Sunday, July 9, 2023

Funky Sheets, an Old Jar and Hogweed


It's raining this morning, and I have the back door open so I can listen to the quiet patter. What a wonderful sound! Obviously, as a gardener, I find rain very comforting, but I think it goes deeper than that -- as animals we innately know that rain means life. Every living thing with ears and a modicum of brainpower finds the sound of rain reassuring, I suspect.

We had rain yesterday too, so the garden is happy.

The avocado is putting out new clumps of leaves (above). I love the reddish tinge they develop in the sunlight. I don't think the avocado has ever looked so happy, even though we haven't repotted it in years -- we're basically creating an overgrown bonsai, keeping its growth restricted in a pot and trimming it as needed. Yes, that's a shadow of a fly sitting atop one of the leaves.

I put "clean" sheets on the bed on Friday, and I was not at all happy with the way they smelled. I'd taken them to the neighborhood laundry, and they came back with a distinct funk. Not dirty -- just not fresh. They smelled like someone forgot to put soap in the machine.

Keep in mind that Olga sleeps in our bed, so I'm used to earthy smells. This was still funkier.

So yesterday morning I pulled the sheets off the bed again and put them through our own washer and dryer. It took half a day -- the dryer cycle is about three and a half hours long -- and I don't want to think about the carbon footprint. If I'd waited for a sunny day I could have dried them outside. But anyway, at least the bed now smells clean.

Maybe I should go back to washing our sheets myself.


I took care of all the indoor plants and did some cleaning, and then in the afternoon -- after the rain stopped -- I took Olga to the cemetery. I saw this little jewel of a beetle on a knapweed blossom. Doesn't it look like something you'd buy at Tiffany? (That photo is not sideways, by the way.)

For weeks I've been walking past a spot in the cemetery path where a bit of the bottom of a glass vessel was poking above the ground. There's a lot of trash in the cemetery so I assumed it was an old discarded bottle, but I wanted to see it whole in case it was interesting enough to keep, and the ground has been so hard I was unable to dig it out. Until yesterday! After our recent rains I was finally able to wrench it free of the earth -- and it turned out to be a completely uninteresting (and not at all antique) jar. Into the trash it went. Mystery solved.


Yesterday a commenter questioned the hogweed in our garden and whether it might in fact be cow parsley. Here's a shot of the leaf, showing that it is definitely hogweed. Cow parsley has a much more feathery leaf, almost like a fern. (Or, in fact, like parsley.) It's a daintier plant overall. Hogweed is sturdier and more robust. Here is a page that discusses the invasive pest giant hogweed and how to tell it apart from common hogweed (like ours) and cow parsley, with photos, if you're interested.

It's a shame giant hogweed is such a problem. It's an amazing plant. I'd grow it in a heartbeat if it weren't an invasive.

To confuse matters even more, some people call hogweed "cow parsnip," especially the North American variety (which is a different species from the European one). And then there are other look-alike plants like hemlock, which also has white umbels of flowers and feathery leaves but is famously toxic. (Just ask Socrates!)

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know about hogweed and cow parsley.

OK, this post is freaking me out. I'm a 56-year-old man who digs old jars out of the ground, sleeps next to a dog and gets obsessed with botanical differentiation. HELP!

26 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Your garden is a wonder.

gz said...

You are perfectly normal!!...whatever that is!
The problem with common hogweed is that is seems to have a propensity to seed itself just where you don't want it!

sparklingmerlot said...

Funky sheets, ew. It suggests they don't regularly clean their washing machines. Again, ew.

Botanical differentiation is a highly useful skill to have. You will be much sought after when the apocalypse comes. Steve Reed - saved the world one plant at a time.

River said...

Does your dryer not have a timer where you can choose the length of drying time? It's possible the laundry needs to clean the filters in the washing machines.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I was surprised to discover that you are a gardener now when your adoring public thought you were a school librarian.I wonder which contrary visitor kicked off about your hogweed plant? You have put him or her firmly in their place! Good job!

Andrew said...

Raining but not cold, I think.
At times as you age you get past the high environmental impact care factor. We still try but we are realistic that what we do personally has little effect. Instead of us consuming power generated by burning wet and polluting brown coal, it is up to our governments we elect to move to sustainable power sources, and we need to carefully check their environmental policies before we go to elections.

Bob said...

I love the rain because every color is so much more vivid after ... and everything smells fresh and clean.
I will say that I'd be watching that bit of glass in the ground and when the day came that it had rained, I'd remove it, too!

Ellen D. said...

Just be yourself, Steve, we like you just the way you are!

Boud said...

I'd vote for home laundering, no knowing what's been in the commercial machine before your laundry. As an aged gardener, I'm very grateful for rain that saves me from watering! My areas are small but it's surprising how much work they can require.

Ms. Moon said...

I woke up to rain this morning. Still raining. And like you, I am so glad for it!
That hogweed isn't an especially pleasing plant to me. In fact, it looks like something poisonous. I have no idea why I'd say that.
Your comment about becoming the man you are becoming reminds me so much of something I'd say. We're at heart old Florida crackers, interested in the dirt and the things that grow in it and can be dug out of it. You sleep with your husband and a dog, I sleep with my husband and a cat. It's not so bad, Steve.

ellen abbott said...

we always launder our sheets though I did take my lightweight quilt/coverlet to the cleaners after the cat threw up on it. pricey though, cost me $27 but it did come back in one of those clear plastic zippered storage bag.

I have a red bud tree in a large pot. someone gave me a little twig of a tree and I had nowhere to plant it in my city house yard so in a pat it went and then a bigger one and a bigger one. you get it. it's at least 15 maybe 20 years old. I think of it as a miniature instead of an overgrown bonsai.

NewRobin13 said...

I vote for washing the sheets at home, especially if you can dry them in the sunlight. That's the best.
I love that you solve mysteries like digging up jars to see if they're interesting enough to be brought home. You're a born archeologist! And you're also a fine and careful gardener.

The Bug said...

Man that is a LONG dryer cycle!! No wonder you take your stuff to a laundry - nobody has time for that! Our sheets need washed too, but definitely not messing with it until our air conditioner gets fixed.

Kelly said...

I would love to have even a fraction of your botanical knowledge. What is it about rain that plants love so much (as opposed to watering)?

Ed said...

I love listening to the rain in a tent or on the metal roof of the covered porch of our cabin. It is just so relaxing.

I've heard the European dryers are horribly slow due to them having condensing pumps on them. It makes me thankful for ours which is much much faster but I'm sure even worse in carbon footprint.

Sharon said...

Oh what I would give for a little rain here. Instead we have heat, intense heat. It is very hard to stay at home when it looks so pleasant outside. But, step outside and you find it's not as pleasant as it looks.
Is there something different about English clothes dryers? I remember trying to dry a small load of mostly underwear on one of my stays in London. It took all day.

Cloudia said...

The sound of rain and clean sheets. How delightful! Aloha

Margaret said...

You are interested in many things and in finding out answers to life's mysteries, even the small ones like about plants. That's a LONG dryer cycle indeed. I love the smell of fresh sheets on the bed and my cat (who is a restless and annoying sleeper) isn't invited. Glad yours got fixed!

Red said...

The list is endless as to what you could be obsessed about. You admit to an obsession. Most other people don't . Such is life.

Marcia LaRue said...

I have often wondered why you would take your laundry to a laundromat to be done! Now I know why! Good grief ... the drying cycles are ridiculous!
You are a librarian, horticulturalist, botanist, archeologist, and even more "ists" that I can't even think of at the moment! And, too, you take beautiful pictures of all you see and then some!!
Well done, Steve Reed!


Debby said...

Seems like, as far as obsessions go, you've picked some fairly innocuous ones.

Catalyst said...

Well . . . what can one say?

Bohemian said...

I recall the Rains of Great Britain, and how Green they made everything. Here we're gonna break a Record again for consecutive Days without Rain since the Monsoons are late this Year... and we are nearing another Record of consecutive days of over 110... so, I rather envy anyplace that right now is pleasant. *LOL* As for funky dry cleaned linens, I'd of taken them back and asked WTF? Fresh clean Sheets should always smell divine, it's one of the most pleasant of Aromas that is distinctive. I even buy Candles with the Scent of "Clean Sheets".

Pixie said...

You could do much worse. You're a kind man who saves plants, books and old photos.

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: Thank you!

GZ: Well, exactly -- what is "normal" anyway? I wouldn't mind if the hogweed seeded itself a bit. Just not TOO much.

Caro: Yeah, ew is right!

River: I think it runs for a default amount of time but shuts off early if it detects the clothes are dry. I'm honestly not 100 percent sure, though -- it's a relatively new machine and the landlord bought it.

YP: I don't mean to put anyone in their place! I thought it was an interesting question. I can be both gardener and librarian, can't I? :)

Andrew: Yes, certainly, in the grand scheme of things, one dryer cycle has little effect. It IS more about policy.

Bob: I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Ellen D: Well, that's a good thing! I like me too, honestly, but sometimes I think, "Wow, I must seem like a real weirdo!"

Boud: Yeah, you may be right about home laundering as the way to go.

Ms Moon: You can take the boy out of Florida, but...

Ellen: Miniature works too! I'm amazed trees can live so long in such tight quarters.

Robin: Archaeologist is a nice way of saying "trash-picker." :)

Bug: It's because our dryer (like many here) is an evaporator that doesn't have an external vent. At least, I think that's why.

Kelly: I just think rain is always more thorough, and it gets everything wet -- roots, foliage, the whole shebang.

Ed: Yes, exactly, they're evaporators/condensors and they don't have external vents.

Sharon: Yeah, they're built differently (see above). Stay inside! :)

Cloudia: Yes! Rain and clean sheets are a good combination -- as long as the sheets aren't hanging IN the rain.

Margaret: How do you keep the cat off the bed? When I was a cat owner I found that to be an impossible task.

Red: I've always had transient obsessions and interests, going all the way back to boyhood. My family used to tease me about them!

Marcia: Actually, MOST laundry I do here at home. I only take the bedsheets to the laundromat because they're so large. But I might stop doing that, given this episode!

Debby: It could be worse, that's for sure!

Catalyst: Not much, I guess? :)

Bohemian: I KNOW! Why should I pay for funky sheets?! In this case I've had them too long to take them back, though.

Pixie: Yeah, as Debby said, my obsessions could be a lot worse, I guess!

Jeanie said...

Funkier than Olga? That's funky. Yes, maybe sheets at home would be a good thing. Especially on a nice day!