Saturday, August 12, 2023

Erith to Dartford and DONE!


I walked the four-mile final segment of the Thames Path yesterday, from Erith to the River Darent. I've now completed the full 80-mile route along both the north and south banks of the river -- after 11 months! Now I'll have to find another walking challenge, which shouldn't be hard. Britain is a walker's paradise.

The first stretch of my walk yesterday took me through a gritty and frankly unpleasant section of Erith, along a heavily-traveled roadway full of trucks and equipment. There were some colorful scenes, like the one above with wildflowers and a discarded orange glove, but it wasn't a particularly photogenic area.


Soon, though, the path turned into a grassland on a bluff overlooking the river. That's looking back toward Erith, above.

I brought my big camera because I was pretty sure I'd see some wildlife and I wanted my zoom and macro lenses. And it's a good thing I did. As I walked I saw what looked like some old tires down on the mud flats...


...only they weren't tires. They were seals! This is not a complete surprise, I must admit, because I saw seals lounging in this exact spot the last time I walked this route. (This segment of the Thames Path is also part of the London Loop, which I walked several years ago.)

I loved watching them bask in the sun. Every once in a while they'd lazily stretch or roll over, which reminded me so much of Olga sunbathing in the garden!


There were lots of smaller critters, too. I saw this lone cinnabar moth caterpillar munching on some ragwort...


...and a couple of amorous shield bugs. Also lots of butterflies, but it was very windy up on those grassy bluffs and the butterflies didn't seem to want to settle for a photo.


At the mouth of the muddy River Darent is a flood-control structure meant to prevent the Thames from invading upriver communities like Dartford and Crayford during periods of high water. Beyond the dam you can see the Queen Elizabeth II bridge, also known as the Dartford Crossing, which carries the M25 over the Thames. The M25 is a major highway that runs all the way around London.


The path turned inland to follow the Darent, and finally brought me to a narrow footpath leading to the Slade Green rail station. ("A gorgeous green tunnel," the map romantically called the path, though it was very shady.) I passed this horse in a field along the way, trying to pass itself off as a stylish zebra with a braided tail.

That was the end of the Thames Path, but not the end of my day. I caught the train at Slade Green and went one stop southeast to Dartford, because I'd just read that new sculptures were unveiled there honoring two of the town's most famous sons: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones.


The sculptures were easy to find, right in the center of the main shopping district, and attracted a steady stream of fans while I was there. I sat at a cafe across the street and ate lunch, which gave me an excellent view of selfie-takers like this guy -- in his Aerosmith t-shirt, dramatically dragging from a cigarette (at least I assume that's a cigarette).

After I finished my grilled cheese and tomato sandwich, I walked through town, bought a couple of vases at a thrift store (like I need more vases!) and then headed home. Mission accomplished!

22 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Exciting! Can't wait to see what you take on next. I love the new sculptures. I've never seen anyone smoke a cigarette like that. Just saying. In Spanish, Aerosmith is pronounced Ah-a-roe-SHMEET. I'm sure you were wondering.

Frances said...

You could do the Hertfordshire Way......only 194 miles apparently!!

River said...

You get seals there?? Wow. I love the Mick Jagger and Keith Moon statues :)

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Congratulations on completing The Thames Path. I don't know where westbound trains from West Hampstead go to but at weekends you could catch trains way out into the countryside and plan circular walks from rural or small town stations. You would have such happy and interesting adventures with plenty of great photo-opportunities.

Tasker Dunham said...

I like the horse in the zebra outfit. The imagination runs riot.

Michael said...

Congrats on completing that walk! That's a major accomplishment. I never thought of seals in the Thames!

sparklingmerlot said...

Love the horse in disguise and the anatomically correct statues - if you get my drift!

Colette said...

That is a well loved horse, I imagine.

Ms. Moon said...

Excellent achievement, Steve! And of course I love the statues although there is something about a bronze statue that never quite works in my opinion, no matter how skillful the sculptor. But in this case, I believe the sculptor did a very fine job with the boys' universally recognized stances and dances.
Do you think that the horse's owner has a very good sense of humor or...what?
Seals are very much like sea dogs, aren't they?

NewRobin13 said...

What a great accomplishment, Steve. I have loved seeing all the views on your Thames walk. It surprised me so much to see seals on the river there. And that horse pretending to be a zebra is really very cute.
I am glad you are seeing many butterflies there. Not so much here in California this summer, and a blogger friend in Nova Scotia has noticed the same thing.

Red said...

Congratulations on finishing your walk. It's good to set goals and challenges so something happens.

Sharon said...

Wow, seals, horses in disguise and Mick and Keith all in one day. That's quite an accomplishment. I can't wait to hear where you next walking adventure will lead you.

The Bug said...

Love the seals! And great job finishing this loop!

I'm reading a book (series about Scotland Yard detectives) and their current murder is in Crystal Palace. I can't remember if you've been there. I'm not sure it's as picturesque as the name sounds, but maybe you can check it out.

The Bug said...

Oops - I just did a search and you have DEFINITELY been there.

Sabine said...

Well done Steve and many thanks for all your walking posts. Where to next?

Jeanie said...

Well done and congratulations! That's quite the quest and goal achieved. Can't wait to hear what you next choose!

Kelly said...

Congratulations on completing the Thames Path! Those first couple of photos show how even a small patch of wildflowers can brighten a spot.

Although I had an uncle who actually did hold a cigarette that way (back in the 30s/40s), my guess would be this fellow is smoking something else.

Catalyst said...

Mick and Keith looked a lot better back in those days than they do now.

Margaret said...

I adore seals! I would need to have a selfie with those sculptures too but not dragging on a cigarette. Ewwww!

Allison said...

Zebra stripes repel flies. So, putting that striped robe on the horse is keeping flies away from him. This is a true, if weird thing.

https://www.wired.com/story/scientists-reexamine-why-zebra-stripes-mysteriously-repel-flies/

Allison said...

Oh, an congratulations on finishing the walk, that's impressive mileage!

Boud said...

This showed up just now, out of order. Broken links on most of the pictures. Maybe if I reload, I'll catch them. Anyway, good you finished that walk project. At this point you probably know London better than a lot of lifelong residents, who don't do this kind of strenuous exploration.