Thursday, August 13, 2026

Supernatural Events

Cosmos in the garden

Today we're supposed to have crazy heat, in the mid-90's (F) by midday. It seems hard to imagine now, with the temperature a comfortable 66ยบ F this morning, but that's what the weather folks are saying and there's an orange heat warning. So Dave and I have arranged to go to an IMAX showing of "The Odyssey," which should kill off a couple of air-conditioned hours this afternoon.

Bailey will have to hang out at home, which should be interesting because we've never left her on her own for more than half an hour or so. But she's gotta learn sometime. If we didn't have a hosepipe ban I'd reward her with a kiddie pool so she could get in the water, which she loves, right in the back garden. Instead I'll take her to the Heath for a cooling soak tomorrow.


I took her to the cemetery yesterday. You can see how cracked and dry the ground is. There are several areas in the back of the cemetery where the paths have been blocked by fallen trees, and this is one of them. I'd have to limbo pretty low to get beneath that branch. Fortunately a new path has been worn to the left, allowing us to go around. (I see now, looking back at old posts, that this particular tree fell a couple of years ago. Some of the others falls are more recent.)

As we approached the fenced path that cuts through the center of the cemetery, I heard some anodyne version of "Jambalaya (On the Bayou)" echoing through the air. (It wasn't The Carpenters version, which is pretty anodyne, but it was similar. If I had to guess I'd say Engelbert Humperdinck, though I have no idea whether he ever recorded "Jambalaya.")

A couple walking toward me were looking around, trying to figure out where the music was coming from, and we realized the source was a parked car nearby. "Oh, I thought we were getting a concert!" I said.

"Go on mate, join in. You know you want to," said the man, and we all laughed.

Sure enough, a woman had parked her car, opened all the doors and was sitting on a nearby grave, blasting "Jambalaya" for all it was worth. She was also on the phone. Bailey didn't know what to make of that, and neither did I.


I tried to take a picture of her showing the vast and moistureless blue sky. She's very squirmy around cameras and I got frustrated with her, but later I was happy to find this shot. It worked out after all.

Oh, by the way, yesterday we officially told the dog rescue that we'd like to adopt Bailey. (Technically we've been fostering her up to now.) They're drawing up the paperwork and they're going to make an appointment for her to be spayed. We went through the same routine with Olga and I remember it well.

Then, last night, we had THE ECLIPSE! I thought Dave and I might walk down to the bridge over the tube tracks, where we have a clear view of the western sky, in order to get a good perspective on it -- but then Dave put dinner in the oven so we didn't dare leave the house. We wound up being able to see it in our back garden until the sun sank below the apartment buildings behind us, and then we went out on the street in front and watched from there.


We used the colander method, in which a handy kitchen colander casts tiny images of the eclipse onto any available surface. You can see the little crescent-shaped eclipses on the white paper. The sky got surprisingly dark at its peak, and although I did not look directly at the eclipse, I did sort of let my eyes sweep across the sky and in that moment I got a glance at it. Very weird. I can see how our cave-people ancestors would have been terrified (and probably blinded!) by such an occurrence. I don't think I've ever seen a solar eclipse before.

49 comments:

  1. Did Dave prepare crawfish pie and fillet gumbo with the jambalaya? The third line seems apposite...

    Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo
    For tonight, I'm a-gonna see my, my cher au mi-oh
    Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gay-oh
    Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the Bayou

    How many bayous are there in West Hampstead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an eclipse here a few years back and it is weird how the sky goes dark but a different dark than normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was very eerie. I get why it creeped out earlier civilizations.

      Delete
  3. All I can see is the shadow of your colander but have seen two eclipses in my lifetime. Both in the day time and rather boring. The sun eating the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to appreciate them when you can't look at the action! If you look closely at the colander shadow you'll see that the little round holes are actually crescents.

      Delete
  4. I forgot about the eclipse! I guess we weren't in the right path to see it (or at least I hope so since it would have been terrible to miss it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was mainly just in Europe. I don't think anyone in North America could see it...?

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you are adopting Bailey. She seems so at home with you and Dave already.
    I saw an eclipse a couple of years ago. It's eerie but also cool.
    I like all of the tiny dots of the eclipse that you have on that paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth seeing, and I'm glad we made an effort.

      Delete
    2. We had one a couple years ago. I saw it with all my grandchildren, so, it was special. What struck me is how noticeably cooler the air was during totality. Also the silence. No seagulls screaming. The crowd got silent.

      Delete
  6. Angus reported that it clouded over in St Andrews,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well! Apparently in Cornwall there was a smoky fire and there were fears that would obscure the eclipse too.

      Delete
  7. Never thought I would hear a native Floridian say "crazy heat" and "mid-90's" together! The last few day have been in the mid 90's here with lows in the upper 70's!. I have been wearing two shirts every day, alternating them every couple hours to give the other one time to evaporate all the sweat off.

    I've seen a few partial eclipses but haven't seen a total one which is on my bucket list. I came close a few years back when my oldest daughter and I traveled down into the path of totality but it clouded up and actually started raining on us about 10 minutes before the totality occurred. Still, the darkness made all the hairs on my arms and neck stand straight up. It was just so unnatural feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I were in Florida it would be normal, but here it's crazy! (Plus, as I have often pointed out, in Florida we'd have air conditioning.) We were supposed to get 93 percent eclipse coverage here, but I didn't see it at that peak.

      Delete
  8. The eclipse was no big deal in S. Colorado! I was going to watch it all on the NASA YouTube channel, but when they showed where it would be most visible, I changed the channel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think you could see it at all from there. It was mainly a European event, I believe.

      Delete
  9. Oh man! I know that song well. When the ex husband was in a band with Bill Wharton they played it. It's a dancey tune.
    Great shot of Bailey and the blue sky.
    I just wrote on John Gray's blog about how when we had a total eclipse here I completely morphed back into an early human who had no idea whatsoever what was causing the darkness. I swear to you- I felt sick and nauseous. I did not like it at all.
    Glad to hear that Bailey is now about to join your family both legally and formally. Will there be a ceremony or just the surgery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have new respect for the song having read that Hank Williams wrote it. I had no idea. It's still not one of my favorites. I had a similar reaction to the eclipse -- it definitely made my spidey sense crawl. I'm not sure how we'll commemorate Bailey joining the family any more than we already have. The surgery seems a rather harsh way to do it, doesn't it?

      Delete
  10. We didn't get the eclipse here -- too far south, I guess. That had to be fun. I remember the one a couple of years ago and it was a pretty interesting phenomenon. I love that photo of Bailey. Your new neighbors will tell you how well she does while you're gone! The Odyssey is very long and very loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too far west, I think. Yeah, the loudness of "The Odyssey" really bothered me!

      Delete
  11. How fun that you got to see the eclipse. My friends Julie & Dave (the perpetual travelers) are in Greenland to see the eclipse. It's the fourth or fifth time they've traveled to see one. Dave said they see some of the same people on these trips and he calls it a 'cult'. But he does enjoy it. They have sent me some gorgeous photos of Greenland. I've been thinking about sharing one or two on the blog. I'll never go to Greenland, might as well enjoy their photos. Enjoy The Odyssey. I've been reading all kinds of reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know it would be visible in Greenland, though I did hear it was happening in Iceland so I guess that's not too much of a surprise. Absolutely, blog their photos! I'd love to see them!

      Delete
  12. I love the photo of Bailey and the sky! Seeing the total eclipse in 2024 was one of the high points of my life. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blasting music is fun for the young. I could do without it especially when enjoying the park, woodlands or beach.
    You took a great photo of Bailey and the perfectly blue in the sky makes an excellent background.
    This morning a broadcaster spoke about the record-breaking heat in England. There seems to be no end in sight. We are hot at 80+ during the day and much cooler at night. Rain showers have been predicted but they do not materialize.
    Bailey will soon be an official family member. Time to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't that young! LOL

      The lack of rain is the hardest part about this heat wave. If it was just heat I could cope, but we haven't had a drop of rain in two months.

      Delete
  14. I chased an eclipse around Mexico once in the mid 80s, trying to get around clouds. A few years ago I drove to southern Indiana to see one. That was a great show! I'd never heard of the Carpenter's version of Jambalaya, so googled it. Awful! How much worse could it get? Hank Williams's rolling over in his grave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I used to own the Carpenters album that included that version, and even then I hated it. When they were good they were very very good, but when they were bad they were awful.

      Delete
  15. I remember the solar eclipse in 1999 and another back in the early 1970s which was quite exciting for us kids back then.
    This one was quite disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it?! Why do you think so? (Maybe you've blogged this in which case I need to check your blog!)

      Delete
  16. What an incongruous song that is to hear at an English cemetery (or any cemetery). that would have annoyed me, even more so had I been on the other end of that phone call. Great photo of Bailey and the blue sky. Hope you got to enjoy The Odyssey. A great choice for IMAX, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very strange to hear that song in Hampstead Cemetery, I agree! I liked "The Odyssey" but my god it was loud.

      Delete
  17. We weren't treated to the eclipse this time. John loves them; we've traveled twice (once to Nevada and once to Austin, TX) to see them. What did you think of "The Odyssey?" Those temperatures are crazy! Not at all what I would expect from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to see the eclipse but I wouldn't have traveled for it. And now I feel like I can chalk that off my bucket list! As I said to Mitchell above, I liked "The Odyssey" a lot but it was painfully loud in places.

      Delete
  18. I've experienced a couple of solar eclipses and last time took pictures of shadows under trees showing those crescents, very weird and exciting.
    So Bailey's going to have her Gotcha Day, great. She's certainly a fixture already in your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the tree shadows are very cool. I wasn't in a place where I could easily see those, but a friend sent me her pictures a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  19. I was in a solar eclipse once. It was a little spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS spooky! Imagine not understanding what was happening, like ancient people!

      Delete
  20. I wonder why people think they have the right to loudly inflict their musical choices on others in public spaces. I am becoming a most excellent grumpy old man.
    I can remember seeing a full solar eclipse when I was young. Birds roosted, street lights came on, the temperature dropped and it was very dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't notice the temperature dropping (I wish!) but everything else, yes.

      Delete
  21. I saw your eclipse on the news last might and heard it was a once in a lifetime thing since it won't happen again there until 2090. (I think)
    Hooray for adopting Bailey ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I heard that too -- so it's a good thing we watched it!

      Delete
  22. That's a great photo of Bailey with the blue sky. Congratulations on the adoption.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was happy with the picture considering she would NOT cooperate, LOL!

      Delete
  23. The eclipse coincided with my Mum's birthday, and she ordered those special specs for all of us. Of course we were joking that the eclipse was in her honour. Seven of us were at a beer garden that evening, and because under the large old trees of course you wouldn't see a thing, my sister and I walked up the street to a spot from where we had a very good view. We found it an impressive and fascinating experience. Very different from the one in the 1990s, which happened in the middle of the day.

    Congratulations on putting Bailey's adoption in motion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to have the glasses! If I had it to do over again I think I'd have ordered some.

      Delete