Monday, August 28, 2023

Orchid Bonanza and The Cow


When I walked the dog yesterday morning, somewhere between vacuuming and folding laundry, I found not just one but FIVE orchids, all discarded in a neighbor's yard waste bag. They were a bit crumpled but the root balls are intact, so I brought them all home and put them in new pots.


Yeah, I know. Wasn't I saying not long ago that I have too many orchids? And I do. But I couldn't let them all just die. In fact I think there may still be a sixth one in the bag and if there is I'm grabbing it. (I'll look today!)

I'm justifying this by considering that three or four of the orchids we've had for years are looking pretty dire, for reasons I can't explain. They're losing their leaves and not growing new ones. I have one that is entirely leafless. From what I've read I think they got a bacterial illness that passed from plant to plant while I was rinsing them off together. I'm no longer doing that.

Anyway, I now have plenty of orchids. I can always take some to work. I think all the ones above have the same color flower, a creamy yellow.


So that was our morning, and then Dave and I set off for Stratford, in East London, where we were meeting our friends Gordon and Donna. They moved into our flat for a few nights in late July when my mom was dying in Florida and Dave wasn't back yet from Seattle, and we needed someone to care for Olga. We wanted to do something to thank them for bailing us out, so we took them out for Sunday lunch at a pub called The Cow. It was quite good -- I had roast pork with root vegetables and, yes, a Yorkshire pudding.

We walked back through Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (site of the Olympics in 2012) and passed under a bridge with a very reflective surface (above). We walked to Hackney Wick, where we caught an overground train straight back to West Hampstead. Convenient!

Dave and I have been talking about renting that cabin in Pevensey Bay, where we stayed back in July, again in the winter. So while on the train we booked it for Christmas. We'll be there roughly from Dec. 22-28, with Olga in tow, of course. A week at the beach in the winter might be an interesting change of pace. I hope it's blustery as all get-out. And there's a fireplace!


In late afternoon, I took Olga for a romp in the cemetery, where the arum lilies are sending up their bright orange, poisonous berries. I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these plants in bloom, but I've seen the leaves in the summer. I'll have to watch for the flowers next year.

Finally, Dave and I were just settling in for our evening meal and TV routine when Mrs. Russia knocked on the door. You may remember that she and/or her husband are supposed to paint the corner of our dining room ceiling that was damaged by their upstairs leak many months ago. (Yes! We're still waiting!) Well, she wanted to know if they could do it RIGHT THEN. It was 7 p.m.! I had my evening glass of wine in my hand! I told her to come back today.

27 comments:

Andrew said...

Fancy wanting to paint at 7pm.

You are brave to holiday in in the cabin in the winter. It should be a good bit cheaper off season.

Rachel Phillips said...

Your Russian neighbours sound a wee bit out of touch with reality in knocking on the door at 7pm on a Sunday evening and expecting to come in and paint. You are very patient with them, and the ordchids.

sparklingmerlot said...

OLGA!! I have missed you.
Your Christmas break sounds like heaven. I much prefer the sea in winter.
Why aren't I surprised that you rescued those orchids? I think someone should name a plant after you.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Mr. and Mrs. Russia are quite the pair. Bozhe moy! (My god!)
And I know that phrase because SG speaks Russian, often when he means to speak Spanish.

The most success I ever had with reblooming orchids was ones I kept in a windowless office under fluorescent light.

gz said...

It is hard just to leave living plants..and if nothing else they make good presents!
Interesting architecture at the Olympic park..I have only been to the Pringle (Velodrome) for a club session. Parking limits didn't give us a chance to wander

River said...

7pm? What goes on in her mind I wonder?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

May I assure your army of readers that you did not have Yorkshire Pudding yesterday afternoon! This is an untruth born of pure fantasy. Regarding the rescued orchids... and you grumble about Dave bringing home an extra bottle of ketchup!

Jennifer said...

Good for you for saving the orchids! I've saved two more since starting my new job. They were just sitting in a conference room window, drying up for lack of care, so I moved them to my office and they're doing great! I also have three orchids at home, so I'm getting quite the collection.

Your Russian neighbors are weirdos, huh? 7pm on a Sunday night? How bizarre!

Ed said...

I’m glad you explained that bridge shot. I couldn’t figure it out until I read below.

My MIL takes the orchids thrown out by the church and rehabs them back to blooms again. I’m always amazed.

Ellen D. said...

I have one orchid and I'm not sure what to do with it. How often do you water and feed yours? I'm saving egg shells as I read that I can crush them and use them for orchid food. Is that right? I'd like to keep this one alive as I have always failed in the past...

Ms. Moon said...

Check your thumbs, Mr. Reed. I do believe they may be as green as those of the Jolly Green Giant.
I go check on my orchids that I shuttled to a back deck under an eave and find that they are thriving. They look better than any orchids I've ever tried to keep. And that's all I'm doing for them- checking on them.
I think your Christmas plans sound PERFECT!

Debby said...

7 pm!!! How very odd.

I thought of you yesterday. I finally gave up on 3 house plants and chucked them. I knew you would have never done such a thing.

Red said...

Surprising the things people throw away.

The Bug said...

I love that reflective bridge photo!

I always wanted stay on Lake Erie in the winter - I thought it would be dramatic & cozy. Dr. M was NOT interested. Ha!

NewRobin13 said...

I love that you rescued those orchids. I have several aloe vera plants that I would like to send you. They need your love and attention. I care for them, and they are thriving, but I'm planning on downsizing in a very big way.
Your winter trip sounds like a great idea.
Your Russian neighbors are very strange... 7 pm on a Sunday. Oy!

Tasker Dunham said...

You only had one glass of wine in hand. I wonder how many the Russias had had.

ellen abbott said...

well, of course you had to save the orchids. and I've spent plenty of weekends at the beach in winter and it's not something I would plan for a vacation.

I believe I would have already painted that corner of the ceiling were it me instead of waiting for months for the Russians to do it.

Jeanie said...

I'll be curious is Mrs. Russia shows today! I hope so.

The winter beach getaway sounds like a good idea and a change of pace. And loving that yellow orchid!

Sharon said...

Your lunch sounds delicious. I haven't had Yorkshire pudding in many years and I love it. Good job saving those orchids. You are so good with plants, I'm sure they will love life at your house.

Allison said...

Are you planning to be there when they paint? I would want to oversee the entire process, including putting down paint cloths. They are such strange people.

Jim Davis said...

Mrs. Russia, she never disappoints...............

Kelly said...

That photo under the bridge is wonderful!

Margaret said...

7 pm? Are they night owls? My mom threw out a perfectly good orchid which appalled my older daughter who would have taken it home. I don't do well with indoor plants so I would not. :) The Christmas stay sounds like an adventure. I love being by the water no matter the weather. Easy to do here in WA.

Boud said...

Christmas at the beach with a fireplace sounds great. No need for sitters for Olga, beach walks, I envy you.

John Going Gently said...

You won’t see that Russian for another year

jenny_o said...

My god, I'd never let an apartment neighbour paint my apartment no matter what!! I might haggle to get them to buy the paint, or to pay me for the paint and my labour, but I'd be painting that sucker myself :D Too much can go awry!

We spent six weeks at the beach in September and October weather when we were building our house in town. It was not fun. I hope you like it better than we did :)

Steve Reed said...

Andrew: Well, you would think so, but there's actually a premium for Christmas week!

Rachel: They really are a piece of work.

Caro: Steevei reedei? A species of...orchid, perhaps?

Mitchell: I need to find a way to work that phrase into conversation with them!

GZ: Well, THAT's a shame. Seems like they'd want to structure parking to allow people to use the park!

River: I think she was proposing a bizarre time so we'd say no, and they'd have an excuse for delating another six months.

YP: But the orchids were FREE!

Jennifer: EXCELLENT! A lot of orchids seem to get abandoned in public spaces in schools and offices.

Ed: Good for her! They really are very resilient plants, despite their reputation for being fussy. (Phaleanopsis, at least, are not fussy at all.)

Ellen D: I've never tried eggshells. I have some commercial orchid food that I give them now and then, but I mostly just water them weekly. The key is, let all the excess water run out before you put them back in their saucer. They should never SIT in water.

Ms Moon: I wish I could just put them outside, but alas, we're too far north for that. It's a bit chilly for them outside even now.

Debby: Well, it depends. I have thrown out struggling plants in the past. Sometimes you just have to pull the plug!

Red: I'm always amazed!

Bug: All that snow! It would be dramatic but you might get snowed in. LOL

Robin: I wish you COULD send them to me. I'd be happy to take them. I love aloe plants.

Tasker: All the more reason for them NOT to paint the ceiling at that moment!

Ellen: I've always liked blustery beaches!

Jeanie: She did not show!

Sharon: Well, I'm usually pretty good with them, but I have several orchids that are struggling at the moment.

Allison: Well, it's not the ENTIRE ceiling. Just a corner. I don't think they could screw it up much.

Jim: That's for sure!

Kelly: Thanks! I love a good reflective surface.

Margaret: Many people treat them almost like a bouquet, to be discarded when the blossoms fade. I don't get it!

Boud: Doesn't that sound cozy?!

John: LOL -- you're right so far! (I'm answering your comment two days later.)

Jenny-O: If it were anyone else I might be wary, but Mr. Russia is SO exacting in his work. In fact, if there's a risk, I don't think it's sloppiness -- I think it's that the work might take forever!