Sunday, August 23, 2026

She's a Unit


I'm having some fun experimenting with the new camera in the garden, but I wish I could take it out on the streets. I can't really do that until my camera bag arrives, though! That should happen tomorrow. Meanwhile, lots of garden shots.


Even plain ol' houseflies look elegant sunning themselves on the flowers!

Thanks for all your concern about my ears. Let me just clarify -- although there's mild itchiness, there's no redness, heat, swelling or other sign of infection, and if it's an allergic reaction it's not a very severe one. It shouldn't be an allergy, because the earrings are titanium, which is hypoallergenic. (That's why it's used in medical implants.) If it persists or becomes worse I'll follow up with the piercing studio, but I really think it's just my ears' initial reaction to the mild injury of the piercing. In fact I'm less and less aware of it over time.


I spent yesterday morning reading on the garden bench, and Bailey stationed herself in the sun near the birdbath, just like Olga used to do. Bailey looks like a walrus or elephant seal, hauled up from the ocean with her gray-brown coloring and somewhat bulky (but muscular!) body.

I was walking her yesterday afternoon when a neighbor stopped me and asked about her. I told him her name and she enthusiastically welcomed his scratches. "She's a unit, though, isn't she?" he said.

Perplexed, I replied: "A what?"

He made a sort of He-Man muscle pose, and then I understood. "Yeah, she's strong," I said. I laughed about this later with Dave, who said the kids at school use the word "unit" this way. We both agreed that we should have named her Unit. It's likely to become one of her nicknames.

(From Google: "In slang, a unit (often used in the phrase 'absolute unit') describes a person or animal that is physically large, muscular, heavy, or impressively imposing.") Here's a Reddit thread about the age and origins of the term, which are apparently disputed.


I spotted this street sign on our dog walk, and laughed at the appended note. Yes, there is another way, via Fortune Green Road.

Last night we went out with our friend Gordon and his wife Donna, who we haven't seen in several months. We ate at Chez Rose near Bond Street, which was very good. (I had Dover sole meunière.) We traded stories of our summer adventures, their travels around Ireland in a camper van and our excursions through Italy and Croatia, including my tale of woe with my camera and my excavation of the garbage dumpster in Rome. Now that I've replaced the camera I can laugh about it -- sort of.

9 comments:

  1. Who wrote, "On The Garden Bench"? Was it William Faulkner? Somehow I missed the camera saga. Maybe you blogged about it while I was in Majorca. I shall go back to read up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I have read the tale now. Tragic but nobody died and you did not contract some deadly disease, nor did you have to fight lions in The Colosseum.

      Delete
  2. Excellent pictures, now that you have the new camera, keep them coming. Give Unit a friendly scratch from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those two photos with the fly on the flower are very impressive. You are going to have some fun with this new camera.
    I've never hear the word 'unit' used that way. I'm sure there are lots and lots of things like that I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well. Since Lily and Lauren's dog Xena (aka, Large Marge) now weighs 100 lbs., I suppose she is a unit.
    Titanium earrings? I remember when stainless steel was the metal used in the first pair of earrings. Glad to hear that there's really no problem.
    Dammit! Your camera is making me jealous! I'll get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the clarification on the earrings ... I have 2 titanium knees so, yeah ... that works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is another way. That made me smile. Your fotos are amazing which makes me want a good camera (and your skill and eye). I did think Olga looked like a harbor seal. What a unit. (A new one for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. From being in touch with young farmers in the Dales I'm familiar with the term, used to describe a great bull or cow! In fact when I saw the first pictures of Bailey, I thought she's an absolute UNIT!

    ReplyDelete