Sunday, July 23, 2023

Jane G. Reed, 1937-2023


This has always been my favorite picture of my mother. It was her high school graduation photo, from 1955.

For most of my life, my mom was the person I felt closest to in the world. Our relationship wasn't always easy -- she struggled when I came out as gay and she never understood my more artistic interests -- but nonetheless I see so much of her in myself. Not physically, because in that department I take after my dad's side of the family, but in my relentless practicality, my Protestant thrift and my somewhat snarky sense of humor. Every once in a while I'll make a wry remark and Dave will say, "That's your mother talking!"


Mom was born in Cambridge, Mass., in 1937. My grandfather was there teaching at MIT, and my grandmother was a recent graduate of the New England Conservatory of Music. That's Mom, above, as a girl, with her mother and younger brother.

When she was young the family moved to Hyattsville, Md., after my grandfather took a job with the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C. Perhaps my grandfather's good head for math and science influenced my mom's interest in numbers. If there's any truth to the old right brain vs. left brain dichotomy, Mom was left brain all the way.

Although her parents were conservative socially, they always encouraged her academically and professionally. She was never told there were things she couldn't or shouldn't do as a woman, and she excelled in math and graduated from Goucher College in Baltimore as a math major before getting her master's in mathematics from the University of Maryland.

She worked with early computers at the U.S. Bureau of Standards in the summers during college, a job she loved. She met my father, a fellow math student, in graduate school and they got married in 1962. Soon afterwards, my parents took faculty jobs in the math department at the newly created University of South Florida in Tampa.


I came along in 1966, and my brother in 1970.  My mom continued working during those years, teaching at the university, but the early '70s and the sexual revolution were a tumultuous time for marriages all across the country and my parents divorced in 1974. It was an event that shook my mom to her core. She was furious at my father for years, even though Dad always contributed to our support and remained part of our lives. Through the rest of the '70s and '80s Mom saw pretty much every hardship through the lens of her divorce. She felt betrayed, and even decades later she always did her best to avoid speaking to him.


She and I had a good relationship, but in many ways -- especially when I was a child -- she did not get me. I liked to draw and write and take pictures and daydream and I was never very academically focused. I was perfectly happy making Bs and Cs in school, particularly in math class. She'd try to help me with math homework but it tested her patience. When I was in high school we invariably wound up in screaming matches that we called the "Algebra Wars." She couldn't comprehend why I had such trouble with numbers, which came so easily to her.

If I ever showed her anything I'd written -- a poem or a story -- rather than offer praise or criticism she'd often say, "Well, I don't really know much about writing." But on the other hand, she was a constant reader and often recommended books to me, which I always appreciated. (Until she told me to read "Catch-22," which I thought was terrible.)

In her own way she was supportive, but we were just so different. There's no question she made personal sacrifices for me and my brother. She never had another romantic relationship after my dad -- at least, not that I ever heard about. But I don't think she really wanted one. She came to enjoy her independence.


This is a terrible picture of my mom and brother, swimming in the lake behind our house in the '70s. I always laugh when I think of that bathing suit -- the green skirt suit with the little white flowers. She wore it for about 20 years, I think. She always said she couldn't find a decent replacement.


After I came out to my mom as a college student in the mid '80s, it took her a while to process my being gay, though of course it wasn't a total surprise. She was afraid it was somehow "her fault," and she worried about me because it was the height of the AIDS crisis. On some level she genuinely thought I might die (something I believed myself, despite always being careful).

I'm not sure I ever got over feeling like I had to make up for a terrible shortcoming. I organized trips with her several times -- to New Mexico, Germany, New Zealand and Italy -- and she came to see me when I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco and later, when I lived in New York (above). I'm always up for traveling, but I also felt responsible for making sure that she had those experiences -- that being single didn't keep her at home.


She had a firm sense of boundaries. She almost never inquired about my private life or relationships, though when I did mention boyfriends she was outwardly supportive. And when I married Dave she welcomed him into the family, and was always affectionate and friendly to him. She was quite liberal politically and she had nothing but scorn for homophobes or Bible thumpers -- despite being a lifelong Presbyterian churchgoer. Still, I've always felt that given a chance to flip a switch and make me straight, she'd have done it.

I've written before about her sale of our family home in 2015. In retrospect, I think she undertook that sale partly because she felt herself becoming more infirm. She moved into a senior community with graduated levels of care, and in 2019 she moved into an apartment in a memory care unit (above). When she died, she was in nursing care, essentially incapacitated. Time is ultimately cruel.

Even through our conflicts I always felt loved. She was a good mom. I will miss her.

39 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I have been thinking about you all morning. That HS photo is stunning. Again, you are so insightful. A beautiful tribute to your mother with her many strengths and weaknesses. You have been a generous soul. Thinking of you and your brother.

Rachel Phillips said...

Beautifully written Steve and a lovely tribute to your mother. I enjoyed reading it and have read it more than once. She sounds like a super intelligent woman. Thinking of you over there and thank you.

Andrew said...

That's wonderful Steve, and I teared up at the end. I hope it was good for your to write. My mother has apologised to me for a couple of things in the past, but I expect I have much I should apologise for to her. I don't think it unreasonable for mothers to imagine their genes will go on through their sons and maybe that is the real disappointment. The mental image of their son with a nice wife and children must be strong. Instead she had to change her thoughts to having an artistic and literate son who is gay.

Sabine said...

Thank you Steve, a wonderful and honest tribute.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Such a lovely tribute. Thank you for sharing it. I can see that your mother and brother shared a physical resemblance. Will you remain over there for your mum's funeral or will that be later in the summer?

Boud said...

This is a wonderful tribute to your mom and the relationship you had with her. I'm glad you went, now is a good time to be with your brother.

Bob said...

Lovely remembrance.
Your mother sounds like she was a smart, compassionate, complicated, independent, caring woman and mother.
And she raised a good son ... or two.
RIP

Dov said...

May her Memory be a Blessing.

jonboi said...

Today's post is you writing your best. You are so clear-eyed yet still compassionate. Condolences to you and your brother.

Fresca said...

Lovely obituary. And a Wonderful round-up of photos—your mother looks like a bright sharp beautiful bird in her high school graduation,
and the out-of-focus swimming one is great—catches a feeling of place. (And the famous swimming suit.)
What a powerful loss, the death of the person you’ve felt closest to most of your life, even the through differences.

Ms. Moon said...

Deep within this beautiful tribute to your mother, I can grasp a tiny bit of what she must have been feeling all of those years as a single mother and even before, when she was a professor at the math department at USF. I am not sure that I knew that she had had that career. To be a woman, wife, and mother in those days (and now, too, really) while trying to make a career in something she must have loved so much, had to have been beyond difficult. I am sure she had resentments while at the same time, I am sure she loved her boys so much. The eternal conundrum for women.
Steve- you have written this with both your journalistic skills and all the love you obviously felt and still feel for your mother. It is truly fine.

NewRobin13 said...

Your mom was a truly accomplished and remarkable woman. This a loving and lovely tribute to her. May her memory be for a blessing, Steve.

jenny_o said...

Your mom reminds me of a young Audrey Hepburn in her high school photo. What a lovely picture.

People are complicated, no doubt about that. But it sounds like you and your mom both tried to make a loving relationship despite your differences. And that's a good definition of love, is it not?

My condolences to you and your family, Steve. Wishing you peace.

Debby said...

What an honest look at your relationship with your mom. Your mom was not perfect. No mother is. But she loved you and, in the end, that was enough.

Your mom sounds like a remarkable woman. She raised a couple good boys.

That picture of you, your mom and brother? Gees. You have 'old' eyes. Even as a boy, you look like yourself as a grown man.

Again, my condolences, Steve. I am glad you are there. Time IS cruel, but the thing that strikes me is this: time was not cruel to your mother. She simply faded away, like the dot on an old black and white television when you shut it off. She was not unhappy. She did not suffer. The cruelty was reserved for the people who surrounded her, who loved her, the ones who had to say good bye.

Jennifer said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom. And that first photo of her could have been the cover of a magazine--she was absolutely gorgeous!

Sending you and your family lots of love at this sad time.

Damselfly said...

Such a loving, beautiful tribute to your mom.
May her memory be a blessing.

Pixie said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother. I'm always so impressed with the women who came before me, who paved the way for myself and other women. Math is not my strong suit either. Your mother would have liked to flip a switch and make you straight because she knew that being gay is always harder, sadly. Being different in any way in our society is difficult, as I'm sure your mother, working in a math department, knew first hand.

I'm sorry for your loss Steve but I am thankful you got to talk to her via facetime, before she slipped away. It sounds like she had a peaceful death.

ellen abbott said...

that was lovely Steve and I'm a bit envious.

Karen said...

She is so lovely in her high school photo. The loss of our moms is so so hard. A beautiful tribute

Sharon said...

This is a truly beautiful tribute to your mother. And what a lovely woman she was. Beautiful, smart and independent are words that come to mind. If her legacy is raising you and your brother than I'd say she did that to perfection. I don't know your brother but after reading your blog over the years and meeting you in person, I'd say you are one of kindest, smartest and most sincere persons I know. I can feel your love for her in these beautiful words.

TJ Davis said...

She made the grade Steve. She's in a delightful and peaceful place now. I truly believe that. This event was a transition into that place. I extend my hand to you in comfort and support. May you be at peace.
Tom

Ellen D. said...

I have my Mom's high school photo up in my room too. Such vibrant and lovely women who raised us! This is a great tribute to your Mom and I thank you for sharing it with us. Celebrate her life and love!

Kelly said...

I enjoyed reading this lovely tribute to your mom, learning about her life and your relationship with her. I think the loss of our mothers can be difficult for us no matter what point in life it occurs. I'll be thinking of you in the days and weeks ahead. Grieving is personal and individual, so embrace it in whatever form it takes for you.

Claudia said...

Your mother was a very lucky woman to have reared two fine sons. She will be with you always.

The Bug said...

What a lovely tribute. I imagine that she probably WOULD have wanted you to be straight if only to keep you from having what she imagined to be a harder life. (Not saying I agree, but this is a sentiment I've heard from other parents of gay folks.)

Jim Davis said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother. Life was not always kind to her, but it is clear her spirit carried her through. She raised two good sons. You should be proud of her, I know I would be.

Allison said...

Lovely tribute to you Mom. I'm sorry she's gone.

Catalyst said...

That is a very thoughtful and kind remembrance of your mother and her relationship to you. But I can't for the life of me figure out why you didn't like "Catch 22"!! 😊

Red said...

Steve, I'm sorry for your loss. My sympathy to you and your family. Well said about your Mom. She accomplished many things and all of them well.

The Padre said...

So Thankful For Those Conflicts - Brother Steve, My Since Condolences - Will Never Tell You I Know How You Feel As My Mother Still Walking Mother Earth - Will Be A Deviating Period Of My Life - If You Need Anything , I'm There - Beautiful Photos And She Would Be Proud Of This Post

Sending Positive Vibes

Ed said...

A beautiful and touching tribute. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Janie Junebug said...

She was beautiful. She knew you loved her.

Love,
Janie

Margaret said...

This is a beautiful and evocative piece of writing, Steve. You have let us get to know her as a full person with strengths and weaknesses, yet always with love for you. I could see the snark in that first photo! It's delightful that you gave her the opportunity to travel; my daughters have done the same for me.

Mike O'Brien said...

Ah, Steve - a beautiful piece of writing. You incorporated the joys and difficulties of family life, and kept the entire story infused with love. Your mom was a strong, complex and beautiful person. May the memories of her last years of dementia be overwhelmed by the memories of who she really was. She was a good mom, and you and your brother are proof of that.


Chris from Boise

37paddington said...

She was indeed a good mom, she raised a good son, and I Know you will miss her terribly. I am so sorry for your loss. Time is cruel, yes, but time also gave you wonderful memories of her, and allowed you to help her make wonderful memories of her own. May you much loved mom rest in peace.

Jeanie said...

This is such an eloquent, touching and honest remembrance of your mom, Steve. I'm glad you stayed with writing because it is at times like this, when there is much to say of importance and meaning, it shines through. There is such love in these words and you have beautifully shared your mom as a real human, not an idealized image of only good times but the things of life that help shape us and change us. The photos are wonderful. Sending love.

Colette said...

A beautiful tribute to your mother. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Steve Reed said...

Thanks to all of you for your insightful and meaningful comments. I appreciate each and every one of you! I can't quite bring myself to answer every comment because it's all rather overwhelming but I want you all to know I have read them and taken them in. Again, thank you all.

N2 said...

This is a kind and caring evocation of your mother and her life. She seems like a smart, strong woman who made her own way and took good care of you and your brother. Thanks for sharing your history together with us. My deepest condolences to you and your brother. She will always be with you. Sending hugs. x0x0 N2