Monday, June 12, 2023

Christopher


Here's my friend Christopher, in a picture I took at the end of 2005 at EJ's Luncheonette on the Upper East Side. According to my journal at the time:
Christopher and I went to the Metropolitan Museum yesterday to see their Prague exhibit. Christopher has no attention span, so we breezed through it a little more quickly than I would have liked, but it was interesting. Then we tried to go to the Skyline Diner for lunch and it was CLOSED!!! The place was gutted. I was amazed at my prescient abilities, considering I'd photographed it just months before. So depressing...we wound up going to EJ's Luncheonette, where we sat at the bar. Lots of cute 20-somethings there for brunch. I definitely had a wandering eye! Christopher kept trying to pick out a potential boyfriend for me.
This was sort of a typical day out with Christopher. He grew up in suburban New Jersey but he was a city boy, and although when I knew him he often preferred to stay close to home, he embraced the urban lifestyle. He got everything delivered. He was a New Yorker through and through, at least until he moved to LA. And then he embraced California like the long-lost home he never knew he missed.


Here is on the beach in Santa Monica, with something called the "Santa Monica Art Tool," which looks like maybe it leaves a map of the city when rolled across damp sand.

But back to New York: I first met Christopher in December 2000, just six months after I moved there. We met at a singles event at the LGBT Community Center called "Date Bait," where he chatted me up and called me "adorable," which of course got my attention right away. We dated a couple of months, and I remember waking up one cold Saturday morning in his wreck of an apartment on East Fifth Street, with hundreds of magazines piled on the sloping wooden floors and snow coming down outside the windows, and feeling so New York-y, so Bohemian. At that time Christopher ran a perfume company with his former partner, who I met once and who seemed like a rather fierce character. They specialized in quirky fragrances like "beetroot" and "mesquite" and "gin & tonic," and although I never understood why someone would want to smell like a gin & tonic they seemed to do pretty well.

Christopher loved Sondheim and Elizabeth Bishop and Stevie Smith. He was literary -- he urged me to read Cynthia Ozick's novel "The Puttermesser Papers," one of his favorites. It embodied the New York sensibility he so appreciated. He especially liked this passage describing Puttermesser's building:
If you asked the super to send the plumber you would get the exterminator. Without warning the pipes dried up for the day. You could try to run the faucet and nothing would come out. Or the lights would fail; the refrigerator fluttered its grand lung and ceased. All the refrigerators up and down the whole row of apartments on a single corridor expired together, in one extended shudder. You could feel it under your soles right through the carpeting. The building was a nervous organism; its familiar soughings ricocheted from cranny to cranny.
Despite Christopher's sophistication, he sometimes had terrible taste. He bought a pair of appalling Gucci pants at the Barney's sidewalk sale that were a sort of dusky pink with, as I recall, glittery appliques. (I admit my memory may be making them worse than they really were.)

Christopher and I flew to Palm Springs that March 2001, where we stayed at a clothing-optional gay resort called the Citadel (I opted for clothing), and he bought me a great book about mid-century architecture in the desert. But by then we both knew we weren't a couple, and around that time he began dating Gerardo.

I met Gerry when I tagged along with Christopher to the Fifi Awards, which is sort of the Oscar ceremony for the perfume industry. It was at Radio City Music Hall. Susan Lucci was there! (She had her own fragrance and was up for a prize.) Gerardo wore a tux and chunky black glasses -- as someone said, he had a very Havana-in-the-1950s vibe.

Christopher and Gerry at the farmer's market in LA, 2006
Christopher and Gerry at the farmer's market in LA, 2006

A few months later, just before 9/11, Christopher began to experience swelling in his face and neck. It turned out to be Kaposi's sarcoma, which is how Christopher found out he had HIV. (He and I had always been careful.) His immune system, by that time, was essentially demolished. He spent several weeks and months in and out of the hospital and staying with a friend in Brooklyn, and we all thought he was dying. But with treatment and medication he bounced back, the proverbial phoenix.

From my journal, May 2002:
Went to see Christopher on Thursday -- he seemed OK, though he'd had chemo and once again eating seemed like a problem for him. I'll check on him today and see if he's improving. He's had a strange urge to play musicals for me -- it used to be we'd just sit and watch TV, but these last couple of visits he's wanted to play cast albums and explain his appreciation for the music (mainly Sondheim -- "Company" is what we heard Thursday). I don't know whether this is significant or not, whether he's at a stage where he feels he needs to impart something meaningful to others rather than absorbing -- who knows.
All this time, his relationship with Gerry was growing stronger and eventually they moved in together. I visited them often at their fancy apartment down near Ground Zero, where they got a special deal on the rent because the city was trying to encourage people to return to that part of town. We went to see Laurie Anderson perform live at Lincoln Center; we went to lots of movies. And then, in April 2005, Gerry got a job that took them to California. As I wrote at the time:
Christopher leaving NYC? It's like Armageddon!
But, surprise surprise, Christopher loved it. He eventually sold the perfume business and embraced life on the West Coast.


I visited them there three times. At my insistence we visited the Brady Bunch house (above)...


...and Watts Towers...


...and Joshua Tree National Park. And who could forget the Pinkberry Bouncer?

By this time, Christopher and Gerry had adopted Bailey, a Jack Russell terrier that had belonged to Christopher's father.


He loved that dog. And the dog obviously loved him.

In recent years Christopher and I were in touch intermittently as life took me to London. In 2013 I woke up at 2 a.m. to virtually attend (and read poetry at) his 50th birthday party. He had more health problems; he and Gerry got another dog, Miles. As I said yesterday, I fully intended to re-visit California with Dave and see both Gerry and Christopher, and I am heartbroken that that opportunity is no longer possible.

I'll miss you, my friend.

32 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

What a beautiful post. Your journal entries are treasures and the photos warm my heart. Wishing you only sweet memories of your friendship and of being adorable. Such a funny name, “Santa Monica Art Tool.” It's such a tool.

sparklingmerlot said...

What a lovely tribute and thank you for sharing Christopher's story.
The smiles in that last photo speak volumes.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

When I die I hope that someone will write a similarly affectionate memorial account about me - minus the health struggles of course. Farewell Christopher... who was amongst us.

Boud said...

Lovely tribute to a good friend. I'm sorry he's gone too soon. Please pass my condolences to his partner.

gz said...

One of those beautiful friendships that introduce you to hear and see new things you would never have thought of.

Sad you couldn't see him one more time, but you do have good memories

Andrew said...

Aw, I didn't guess the end to this post. Sorry. But what an interesting post about a very interesting person. He made a decent mark on life.

Pixie said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend. I'm sorry he's gone so soon Steve. Sending hugs to you.

Bob said...

Lovely tribute to an amazing friend.

Debby said...

That is a very touching tribute to someone who was neatly woven into the fabric of your own life. My condolences.

Ed said...

A beautiful tribute.

Ms. Moon said...

This is a beautiful post about some beautiful people and their beautiful friendship. Christopher was obviously a very important part of your life and I'm sure you were just as important in his.
I can see that you both took joy in your friendship. And that is the best.

Sabine said...

Thank you for sharing these memories. What an interesting life. My heartfelt condolences Steve.

Ellen D. said...

I am glad you can celebrate all of your joyful times together. Thanks for sharing Christopher with us, Steve.

NewRobin13 said...

A truly loving tribute to such a dear friend of the heart. Your photos capture Chritopher's truly sweet nature. In the Jewish tradition we often say "may his memory be for a blessing." I can see that is already true and always will be.

ellen abbott said...

what a lovely remembrance.

Red said...

I'm sorry for your loss. He covered a lot of territory in his life.

Jeanie said...

What an absolutely beautiful and moving tribute to a friend. I'm so deeply sorry, Steve. The loss of friends, our peer group, is sometimes more challenging than even those of closer relatives. Christopher sounds like a wonderful man and I'm so very glad he was part of you life. (I also love that he had a rough-coat Jack Russell, like my old Jack!). Your memories are treasures. Sending many wishes for peace and healing. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Jeanie said...

PS -- Anyone who loved Sondheim musicals would be a kindred spirit with me. I wonder if he would have liked the new version of "Company." I think so.

Sharon said...

Steve, what beautiful tribute to your friend. You've described him and your friendship so well I feel like I knew him too. He is a part of your life you will always cherish.

Kelly said...

This is a lovely tribute and I appreciate you sharing memories and photos of your friend with us. May he rest in peace. (p.s. love seeing the Brady Bunch house!)

Linda Sue said...

A full life lived well, though with helth problems like getting caught on a nail while passing through yet another passage way- so glad you had such a friend and inspiration. People die dammit. Leaving us behind to remember, regret, cherish and, though unlikely, hope to meet in the great up yonder for more shenanigans or to resolve unfinished business. Your friend looks amazingly shiny and bright. A good time was had by all. so sorry that you could not get back to him in this lifetime. It was a lovely friendship.
Thanks for writing about it here, makes me think to contact friends from past days, just for good measure and possibly to say goodbye. (Never good at that.)

The Bug said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend. I enjoyed reading about him, and like YP said, hope someone might write something similar about me after I'm gone.

37paddington said...

Dear Steve, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. You've written him a beautiful remembrance. They're so special, those people who saw and contributed to our becoming who we are. He was clearly one of those people for you, a holder of your personal history. I can feel your sense that a mooring has come adrift through your beautiful words here. Thank you for sharing Christopher with us.

Tasker Dunham said...

Thank you for this post which is a joy to read despite being a farewell to Christopher. It is like a tale by Armistead Maupin.

Jim Davis said...

What a wonderful tribute to your friend, it is clear that he was someone you cared a great deal about.So sorry for your loss.

Margaret said...

This is a moving tribute to Christopher; you've captured his essence and his spirit. Thinking of you.

Michael said...

I am so sorry Steve. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your friend. You are right, there is never an always. That's why we need to make each day count.

Catalyst said...

So sad. But you have some great memories.

Allison said...

That was such a nice tribute. I'm so sorry he's not in your life anymore.

Rachel Phillips said...

You are a great writer Steve.

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: I'm kind of mystified by that art tool, to be honest!

Caro: I love that picture. Definitely the best one of the both of us.

YP: I wonder what Christopher would think of it. I've tried to respect his privacy while revealing enough to make it and honest and full account.

Boud: I will!

GZ: Absolutely. He expanded my world, and I hope I expanded his.

Andrew: He did indeed. He touched a lot of people.

Pixie: It was such a surprise, though it shouldn't have been.

Bob: Thanks.

Debby: Yes, he and Gerry were definitely woven into my New York life.

Ed: Thank you!

Ms Moon: We did indeed. I guess all meaningful friendships need that element of joy.

Sabine: He really DID have an interesting life. I've only recounted a tiny fraction of it!

Ellen D: Thanks for spending time with him here!

Robin: His memory will always be a blessing to me, for sure.

Ellen: Thanks!

Red: He really did! And as I said above, this is only a tiny fraction of his diverse background!

Jeanie: It's hard to beat Sondheim -- one thing Christopher and I had in common!

Sharon: That is certainly true. I still can't believe he's gone.

Kelly: This was before the Brady Bunch house became an Internet sensation and an HGTV show! Back then some poor person really lived in it.

Linda Sue: I'm not good at it either. I tend to just think people will always be around, and then I'm shocked when they're not.

Bug: I hope Christopher would like it!

37P: Yes, that's exactly true. I feel like he was a critical friendship, someone who gave me experiences and helped make me who I am.

Tasker: Well THAT's high praise! But perhaps it's similar in that Maupin always says we choose our families -- and Christopher feels like chosen family to me.

Jim: Thanks. :)

Margaret: Thank you! I hope so.

Michael: We really do -- and we need to make contact with people who mean something to us.

Catalyst: Undoubtedly. I hope I haven't made him sound too highbrow. He could also be tremendously lowbrow at times!

Allison: Thank you. I'm sorry too.

Rachel: I wrote this whole post in about an hour and a half, before work. In this case, I had good material. :)

Beth's Patio Chit Chat said...

Steve,
I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend. Your pictures and post are a wonderful way of remembering your friend.
Once again I am sorry for your loss. XOXO Love, Light and Hugs to you.