Monday, June 19, 2023

Rain, Roses and a Florida Flashback


We did get some rain yesterday evening, thank goodness. It wasn't much, but it was slow and steady over a period of hours, and when I look outside this morning I see everything is pleasantly damp. The world seems refreshed. There's a better than 50-50 chance for more tomorrow and Thursday. Bring it on!


Before the rain came, I took Olga up to the cemetery for a leisurely walk. Here she is in front of the rose garden, which is at its peak at this time of year. There was lots of ball-chasing and grass-rolling.

Otherwise, I read. I finished David Baddiel's short book "Jews Don't Count," about modern antisemitism. He argues that while society is highly attuned to racism against people of color, and hatred toward LGBTQ people, it has become numb toward subtle (and even not-so-subtle) antisemitism. This is partly because there's an inherently antisemitic perception that Jews are no longer a disadvantaged group -- that they are, in fact, wealthy and privileged and even "in control." But he goes on to challenge this thinking and illustrate the many ways antisemitism still flourishes, largely by recounting exchanges from Twitter, the dark underbelly of human thought and expression. It's an interesting book and food for thought.

I also started "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison, which I've never read before. It consistently lands on lists of challenged books (and indeed was one of the books recently challenged in our own library) so I've been eager to see why there's such a fuss. I'm only 45 pages in, but so far it has only reaffirmed my opinion that Morrison was an amazing writer.


I forgot to mention that my most recent old-Florida postcard came a few weeks ago, bearing a big number 6 and a cropped version of this photo. It's from June 1968, depicting two FSU students tubing at Wakulla Springs. The caption reads: "WHAT A PASS FOR A QUARTERBACK - Calling the play for the afternoon Steve Maresco does the 'tea honors' for Cookie Cook while drifting down the stream. Home was never like this... on a Sunday afternoon."

I'm not even sure what that means -- home games, I guess? Whatever. The photographer was Dan Stainer, from the collection of the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper. This isn't a scan of the postcard -- instead I pulled the photo off the web site of the Florida State Archives. (It's in the public domain.)


Here's an alternate version of the same shot. I like this one better, don't you? I wonder where Steve Maresco and Cookie Cook are these days?

18 comments:

Beth's Patio Chit Chat said...

I love the postcards and I like both of the shots. I wonder where that couple is at today as well. Funny the thoughts that we wonder about of people in bygone ages. It would be awesome if they would accidently stumble across your blog one day and wonder Where is Steve Reed these days?

Olga looks relaxed and happy and the roses are gorgeous. I love the fact that rain does make everything refresfing.
No rain for us sadly. With the humidity right now we are in triple digit heat index. 110-120. It is just way too hot.
On the up side No Volleyball Games. Even the tough kids are giving way to a cooler climate. Probably inside playing video games which I cannot blame them in the least.

Have a great week with more rain I hope!

sparklingmerlot said...

I love summer rain as long as it doesn't push the humidity too high.
Still no wiser to the sender of the postcards?
Keep giving us reading recommendations - I have read some really good books thanks to you although reading is a luxury of time I don't have right now!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Looking at the last picture, I would say that they passed through a massive alligator's digestive system many years ago when the world was black and white. He would have been lurking in the shallows waiting for a tasty snack to drift by.

Andrew said...

The second photo does show the fuller picture but I like the first.
I've heard of The Bluest Eye and a little about it. Reading it would only reinforce what I already know.

Bob said...

We have quite a rain shower yesterday and now everything is vibrant and colorful and beautiful.

Boud said...

Nothing like a lovely summer rain. Great fox gloves.

Ms. Moon said...

Well you know I love those pictures- the Wakulla River is a gem but I'm sort of with Mr. P. I KNOW how many alligators are in those waters. I assume that Steve and Cookie survived nicely. Perhaps they eventually married and honeymooned in the lodge at the springs. Wouldn't that be nice? I think the referral to a Sunday Afternoon may have come from the Rascals' song "Groovin'". That was a big hit in 1967 which jives perfectly with Cookie's hairstyle. I had the same cut that year. Looks better on her than it did on me.
Hurray for rain!

The Bug said...

I'm obsessed with Cookie's hair. I keep trying to do that with my hair but I look like a 12 year old boy when I do.

Colette said...

I also worry about alligators.

ellen abbott said...

that is a pretty rose garden. and I'm glad you got some rain and I wish we would.

Ellen D. said...

I wonder if that photo was used for a Coke commercial!? "Olga and the roses" is such a lovely photo! You could print a postcard of it to send to your brother!

Red said...

I will check out Toni Morrison's book.

Sharon said...

That photo of the foxglove dripping with rain water is gorgeous.
I have not read that book by Toni Morrison. Give us your review when you are done.
Great post card. It looks like an ad for Coca-cola.

NewRobin13 said...

I read The Bluest Eyes so many, many years ago. I don't even remember what it was about, but I remember it made me want to read more of Toni Morrison's work.
The rise of anti-semitism scares me so much. I know you know that I lost family members in the holocaust. To think that this hatred goes on and on just reinforces my belief that humans are crazy and the invention of religion just reinforces the craziness.
Love these photos.

Kelly said...

"Twitter, the dark underbelly of human thought and expression" How true that is!!

I love that first photo with the water droplets on the flowers. Gorgeous!

Catalyst said...

Well I prefer the first picture but I can't imagine a couple of young college kids out on the river drinking Coke! Unless there was a bottle of Jack hidden from view. ;^/

Margaret said...

I enjoy mysteries like the postcards and am intrigued. I hope we/you eventually find out what's going on. You are reading/have read some thought-provoking books. I'm still enjoying "Horse" and can't wait to discuss it at Book Club.

Steve Reed said...

Beth: Well, since I mentioned their names, maybe they'll Google up my blog one day! That is WAY too hot.

Caro: I have no clue about the postcards except that they come from Jacksonville, which is where my brother and his family live. I'm sure someone there is responsible!

YP: Well, she IS named Cookie.

Andrew: I know the bare outline of the plot but that's not like enjoying the author's writing!

Bob: It's amazing what a difference a little water makes!

Boud: Aren't they great? I love the color. This is the one I bought at Homebase recently.

Ms Moon: Oh, yeah, I remember that song. Good theory! I guess Steve must have been the FSU quarterback?

Bug: I like her 'do, too. Short hair is the way to go in my book! (Or no hair, in my case.)

Colette: I'm sure there were gators around but they generally steer clear of people. We only hear about the rare cases when they don't, which is why everyone's scared of them.

Ellen: It's such a great feeling to have rain after a long dry spell. It's like being able to breathe again.

Ellen D: I should start sending my brother London postcards, you're right!

Red: It's well worth it!

Sharon: It does! I imagine it was what we newspaper people call "wild art" -- a photo that stands alone on the page.

Robin: As you know, I read some right-wing news sites to learn more about what those scary people are thinking. They are FULL of antisemitism. (And racism.)

Kelly: I think Twitter really has enabled all of our worst impulses, from speaking without thinking to firing off insults and being rude. After all, you don't get re-tweeted if you're polite and reasonable.

Catalyst: Ha! Well, who knows what's in that tube?

Margaret: I think reading is best when it's a little bit challenging, but not ridiculously so. (Not Chaucer, for example!)