Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Tardy Grilled Cheese


We're staying indoors these days to avoid the heat. I did convince my mom to take a short walk after lunch yesterday, mostly under shady trees or walkway canopies at the senior center where she lives, but that was about all the exercise we could manage. There were three or four panting waterbirds in the pond, and a couple of people buzzing around in golf carts, but otherwise signs of life were few.

We had lunch with some of Mom's pals. There were four other women at our table -- as at many senior centers, women seem to outnumber men -- and one of them ordered a grilled-cheese sandwich from the cafeteria kitchen. (Apparently it takes special preparation.) Well, the sandwich was slow in coming, and it became the sole topic of conversation. I swear, those women talked about that sandwich for half an hour.

I never learned their names, because Mom wasn't sure about them. I suppose I should have introduced myself, but as long as they know I'm her visiting son -- and not a home invader or a gigolo -- that's the important thing.

In the afternoon Mom and I were reduced to watching "Leave it to Beaver," which I don't think I've seen in about 35 years. Last night after dinner I tried to be more hip and watch "Fantastic Beasts" with my nieces, but I was so tired I only made it about two-thirds of the way through the movie. I became the stereotypical middle-aged uncle, nodding off on the couch, loosely clinging to his glass of wine. (Well, actually, I'd finished the wine by that time.) I totally get why parents turn on the TV, though -- the kids quiet right down.

Queens continues to express her affection for me with puppy love bites. Fortunately she mostly nibbles me, though -- not any other family member. I think when I leave she'll be back to her better-trained self.

(Photo: Docks on Julington Creek.)

9 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I am sure that Queens detects the faint odour of Olga upon you. How often do you wash your clothes Steve? Perhaps try a different detergent?

ellen abbott said...

now that we don't have cable TV we're reduced to old westerns and Star Trek in all it's permutations.

Sharon said...

I can relate to your avoidance of the heat. When I got home last night around 9:30, just the walk from the car to my apartment was like walking inside an oven. It's the time of year for mall-walking here in the desert.

Anonymous said...

Your description of dining with you mom and her friends reminds me so much of all the meals I had at the assisted living facility with my mom, even the long wait for the very special grilled cheese sandwich. We're going to be heading south soon to see my mom in the heatwave that is southern California. Enjoy your visit, and stay cool!

The Bug said...

Gigolo - snicker :)

jenny_o said...

I've been through conversations like that in the nursing home, too!! My dad was always up on the current news because he listened to the radio and TV a lot, but there were those whose worlds were much smaller. A late grilled cheese would be fodder for days :)

Red said...

Senior citizen residences have their own routine and it's rigid.

e said...

Well, considering the state of our country and all that is going on, chatting about the lack of a grilled cheese sandwich is safe, if not interesting, though I will concede that it is a long way from the lunches I would sometimes have with your mother at school back in the day.

Elle Clancy said...

This grilled cheese story reminds me of visiting my mom and dad: every single time we drive through Clearwater (they live in Palm Harbor) they have an animated discussion about all the Scientology people roaming the streets there...