Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Creamsicle Rose and the Tornado


I deadheaded our roses on Monday. Most of the blossoms I cut were withered or collapsing, or even just a bare rose hip, but this one still had a little life in it so I put it on the windowsill for a day or two. It's one of just two flowers that came on one of our more particular rose plants. Doesn't it look like a Creamsicle?

It's funny that in yesterday's post I was complaining about being so busy at work -- because yesterday then turned out to be dead. The seniors have graduated, the high school underclassmen are mostly done, and many of the middle schoolers were away on day trips. My prayers were answered! I got a quiet day to just chill at my desk, re-shelve books and get organized.

Today is just a half-day, in the morning. The high school and middle school staffs then go off to their end-of-the-year parties and since I don't technically work for either, I'm going to come home. (We have an all-school luncheon on Friday, and I'll be at that.)

Remember the tornado? Well, that situation is finally resolved. It's taken awhile because for all the challenged books -- there were eight of them -- we had to convene review panels, read the books, have meetings to come up with recommendations and submit those to the head of school. She then sought legal and professional advice and made a final determination, and on Monday we finally got an answer on the fate of the books. Seven of the eight go back to the shelves, with access essentially unchanged. One will remain in the library catalog but for now will be housed in the high-school counselor's office, rather than on library shelves. If a student of suitable age wants it, either the librarian can retrieve it or the student can go get it themselves.

It's not a perfect solution. But it's not terrible. At least we're keeping everything.

The school has never publicly named the titles, so I don't want to do so either, but they include commonly challenged books you've read about in the states, with many mentioned in the original article about the whole kerfuffle. As I've said before, I cannot vouch for the assertions made in that article. (This issue, incidentally -- removing books from school libraries -- doesn't seem to ignite parents in the UK to the same degree as those in the US, which is interesting. As I've probably said before, it's my perception that religion motivates conservative politics in the states more than it does here.)


Here's Olga, patiently waiting to be let inside after one of our walks. I'm posting this picture to show you the blooming valerian along our front steps. It got a bit trampled by the workers who were here rebuilding the bathroom -- I suppose they couldn't very well worry about flowers when they were lugging bathtubs up and down the steps. But valerian is tough and the flowers persisted.


And here's a bonus shot of Olga with our volunteer snapdragon!

Did you hear about Treat Williams dying in a motorcycle crash? Such a shame. I loved him in "Hair," which was one of my favorite movies when I was infatuated with hippie culture as a teenager, and I saw him on Broadway in "Follies" when I lived in New York. I found it poignant that he tweeted about the wonderful smell of freshly-mowed grass on the same day he died. Gather ye rosebuds!

22 comments:

sparklingmerlot said...

That is a lovely rose.
Complain and your voice must be heard. Glad you had a quiet day.
Olga looks very pleased with herself. I'd love to know what goes on in their little heads.

Moving with Mitchell said...

A wonderful post. Creamsicle Rose and Bloomin' Valerian sound somewhat like drag names. The photos are great... especially Olga. I hadn't read the news about Treat Williams.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"Religion motivates conservative politics in the states more than it does here." That's very true. We have a non-practising Hindu as PM and if Keir Starmer came out and said he was an atheist like me, it would not matter. In contrast, even Trump had to pretend he was a proper Christian. I have no idea what a Creamsicle is.

Michael said...

I am glad that the tornado issue has been (hopefully) put to rest. I just was reading the local news and a school district north of me just banned a whole bunch of books. I think it would be really difficult to be a librarian given what is going on now. Enjoy your summer!

Bob said...

That rose, for me, is the color of summer.
Glad you got BookGate sorted and that the books are still available.
Sad about Treat Williams, but if one of his last thoughts was the joy of a freshly mowed lawn--one of my favorite smells, by the way--it sounds like he les a charmed life.

Marcia LaRue said...

Sadly, the news has been clogged up with all of the Thing 45 arraignment stuff! Never heard even a little blurb about Treat Williams.
That Creamsicle rose is yummy looking!

Ellen D. said...

Nice photos of Olga with the flowers.
Glad you get to keep the books at your library. I'm wondering if more students will read them now as the books were given more attention! :)

Ms. Moon said...

That rose looks like a sunset to me.
I'm glad you got a day that was quiet enough to allow you to get done what you needed to.
What a waste of time and energy that book banning challenge was. Or whatever you call it. I guess that over and over and over we are being reminded that the pen is mightier than the sword and some people are incredibly afraid of it.
Or just want attention.

Ed said...

I think politics is very regional. In my trips down south, religion does play a huge role in politics. Up here where I live, religion plays very little part in conservative politics. Up here, conservatism stems from being brought up in a poor and very rural area. People just learn to be conservative in just about every aspect of going through life because they couldn't rely on getting help elsewhere. Nearly all my conservative (politically) friends, talk about how they grew up with nothing and did alright so why should they be forced to pay for someone else who didn't work at all. (My sticking point is that due to their economic status, they usually pay nothing in taxes so aren't paying for anyone else but it generally falls on deaf ears.)

ellen abbott said...

I'm glad cooler heads prevailed at your school and kept all the books. the religious nuts are out of control here trying to force their opinions on everyone else. seems I read something recently that Biden signing something about if libraries remove books they will lose federal funding but I can't find anything about it now.

did the contractor ever come back and repair the wall in the hall?

Suzanne Connelly said...

Proud that I guessed the "one" right, and religion plus typically just one complaining parent are to blame.

The Bug said...

Gorgeous rose! I'm glad you had some time to get organized - I've been doing that this week & it's so calming.

I'm also glad that the tornado is resolved & that most of the books are staying. It would be nice if we could figure out our Christian Nationalist infestation...

Red said...

I've enjoyed your description of end of school year. It brought back many memories.

Sharon said...

I did hear the news about Treat Williams. What a shame but it's nice to know he was enjoying the day. I haven't had a creamsicle in a very, very long time. I loved them as a kid.
Glad the book issue has been resolved. As I'm writing this, I'm hearing on the news that Illinois just passed a law banning the banning of books. There you go!

Kelly said...

Good to know your situation has been put to rest and nothing got banned from the library.

Of course I love photos of Olga, but I LOVE that rose!!

NewRobin13 said...

I love that rose. It reminds me of some of our roses growing here. I hadn't thought about creamsicles in such a long time. I had to google it to see what it looked like.
I'm glad things worked out well at the library. Oy, such craziness these days.
Olga looks so happy. I love seeing her.

Allison said...

I saw the Treat Williams post about the smell of grass, and thought to myself, not if you have seasonal allergies. The smell is nice, but not the aftermath. Then I learned he was dead. It's a loss, he was a good actor.
That's a beautiful rose.

Margaret said...

There is so much craziness going on here, stemming in large part from evangelical conservative Christians wanting to dictate what everyone else does/reads/THINKS. I'm disgusted with it. I was sad about Treat Williams.

Rachel Phillips said...

We occasionally get some kerfuffle about books in Muslim schools and some non-religious schools locally in deeply rural areas near me have been making a fuss about gender issue books; I am not sure what they are called but it was pointed out by some parents that they thought children in primary school were too young to be reading about gender changes.

Jeanie said...

I was so sad about Treat Williams. He was quite talented -- I read about the mowing quote. I'm so relieved that they settled the book situation with good results, all things considered. Well done. The rose is lovely and Olga's looking good!

Thanks for mentioning the odd gosling in your comment. I'll address it in (hopefully) the next post -- but he was OK. I wondered too, till I moved closer to them. Then they all got up and scurried off the sidewalk and down the hill to the pond. He was doing fine. But others might have wondered too -- so I'll be sure to mention it.

Debby said...

I haven't ever seen a rose that color before. It's gorgeous. I saw a thing that Treat Williams had died, but to be perfectly honest, I thought it was one of those 'clickbait' articles designed to lure you in.

Steve Reed said...

Caro: Believe me, so would I! I think it's mostly "FOOD-WALK-FOOD-WALK-SLEEP-SLEEP-SLEEP" (or some variation on that).

Mitchell: Those ARE good drag names. Especially Creamsicle Rose. LOL

YP: And Trump pretending to be a Christian is the most absurd thing of all. But his followers will believe anything he says.

Michael: Fortunately there's starting to be some organized pushback, as we're seeing in Illinois, where they're apparently advancing a law to stop book bans.

Bob: It really did show how the little things in life matter.

Marcia: Isn't it?! It makes me hungry!

Ellen D: Well, the school never publicized which books were being challenged, which avoids that situation. Of course if the kids read the Daily Mail article that would give them some idea.

Ms Moon: It was SUCH a ridiculous waste of time and resources. As it is in school districts all over the country, where it's consuming our tax dollars!

Ed: It's true that my experience of conservatism was cultivated in the South, so that's the variety I know best. (And the one that seems to be getting stronger in national politics.)

Ellen: Not yet! But it hasn't quite been a month, and we're waiting a month for things to dry out.

Suzanne: Yes, and it's a FANTASTIC book, isn't it? So eye-opening, at least for me.

Bug: I think these people have always been out there, but now they can communicate and thus feel empowered and even MORE extreme.

Red: I bet it did! You've lived through this period many times!

Sharon: I haven't had a Creamsicle in years either. I wouldn't even know where to get one now. Do they still make them?! Yes, I heard about that Illinois law. Three cheers for pushing back!

Kelly: It didn't last long on the windowsill but it was nice for a while.

Robin: I tried to link to a web site about them but I couldn't find one. Apparently there's a cocktail called a Creamsicle that has taken over for the ice cream bar!

Allison: He was a good actor. Apparently he basically quit acting for a while, after some commercial disappointments (like "Hair") in the '70s, but was lured back and thank goodness.

Margaret: I'm always mystified by why they think it's OK to tell me what I can and can't read, but I think they feel commanded by God to push back against what they see as evil in society.

Rachel: I think it depends on the book. A book written for primary-age children that touches on gender issues seems acceptable. After all, kids anywhere may have transgender classmates and they need to know what's going on!

Jeanie: Oh, good! I'm glad you checked out the gosling and can report back to anyone who may be wondering.

Debby: "Is it clickbait, or is it reality?" The daily hurdle we all have to jump while online!