Saturday, September 5, 2026

An Anemone and More Bureaucracy


When I was walking Bailey on Thursday we passed a house where someone had thrown away several pink anemone plants, or at least cuttings from them. Why anyone would do this I have no idea, but I broke off a stalk with some flower buds on it and brought it home, and stuck it in some water, and yesterday morning was rewarded with this flower.

Our own anemones are having an off year, partly because of the drought and partly because they've been relentlessly trampled by the dog. In fact, I'm not sure they're all going to survive. But at least we now have this one flower and maybe we'll get a few more. Maybe the stalk will even root, though I doubt it.


Yesterday morning as I walked Bailey we got caught in an absolute downpour, the likes of which I haven't seen around here in a while. It didn't go on long but it really came down -- we got 1.8 mm of rain yesterday and I think it all fell in the span of about ten minutes. Anyway, Bailey and I ran part of the way home and then ducked into a doorway on Finchley Road for shelter and watched passing traffic in the deluge.

Apparently I'm going to have to get back in the habit of carrying around an umbrella, or at least looking at the weather forecast. This is a good thing, though. Maybe our drought is gradually easing.

Then I got a terrible jolt when the mail came. My stepmother's bank sent me a letter outlining the documents I needed to re-submit to claim my portion of her estate, and in addition to everything I've already submitted, including the recent apostilles, they asked for a "US Transfer Certificate" from the IRS. Now, I'd never heard of this -- and when I looked online, it seemed obvious that this document does not apply to my stepmother. It's needed when a US citizen or non-citizen taxpayer dies while living overseas. My stepmother lived and died in Florida! In addition, the IRS clearly says the certificate is not needed if a decedent's estate is being administered in the USA -- as in this case, by my stepsister. So what the heck was this bank talking about?!

I was tied in knots about this all morning, because if I'm required to get this document, it will mean waiting up to 18 months (!) according to the IRS, not to mention notarizing and certifying a whole raft of additional paperwork. And it MAKES NO SENSE. Some idiot at the bank either just looked at my London address and assumed my stepmother died here, or doesn't understand what the Transfer Certificate is for.

Finally, the clock ticked around to afternoon when I could call the bank in the USA, and I did. I explained the situation and the helpful Miriam "put in an expedited ticket" to get the "business office" to re-examine their demand for the Transfer Certificate. I'm supposed to call again next week to get the verdict.

And then we had the whole Blogger commenting situation. Like many of you, I couldn't comment on my own blog and I couldn't comment on anyone else's. I spent a bunch of time clearing my cookies and trying different browsers and my phone and restarting my computer, all to no avail. Eventually it became clear that this problem was bigger than me, so I left a complaint with Blogger, as did a bunch of other people, and these were consolidated into a single thread in the help center which tracked the problem. Now it appears to be fixed, insha'allah.

But bloody hell -- it was one of those days. By the time Dave got home yesterday evening I was in dire need of a martini (or possibly two) and a couple of episodes of "Keeping Up Appearances."

29 comments:

  1. Thank goodness comments are being published today - it was just one sided conversations yesterday which are no fun at all.
    Looks like a useful rain there - same here Friday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not your best day then? I hope today is more relaxing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Prince Haulage Ltd."- So that's how they shift Prince Harry around! It's a clever security trick spoilt by the obvious fact that they declare their mission in big white letters on the side of the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unlike shifting the "big man" to a different jet in a concessions cart (or whatever it was)

      Delete
  4. I didn't bother complaining to Blogger, I knew it must have been THEIR problem not ours since so many of us were affected. I decided to just wait it out.
    You will have to start carrying an umbrella, but what about Bailey?
    I hope the snafu with the estate is soon sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the "Whole Bucket" on DVD for days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just doesn't stop with the legal stuff, does it? I hope every single thing works out and quickly. Will being in the US for your holiday help (as in visit the bank?) or is the issue on the UK side? I hope it's done. I complained to blogger too. Glad it's back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father's estate was quite easy to get through probate for the most part; a few glitches but nothing too terrible. The worst part was dealing with the attorney handling probate who died a few months into the probate!!
    Hopefully it gets straightened out, kinda like Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this point I'd be ready to relinquish my claim. Money isn't worth this kind of agita. I'm glad rain is returning. I expect everything will green up now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally, able to comment again! I think your theory of the bank wanting to keep the money themselves is looking more and more likely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Frankly, I was relieved to have a day off of commenting both on others' blogs and my own. I wasn't worried about the issue at all. I'm feeling less concerned about certain things I have no control over these days. It will be what it will be, I suppose. And do we write our blogs just to get others' reactions? And are our own reactions to others' blogs really that important?
    It seems to have become so. But I do realize that without comments, we're sort of shouting (or whispering) in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. We've evidently traded. It has been hot and dry for the last couple weeks and the ten day forecast shows more of the same. I'm ready for a change already even after the moisture rich coolish summer we had for most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems that there are many imbeciles in government service. They don't know how to read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brutal - Just Flipping Brutal

    Big Hugs ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bureaucracy drives me crazy, as do large companies where you can't easily talk to a person. I'm glad you made a complaint to blogger because I have no idea how to do that either.
    Hopefully you took some deep breaths at the end of the day. This too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We got some rain! Just kidding. It was about 10 minutes of a shower, not a hard rain which we need. Can't your brother in law deal with the bank on your behalf?

    ReplyDelete
  16. AND that is why we have an attorney to deal with paper work and forms and such . I could not do what you have done!
    That was one helluva squall you got caught in. I left my best rain jacket in spiderman's hole, regretfully- it had a hood with a bill that fit nicely in sudden rain. Another reason to not like spiderman.
    Beautiful save- the little pink anemone - fresh as a new born.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds so typically "government". Ugh. It WAS a bad day yesterday. I fell for the first time in years and I'm getting too old for that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope the estate gets settled soon. I'm sure your garden was happy to see that rain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a beautiful anemone blooming in your vase. Nice rescue, Steve.
    Moving money from one country to another is not well understood. When I inherited Sterling from a UK aunt, the UK solicitor/attorney could not electronically transfer funds to my US bank. One would think electronic transfer is universally common. I eventually got a check for Sterling, and my bank converted it to US dollars. Why do things have to be so inefficient?
    The downpour was good for all the dry ground. Even a little rain helps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That thing with the comments was very annoying. I'm glad they got it fixed. However, it looks like you had even more annoyances yesterday. That bank issue is extremely annoying. As you probably already know, I'm a former banker and I can assure you it should not be that difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lizard people. I tried to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Argh! Banks, lawyers, and estates. And from across the ocean. What a pain in the ass (oh, arse). Hope that gets resolved properly, and quickly. Drink a martini for me, too. I miss those. Maybe that will be my September splurge drink. Hope the rain is a sign of better times where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  24. paperwork!!! and people assuming without asking...exasperating!!!
    I seems that whatever weather we are to receive will be exaggerated.

    Dog...and umbrella...hmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Someone at that bank seems to not know what's going on and hope that your talk with Miriam and explaining the situation will bring a resolution. Seems everyone was in the same loop as fr as not being able to comment on their own or anyone else's blog, yet Wordpress commenting was OK. Like yourself, I also tried clearing out websites and turning the computer on and off but beyond that decided to take a "wait and see" attitude. Things seem to be back on track, and wonder what the issue was that caused the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  26. To look up the reason for the document was very wise.
    Unless I've been messing about with settings or whatever on my computer, I generally just wait and see what happens. With a lack of comments on any blog, it was pretty clear that something big was underway.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have faith that Miriam's expedited ticket will solve the problem. It's similar to one of the way I solve problems for clients when it's something I can't change myself.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I too couldn't Comment on anyone else's Blog for Three maddening Days! It did self correct now. The Banks anymore hire people that have no idea what they're doing. I'm a Retired Bank Executive and I swear I wanna implode when dealing with Today's financial Institutions and their Employees. If I have to tell them how to do their job and the legal liabilities they're courting, I want their paycheck sent to me, they haven't earned it. Mini rant over, I hope all that mess works out for you so you can collect your inheritance without it being a further Dog and Pony Show. We've been getting crazy Storms, blew half the roof off my RV Garage and we're still dealing with the Insurance, Claim, etcetera while our Contractor is on Hold waiting to receive the Money for the supplies... the deductibles now are Insane. It's 1% of what they deem your Property Value is per Claim, luckily they are Idiots and deemed our Property worth $300,000 less than it actually is *whew*... and 2% for anyone on the East Coast, yowsah! And ouch. Our Contractor said he'd cover the deductible, I have to imagine he knows how much they are now? That Flower is just Beautiful, glad you rescued it.

    ReplyDelete