Thursday, April 26, 2018

Plugged In, Part 2


Remember that artwork I posted a few weeks ago, the stencil of the electrical sockets on a dirty wall? Well, I found a cleaner version that shows the full piece, with the wires running from one plug to another. So this is what it's really meant to look like. Circle of life? Futility of purpose? I have no idea.


Our camassia lilies, which are new in our garden this year, are blooming. They're native to North America, so they make us feel right at home! Dave bought some camassia bulbs for one of his coworkers as a housewarming gift a couple of years ago, and when we saw them in her garden we decided to get some of our own. They got nibbled when they first came up, but whatever ate them didn't persist so they grew just fine. The biggest risk seems to be the dog breaking off the flower stalks.


And here's our latest gardening dilemma. It's an inula that sprouted between some paving stones on our patio, of all places. Inulas get very large -- at least as tall as I am, which is six feet or so -- so we've been debating whether to move it (which would entail pulling up the pavers on the patio), kill it or let it alone to do its thing. It's an excellent example of the right plant in the wrong place. Dismantling the patio seems extreme but if the inula survives there I think it will do its own damage, so...

...stay tuned on that one.

10 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I cannot wait to read the next instalment of the tense horticultural drama - "The Inula Dilemma".

Ms. Moon said...

I sort of love that sidewalk graffiti. I suppose one can interpret it as one will. The little camassia lilies are so pretty. I don't recall ever seeing any.

Red said...

I would be asking questions about the artwork. It's not the ordinary piece you would find on a wall.

Sharon said...

That camassia is beautiful. It will look fantastic in your garden.

Linda Sue said...

The electrical sockets look like the old sci=fi notion of brain exchange. Remember those terrifying movies? Likely, though , this does represent futility and illusion. Your garden is such a joy! So lucky to have that much space ! Well done, you two! ( I would include Olga, and she does add to the idyllic photos, but she is not keen on work, is she?)

TJ Davis said...

Plugged in part 2 is this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bhatLA3gn8 I recall the day I first saw it demonstrated, I was convinced it was the basis for electromagnetic levitation. Sadly it does not work in a vacuum. Them UFO aliens got something else figured out, darn it.
:)

jenny_o said...

I like the artwork as a simple humourous drawing! It's the kind of thing I would doodle without any background story, just for fun.

If it were my choice about the inula, I'd base my decision on how expensive it would be to buy a replacement. If you decide to move the pavers, mind your back, Steve :)

37paddington said...

What does it entail to move the pavers? My simple city mind imagines just lifting them up and then setting them back down! A six foot tall plant seems exhilarating somehow. For that reason alone, I vote for its survival, whatever that means.

Catalyst said...

"Round-Up"

The Bug said...

LOL at Bruce --- I'm pretty sure round--up isn't on the menu a your house! I vote for moving it to a more suitable location.