Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Making Tech Progress


The computer situation has improved. I took my old and new computers to work yesterday, and borrowed a cable from the tech office that allowed me to connect them. With some advice from the techies, I was able to transfer my iTunes content and some other files, without transferring everything -- thus avoiding burdening my new computer with old files I don't need.

I also borrowed a cable to connect our computer and television, proving that our faulty connection is due to our ratty old cable. Time to buy a new one of those.

And finally, I borrowed an ethernet cable that allowed me to test our home Internet connection speed. I ran two tests at different times, and both of them indicate a download speed of about 16.7 MB, which according to BT means: "Good News! Your download speed is close to your connection speed." (Our maximum connection speed is apparently 19.7 MB.)

All I know is, we tried to watch "Downton Abbey" last night and had to give up 1/3 of the way through because the video stream kept stopping. I'm going to call BT today and see if we can get a new router or an additional one to boost our signal.

Aren't our tech woes fascinating?!

My jet lag, meanwhile, has not improved. I was up until 2 a.m. again, meaning two consecutive nights of about four hours' sleep. This has gotta stop.

While lying awake, though, I found a blog by John Weir, a writer I've long admired. I read several of his pieces and enjoyed them. He doesn't seem to post very frequently, which is a shame.

(Photo: Street art by Thierry Noir near Tottenham Court Road.)

9 comments:

alphabet soup said...

Better you than me, sorting out all that techy computer stuff. I like a simple life.

Ms Soup

Unknown said...

Alas, the only solution to slow fibreoptic broadband speeds is to pay through the nose for Virgin Media, with their separate super-fast cabling. (about 50mb for us in South London) BTW I don't work for them!
Thank you for the pictures and blog posts over 2015 - looing forward to 2016's contributions. You make me realise how much one takes for granted in one's own city.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Sounds as if you have made a new year resolution to get on top of technology. Try sitting on the fridge!

Joanne said...

Computers are amazing when they work well and make my life miserable when they don't... Love the photo today. I am having insomnia myself so am watching House on Netflix...

37paddington said...

My son did a lot of troubleshooting on our slow internet connection and was able to greatly boost our tech situation through talking with the cable provider AND getting an additional modem (router?) to boost and extend the signal. Sometime, he learned, the problem can be the configuration of your home and where the router is placed. Complicated stuff but with your methodical approach you'll conquer it!

Ms. Moon said...

A new router helped us tremendously. Surprisingly, we have excellent internet in Lloyd. How weird is that?
Ooh- just touched on that blog for a moment. Thanks for the recommendation.

e said...

I'm glad you got most of that sorted. My internet connection continues to be somewhat problematic.

Sharon said...

You are making progress, good for you. I really do hate tech woes and car troubles. I feel so helpless with both of those. I followed the link to Weir's site and wow, what a powerful piece of writing. While reading I was having flashbacks to a book I've read twice called "The Three Junes" by Julia Glass. That was one of the best books I've ever read.

jenny_o said...

You sound like you know what you're doing with the computer problems. Hope you get over the final hurdle and on to the enjoyment part.

I read the first essay on John Weir's website. Mesmerizing. Thank you for that.