Monday, September 7, 2026
Upper-Body Workout
This little garden spider wove an elaborate web among the purple heart plants just inside our back door. I felt a little bad for it, because surely there won't be many passing insects there. (I hope not, anyway!) I was going to move it outside but the next time I looked it was gone. Maybe it made the move on its own. Either that or the dog ate it.
Speaking of the dog, Bailey and I had more adventures on the Heath yesterday, including swimming in the duckweed pond on Sandy Heath. (Well, I didn't -- she did.) That black dot by the big clump of irises in the distance is a labrador retriever who was swimming toward us. As you can see Bailey is on full alert and ready to plunge toward the other dog -- I held her back on her long lead.
Walking her with that lead is a workout. I've been musing lately about going back to the gym, because even though I walk a lot I want to keep my upper body in shape. After yesterday, I'm thinking I don't need the gym at all! I am seriously sore this morning from managing Bailey on that leash!
We visited the old Pitt House gate, also on Sandy Heath...
...and Bailey was constantly patrolling and lunging after squirrels. Things get a bit dicey when she runs into copses like the one above -- the lead can easily get tangled in the trees. When she ran into one especially dense thicket, I took her off the lead for a moment in order to untangle it -- and like a rocket she was gone, chasing squirrels with wild abandon. I ran after her thinking I would never catch her, calling her name (which she ignored), and caught up with her only when she paused at the base of a tree containing a terrified squirrel.
Now we know that she does not come when her name is called -- at least not when there are squirrels around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Tie the leash around your waist? That could have really blogworthy consequences 😅
ReplyDeleteHa! Rope burn being the first!
DeleteYou're going to have to spend some time training her to respond/return instantly when called, perhaps a puppy/dog training school can help with that. Spiders have been known to retract their webs and move on.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, it's one of the many things we're working on. It will come with time.
DeleteYou should have called Bailey "Juicy Pork Chop" instead. She would have obeyed that call.
ReplyDeleteHa! Squirrel noises would have worked, too.
DeleteWe had a Jack Russell called Rosy, who loved to chase the squirrels in the park near my Mum's, she was so fast that she would literally run up a tree after them, before gravity did it's thing. She thought it was great fun.
ReplyDeleteBailey tries her best to jump into the tree, but doesn't get much lift!
DeleteYou are certainly getting a workout on the walks with Bailey and sure the squirrels are as well.
ReplyDeleteYeah, we're all getting our exercise!
DeleteI agree with River. A well run obedience training is required. I wonder if her zero tolerance of dogs might require solo training at first, moving into a group setting only after she has begun to attend to commands. Jabblog could probably offer some guidance. But a lunging dog who does not respond to her name is leading to some frightening consequences. Do you know anything of her history? How old she was when surrendered?
ReplyDeleteUnderstand I am not saying she is a bad dog. I am saying that she has been poorly socialized and untrained, that's all.
DeleteI'm not sure she was "surrendered" so much as abandoned. I don't know much about the specifics. If she's on a lead, she's fine -- and in fact I'm told she's never outright attacked any other dog, as far as anyone knows. This was simply a reminder that I can't take her off lead even for a moment, especially when she's in a squirrel-frenzy. I'm training her but these things take time.
DeleteI wonder what my equivalent of a squirrel is? At one time it was cameras.
ReplyDeleteHa! You chased cameras?! :)
DeleteI'm not sure any dog can be managed when a squirrel is in the picture. I'm glad you could get her back and probably a good lesson to learn. But that had to be scary.
ReplyDeleteExactly -- this is just dog behavior. They go nuts around squirrels.
DeleteI've never met a dog who would always come when called. I guess I have only known unruly dogs.
ReplyDeleteHa! Me too! Even Olga wouldn't come when called if she was after a squirrel. I feel like I'm making Bailey sound terrible but a lot of this is just normal dog behavior.
DeleteI think Bailey believed the squirrel was the important thing and when she was done she could always wander back to you.
ReplyDeleteI think so too! The problem is, on the Heath, there's always another squirrel!
DeleteI agree with Debby and, I've said it before ... You and Bailey both need to go through obedience school/training! You really should consider it once Bailey gets her spay surgery done! Talk to your Vet about it! Be a good dog Dad and get the pup into school!
ReplyDeleteBut also, remember we've only had Bailey for six weeks or so. Her behavior has already improved immensely and I'm sure it will continue to do so. We intend to hire a dog walker who will also help with training.
DeleteI like the idea of obedience training and now you have time to do it.
ReplyDeleteEvery day that I walk her is obedience training!
DeleteYes, recall is important especially when it involves dicey situations.
ReplyDeleteMany years ago, I had a puppy and we were enrolled in puppy kindergarten. Eventually she learned recall but before it happened, she got away from me and ran through the woods to a neighbor's property. Like you, I ran to retrieve my dog but before I got to her, Donna (my then neighbor) said, "Can't you just call the dog from your front porch?' I responded, "That's the goal but we are not quite there yet." I thanked Donna for her understanding and she did not smile. Gotta love some people despite it all.
Some people are not dog people and don't get it!
DeleteThat spider photo is just beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteWhen Minnie was young she used to love to run and she was like a rocket. She would run giant loops around the yard and then she would run straight at me and leap into my arms. I thought at the time that it's a good thing she wants to be here because I could never catch her.
ReplyDeleteInteresting the the Pitt House gate still stands and no sign of the house.
I'd be getting training in for Bailey and you before you end up with a damaged shoulder. I've seen dogs surrendered when owners couldn't keep walking them. Just sayin.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to compete with squirrels. Pretty spider.
ReplyDeleteI have sore shoulder and back muscles from walking Charlie. I feel your pain. Some dogs turn off their ears when they are chasing things, my beagle for instance.
ReplyDeleteMy Welsh never EVER get dirty in muddy brooks how gay
ReplyDeleteMy dog Ted always came when I called, except when he was in hot pursuit of some animal. That was true until the day he died.
ReplyDeleteNo squirrels here but Scully chasing wild goats has similar outcomes - the goats get away and she won't come back until the chase is well and truly over.
ReplyDeletePrincess walks beautifully on a leash, but Alice needs a lot more practice. I walk the two of them together because Alice learns from Princess, but it gives me quite a work out. Bailey will learn.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Bailey is certainly putting you through your paces. She‘ll have you completely trained yet.
ReplyDelete