Monday, February 6, 2012

Polite


As I was running Saturday, I came up behind a man and two women who were walking abreast, blocking the sidewalk. "On your right! Excuse me!" I said -- probably louder than I had to, but it's hard to modulate your voice when you're gasping for air. As I passed them, the man reprimanded me with an added "Please!"

The British are definitely big on politeness. I thought afterwards about whether I'd been rude. I suppose I could have said "please," but I thought "excuse me" had me covered.

At least I didn't say, "Move the f*ck over, and don't block the sidewalk," which was my inner New Yorker's first thought.

(Photo: Notting Hill, on Jan. 23.)

5 comments:

Ms.M said...

Ha, ha! That is what I always think. Actually reading your story made me think they were the impolite ones. How self absorbed were they that they either didn't notice you were coming or that they weren't polite enough to move over. How rude.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Can you tell?

Ms. M

utahDOG! said...

Just shoulder check the man out of the way. Better yet, shoulder check the woman and risk injury to yourself even less.

Sidewalk hogs need a wake-up call.

Linda Sue said...

Polite! Yes! The
British are always apologizing for something but are not really sorry...sometimes politeness is annoyingly dishonest. I suppose living on such a tiny bit of land the British have had to learn civility above all else. Too much of a good thing???

mouse (aka kimy) said...

thanks for the head's up

gotta remember the tip

ok....


i'll start working on: 'excuse me, please, oh sorry, sorry' (grovel, grovel bow, bow,) that should cover things, eh?

The Bug said...

I think excuse me DID cover it - sheesh!

LOL at mouse :)