Here's an example of how a photographer sometimes depends on luck to get a shot. What caught my eye here was the bright yellow van, and how the yellow of the license plates on the motorcycles echoed the same color. So I began taking pictures, and as I did so, this woman in a black sweater walked by, and that black car passed simultaneously on the street. Voila! It was all very fortunate -- a composition in yellow and black. If there'd been a passerby in a blue shirt across the street, or a green car passing instead, the shot wouldn't have worked.
You're getting this picture from my walk around Mayfair on Thursday because I took only one picture yesterday, and it was no great shakes. I spent the day at home, mostly on the computer, catching up on blog comments and reading. I feel like I was so busy all day, but then Dave came home in the afternoon and asked what I'd been up to, and I had trouble answering. "Laundry?" I said lamely. It's amazing how you can blow a whole day doing inconsequential stuff that doesn't even merit discussion.
Here's yesterday's one picture, taken on our morning dog walk, in case you're curious:
I just got the funniest e-mail from Mrs. Russia, our former upstairs neighbor: "Sorry to bother you. A KFC order was delivered to the wrong address by mistake and has been left outside the door. Would you mind throwing it away, please, before the foxes get to it? Thank you so much, and sorry for the inconvenience."
She sent it at 9:30 p.m. last night, and I didn't get it until just now, so of course I had visions of fried chicken strewn all over the front steps. But there's nothing there, so I suppose her tenants found it. Poor foxes lost out!
We have successfully arranged for a dog-walker for Bailey, which I'm happy about. I've been concerned about how she'd fare during my absence in Florida later this month, with Dave at work all day. The walker will take her to Hampstead Heath every morning, which will be a treat for her -- and hopefully he can also help train her how to behave better on a leash and in the presence of other dogs. (Though she has improved a lot already. I walked her to the cemetery yesterday and she didn't bark once at another dog -- and we saw several!)
Random graffiti from my walks last week.
I'm just about to start a new book -- Ike Eisenmann's memoir about being a child actor for Disney. Eisenmann was an omnipresent film star in the '70s, appearing in multiple Disney movies like "Escape to Witch Mountain," as well as ABC Afterschool Specials and various TV shows (and eventually a "Star Trek" movie). He was an early and innocent crush for gay boys of my generation, and co-starred with other tween heartthrobs of the time like Lance Kerwin. I'm intrigued to read this book and see what stardom looked like to him, from inside the Disney machine.
I'm just about to start a new book -- Ike Eisenmann's memoir about being a child actor for Disney. Eisenmann was an omnipresent film star in the '70s, appearing in multiple Disney movies like "Escape to Witch Mountain," as well as ABC Afterschool Specials and various TV shows (and eventually a "Star Trek" movie). He was an early and innocent crush for gay boys of my generation, and co-starred with other tween heartthrobs of the time like Lance Kerwin. I'm intrigued to read this book and see what stardom looked like to him, from inside the Disney machine.




Great example of fortunate photographic moments. Even the yellow gold strap across her shoulder. The graffiti is chilling. Poorly dressed? I shudder at the thought. I had a dream about you Bailey last night. She sat calmly and wagged her tail when another dog came by.
ReplyDeleteEver heard of The Mister Men? In your home there's now a Mister Busy and a Mister Lazy. The latter watches old episodes of "Coronation Street", eats KFC and scrolls to find reasonably priced dog walkers who can take over that onerous duty. Next you'll be employing a gardener.
ReplyDeleteReading, taking care of Bailey and the house work is NOT inconsequential.
ReplyDeleteThe yellow and black street shot really was a lucky moment!
It's great that Bailey has already improved so much that she has not barked at other dogs during your recent walk.
I figured Bailey would get better about other dogs once becoming acclimated to you and the walks.
ReplyDeleteI can understand how the chicken happened. I sometimes order from Subway using their app and then go pick it up. Once I stopped to pick it up and they had no register of my order being place. I pulled up the app and realized the last time I had ordered had been nearly four months ago as I had been heading down to the farm for a day of work and had gotten a sandwich at a distant town that I pass through for my lunch. So they had a sandwich sitting on their shelf all day while I had to order a second one and wait for it back in the town I was at currently.
ReplyDeleteFortunate about the colours in the first picture 😊
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the second picture ❤️ I could look at it forever;
Stone, red brick, the fence, the light and shadow. Beautiful.
I'm glad you found a dog walker. It's a good social experience for Bailey, widening her world a bit. I bet she does very well, now that she's feeling secure.
ReplyDeleteIt's good news that you found a dog walker, they are a big thing these days aren't there. There are a lot of people doing it for a living in our small town.
ReplyDeleteOur days are filled with the little things that are hard to remember, and to important to forget.
ReplyDeleteWow! Not barking at another dog? That is HUGE! Good job! The "Reed effect" works outside the school library. SHHHHHHHH!
ReplyDelete