Thursday, June 22, 2023

First Dahlia, and a Horror Show


Here's the first dahlia of the season, opening on a plant that's never bloomed before. It was a seedling that sprouted of its own accord in another pot -- how a dahlia seed got into that pot, I have no idea -- and I transplanted it into its own pot last year. It's one of the "Bishop's Children" variety. I have six of those, all budding now. Dahlia-o-rama!


Here's something else that has bloomed -- our passionflower vine. It also grew from seed, in a pot holding our olive tree. I have no idea how I could ever separate those plants. I imagine their roots are so intertwined they're like conjoined twins.


And then there's this horror show. Those are the caterpillars of the Solomon's seal sawfly, and they are positively devouring our Solomon's seal. In past years I've removed them by hand and killed them, on the theory that doing so might break their life cycle. But it never works out that way -- we always have them the following year no matter what -- and according to the RHS:
Whilst the defoliation caused by Solomon's seal sawfly can appear severe it normally occurs after flowering and the plants will usually put on healthy growth in the following year. Therefore this insect can be tolerated and the plants will survive.
So this year, I'm letting them do their thing. They can eat and reproduce to their hearts' content. Or they could if they had hearts, that is.


Finally, it occurred to me that when I shared those old photos from Covent Garden yesterday, I forgot to include the picture of Trafalgar Square I mentioned. So here it is. It's a beautiful shot, isn't it? And a beautiful print. I have it propped up on a table now but I intend to put it in a frame. What do you think -- late '60s, early '70s? Maybe mid-'70s? Maybe even early '80s? Hard to say.


The only real hint on the time period is the bus behind this guy. I've tried Googling the name (Dunnsman? Dunnsman's?) on that advertisement and come up with nothing. If any of you recognize the brand or have any other ideas, let me know. And in case you're interested, here is the entire collection of old pics I bought at Covent Garden.

It's Dave's birthday today. I have a celebration dinner planned for tomorrow (I couldn't get a reservation tonight) and the next night we have a dinner party, so today we'll be keeping things low-key!

22 comments:

Frances said...

Happy Birthday Dave, enjoy your dinner tomorrow.

Sabine said...

Happy birthday to Dave, you will have a lovely dinner date, no doubt.

I think the pictures is late 70s early 80s because the low children's stroller/pram is what became popular at the time. Before that they were higher up and much larger or made from wicker etc. I could be wrong, maybe in the UK it was different. But my guess.
Also, the flat strap sandals became popular when people started to travel further afield. I got my first pair in Greece in the late 1970s.

sparklingmerlot said...

Happy Birthday Dave.

I think it is more likely late 60s early 70s as some of the older women are quite dated with hats and longer hems.

I don't care if those disgusting white creatures do little harm - I would be getting the flame thrower out!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

All of the women in the scene appear to be wearing dresses. That must be a clue. Furthermore, the relatively long hair of the thin young man speaks of changing times. I would guess that the picture was snapped between 1968 and 1972.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Happy birthday to Dave! That’s a great photo. I’m guessing late 60s early 70s. Maybe the ad on the side of the bus could help.

Andrew said...

Early seventies is my opinion. The man looks quite fashionable. I think he might be a celeb of some kind. The close up is quite a good photo. Ah, it is a crop from the larger photo. I am enjoying these old photos.

Boud said...

Happy birthday Dave! Who's cooking the dinner party, since he's the cook of the family but it's his birthday?
I think the picture is late sixties early seventies -- Beatles haircut, mod boots, skimpy sweater, scowl, all fashionable for young men at the time!

Bob said...

I don't think I could just leave those bugs on the plants, no matter who said it's okay. it kinda grosses me out.

Sharon said...

My first trip to London was in 1985 and this looks very much like the way things looked. But I'm guessing it's closer to late 70's. Just a guess.
Great blooms but I hate seeing those bugs.

Fresca said...

Cool photo of Trafalgar Sq—I love vintage photos . We get them donated to the thrift store where I work—I should post more of the best of those.

Well, you inspired me to look up caterpillar hearts—curious! Heart pumps circulate “hemolymph” through a tube…
But I really wondered why the bugs know to eat only that one plant, and I thought this was interesting (I assume you know):
“Caterpillars have a specific sense to test the odor and taste of plants. Should one sample a leaf not included in its inherited diet, it spits it out. A larva depending upon cabbage leaves isn’t going to eat rose bushes.”
Clever bugs!
They look horrible,
but honestly, so do naked human babies…

Fresca said...

PS Happy birthday to Dave! I’m sure he was a beautiful baby!

Rachel Phillips said...

No flares (trousers)and womens clothes lengths quite short suggest mid to late 1960s England.

Ms. Moon said...

Perhaps a bird inadvertently planted that dahlia.
Your passion flower vine is gorgeous and other-worldly as passion flowers are.
The white worms (I know- they're caterpillars) are scary. Glad to hear that they don't really harm the plant that much. Part of their ecosystem, I guess.
I would say that the shot of Trafalgar Square is from the later sixties but maybe not. Guys weren't regularly wearing their hair that long until well after the Beatles shocked the world with their longer locks.
What great photos you got! I really enjoyed looking at them via your link.
Happy birthday, Dave!

Red said...

Those fat little caterpillars can eat a lot in a short time so your plants can be harmed very quickly.

The Bug said...

That is a very cool photo! It looks like it could be a scene from The Birds or some such - ha!

And I love the passionflower!

Colette said...

I'd say late 1960s.

The Padre said...

Happy Happy Mr Dave - Everything Cool Happened In 1971 - Olga Girl Needs A Just Because Treat - Yahoooo00000

Cheers

Margaret said...

Those caterpillars are horrible! Ugh. Love the photo but am no help on the name. Hope Dave has a happy birthday and wonderful dinner out!

Allison said...

I love your last batch of photos, especially the short pants on the kid next to the cactus. The caterpillars are pretty ugly, they look like giant maggots.

Kelly said...

I'm guessing early 70s. The sequel to your horror show has been playing here. Tomato hornworms. 😱😱😱

Happy Birthday, Dave!!

Ellen D. said...

Happy Birthday, Dave!
I think a lot of women are wearing dresses so late 60s, maybe.

Steve Reed said...

Frances: Dave says thank you! :)

Sabine: Interesting. I noticed the prams too but I couldn't use them to date the pic. I just don't know enough about prams!

Caro: I'm leaning toward late 60s, early 70s too. A flamethrower would surely be overkill!

YP: I agree -- that's exactly the time period I was thinking.

Mitchell: I wish someone could tell me what that ad is for!

Andrew: If he's a celeb, I don't recognize him. More likely he's just some dude who's taking his fashion cues from celebs of the day.

Boud: Well, the dinner party is separate from the birthday -- it's for our colleagues' retirement. So Dave is cooking!

Bob: It's funny how we have a visceral reaction to such creatures.

Sharon: Yeah, based on the women's clothing I'm thinking definitely '70s. I don't see any '80s power suits!

Fresca: Well thanks for looking that up! I didn't know the mechanism by which caterpillars know what plants to eat, but I know they're very specific. In fact apparently, if these larvae eat all the Solomon's seal before they mature, they die. They don't move on to any other plant.

Rachel: Could be mid-'60s, I suppose. That guy looks like a Herman's Hermit!

Ms Moon: Yeah, I think it's interesting how nature strikes a balance. The bugs eat the plant but don't kill it. Glad you liked the photos!

Red: I'm astonished at how quickly and thoroughly they can eat those plants! (Which are NOT small.)

Bug: Apparently Trafalgar Square used to look like a scene from The Birds -- it was overrun with pigeons. I think they're controlled somehow these days.

Colette: A good (and likely) guess!

Padre: Olga has been treated, don't worry! Personally, I think everything cool happened in 1966. :)

Margaret: Aren't they gross? I wish the birds would eat them but they don't seem very interested.

Allison: Ha! They DO look like maggots. I wonder if those shorts are actually a bathing suit?

Kelly: Ugh! You HAVE to control those, I bet. It's different when it's a food crop!

Ellen D: Yeah, it looks like most of the women are in dresses and many of the men have jackets.