, but still burning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It's scary how common and widespread these fires are becoming.

      Delete
  13. We have cooler temperatures of late and had a massive rainstorm last week so I think the long hot summer is coming to a slow close.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really glad you are finally getting the much needed rain. However, it is a bit ironic since the programmer I work closely with at work landed in London this morning. He asked me last week if he should expect a lot of rain and silly me, I told him there is a drought and the city hasn't gotten much rain all summer. I hope he brought an umbrella anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. After our long drought, we have resumed our typical thunderstorm per day pattern. Sometimes two per day. I'm glad you're finally getting some rain, too. Titanic has never done much for me. I get tired of people complaining that Jack could have fit on the door with Rose.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved "Titanic" from the first time I saw it, having been fascinated by the sinking since childhood. When I was a kid the ship still hadn't been found, so there was an air of mystery to it all.

      Delete
  16. Your garden is lovely from this angle. I love the iron-in-the-fire Dahlia. I STILL haven't seen Titanic, yet I have the dvd right there on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should watch it! The love story is a bit hammy but the effects are worth it, even now.

      Delete
  17. What a change in the garden. Bailey must have enjoyed the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't seem to mind a little rain. As we've seen in the swimming videos, she doesn't mind being wet! (Though immersion and rain are two different things, often prompting different reactions in dogs.)

      Delete
  18. Estates take an enormous amount of planning ahead of time to be distributed in a timely manner after death. Unfortunately, most don't spend the time ahead of death and so we end up fighting it for years after. Fortunately, I get the sense that everything is harmonious with your siblings so it should get done eventually.

    ReplyDelete