Monday, September 12, 2022

Along the Thames


I've undertaken a new challenge. I'm going to walk the Thames Path, a system of trails on both the north and south banks of the river from Hampton Court in the west to the River Darent in the east. It's 79.5 miles altogether.

I got a healthy start yesterday at the Hampton Court Bridge where I joined the path. See that block spot in the river beneath the right-hand bridge support? That's a dog! Some guy on the bank would hurl tennis balls way out into the water and his dog would swim for them. Seems a bit risky to me but maybe there's not much of a current here. (Hasn't he heard of Shannon?)


There were lots of joggers and walkers in this area, some of them no doubt visiting Hampton Court Palace, in the background above. Dave and I went there almost ten years ago.

The path skirted the Hampton Court estate, eventually becoming narrow and gravelly, a section known as the Barge Walk. It ran beneath trees with the deer park and horse pastures on the left and the houses of Thames Ditton across the river on the right.


I crossed the river at the Kingston Bridge and entered Kingston-upon-Thames, where this colorful street art decorated an area near the river. I circled this block taking photos of murals on the barriers all the way around.


Eventually I made my way to Teddington Lock, a massive water control structure that includes multiple locks and a weir. There's a footbridge across an island above it, which provides a good view.

I had lunch -- toast with avocado, crab and a poached egg -- at a little cafe called Antipodea in Radnor Gardens, a riverside park near Twickenham. Then I kept walking.


The path passed Marble Hill House, built in the 1720s and the home of Henrietta Howard, a countess and mistress to King George II and by all accounts a witty and accomplished woman of her era.


The path eventually approached Richmond, where I saw this little boat bobbing in the currents. It doesn't look like a stress-killer. It looks like a stress-inducer!

The path then joined the Capital Ring, another popular walking route that I took a couple of years ago, so I'd been through this area before. I walked again through Isleworth and Syon Park, which I wrote about here, and then into Brentford, where the path was blocked by new construction and I had to scramble up an embankment and cross a street, bridge and parking lot before I could rejoin it. Thank goodness I'm relatively nimble.


I passed this pub, with lots of interesting signage including a large version of the famous Guinness toucan.


And I found this derelict boat in the Thames near Watermans Park, with an interesting and rather Soviet-looking wolf on its bow. (Or is that the stern?) I thought that was Kew Gardens across the river, but looking at a map now I realize it's an island called Brentford Ait. (Islands in the Thames are called "aits," or "eyots," a word apparently deriving from Old English.) Kew Gardens is on the other side of the island.

By this time I'd walked 12.5 miles and I was ready to call it a day. I thought I'd catch the train at Kew Bridge, but apparently trains weren't running from that station. I wound up having to catch a bus to a nearby tube stop and taking a couple of tube lines via Westminster in order to get home. Transport on a Sunday can sometimes be dicey!

Anyway, it's good to have a new walking project.

25 comments:

River said...

12.5 miles! It's been decades since I've walked that far in one go. These days, on a good day, I can walk to the city from my home, a distance of about three miles, then I can rest up, wander around the city and catch a bus home. Or I can catch a bus there and then walk home. Very rarely do I walk both ways on the one day. Most days I barely leave the house.
You passed some lovely scenery, love the boats and bridges.


Frances said...

Friends of ours have done the Thames Path in the last few years.
I wouldn't be surprised if that dog ends up starring in en episode of " Saving lives at Sea" Have you ever watched it? Apparently the Tower lifeboat station on the Thames is the busiest in the country and has a permanent crew always there. There are 3 others on the Thames.

Moving with Mitchell said...

What a great walk... and future walks, I’m sure. I would love this. The street art is wonderful. The walk looks like a stresskiller. The boat? Not so much.

Anonymous said...

12.5 miles is a long distance. Our friend Marie walked the Thames Path a few years ago. I found it very interesting, as I no doubt I will of your account. So often she had to leave the river bank, just like you did. I think she may have walked to where the river rises. I forget now.

The hoarding murals are cute. Like cars are removed from street a few months after being abandoned, so should boats.

gz said...

A good walk!
See if you can get a boat ride up the river sometime too...get the same places from a different angle?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

A great new walking project and fascinating pictures already. When you have finished the Thames Path walk I have got another project for you - walking around London on the M25 Orbital Motorway using the hard shoulder.

Boud said...

Interesting new project. I didn't realize some of these places were in walking distance of your home.

Linda Sue said...

Thank you for the click back!
Incredible distance in one day, sir! Gorgeous area, and very fine photos.Transportation challenges are still better than anywhere else I reckon. We can not get anywhere without guzzling gas in automobiles, as you know.
Mr. Pudding's suggestion is hilarious...and harsh.

Bob said...

That was SOME walk!!
I love the street art of the dog on a leash; made me smile.
And I never knew there was a Guinness toucan!

Sabine said...

Great! I am delighted that you have started another walking route and I am looking forward to more pictures.

Sometime in the 1990s, can't remember what year, I cycled from Richmomd to Oxford along the river. We were in Richmond because the man was at a conference and I was in need of distraction. There wasn't much of a cycle or walking route then and I basically followed the river and stayed away from car roads as much as possible. I met some interesting people and got many invitations for tea. I did it in three days as I stopped with friends along the way.

Ms. Moon said...

That's not a walk, that's a journey! Good for you, Steve. Not only are you nimble, you are fit.

NewRobin13 said...

That was quite a walk. I always love seeing what you see there.

Pixie said...

You walked a half marathon, good on you. Perhaps I'll be up to long walks again one day. For now I'm on a stationary bike.

That is a beautiful house, Marble Hill House. And Hampton Court, the last time I was there was twenty years ago. Both of my kids loved the maze.

ellen abbott said...

I'm glad you have a new walking project too. I think that is so cool that London has all these walking paths.

Ellen D. said...

Well done, Steve! That's a good long walk and I love that you share it with us. Thank you!

Ed said...

Once again I am envious of your large and varied walking environment.

Red said...

I enjoy your walking posts. You don't miss much .

Sharon said...

What a great walk with lots of wonderful photos. I love how you are able to adapt when you run into road blocks and other problems. That boat in the last photo is a bit of a mystery, isn't it? It looks a bit sinister in a way. I guess that's the "Soviet" hints.

The Bug said...

I always love your walking posts. For some reason I really like that last photo - it looks like the beginning of an excellent short story.

Kelly said...

That's quite a lengthy walk, but I enjoyed everything you shared (especially the street art!) and look forward to your next outing.

I've never heard of the Guinness toucan!

Margaret said...

The bow, I think. Loved the sights on your long walk, especially the murals. Wow! Boats are not just stress inducers, they're money pits. Signed, Former Boat Owner

37paddington said...

Lovely to contemplate all the discoveries you’ll share with us along the way!

Steve Reed said...

River: It's certainly much farther than I typically walk!

Frances: I've never watched that show! I'm not surprised a lifeboat station on the lower Thames would be busy, though. I'm sure a lot of people get into trouble on the river.

Mitchell: Yes, the walk is definitely a much-needed stresskiller!

Andrew: Yeah, there are several places where construction or buildings block the path and force it inland, usually by just a block or so.

GZ: I have done many Thames boat rides, and it IS always interesting to see things from the river side. It's a very different perspective.

YP: I think I'll pass on that one!

Boud: Oh, they're not. I took a train to Hampton Court to begin this walk, and then, as I mentioned, I had to take a series of tube trains to get back home.

Linda Sue: Yeah, although TFL drives me crazy with all their outages and strikes, we DO have it better than many communities.

Bob: The Guinness toucan is quite famous over here. Apparently back in the middle of the last century a whole series of ads were produced for Guinness featuring animals, and the toucan became the best-known.

Sabine: That bike ride sounds quite adventurous! There must have been some kind of path, if only an informal one?

Ms Moon: Well, I was very sore the next day -- mainly my left heel. A bit of plantar's fasciitis, I think.

Robin: I'm walking it so you don't have to!

Pixie: Yeah, the maze is very famous. I think I must have gone into it but I don't remember it. It's probably more memorable for a kid!

Ellen: The British are famous for their love of walking!

Ellen D: You're welcome! Knowing I'll be blogging about it helps me pay attention and gives my walk a sense of purpose.

Ed: It IS a good place to walk around and see sights.

Red: Well, who knows what I've missed? I didn't blog about it because I missed it! :)

Sharon: It makes the walk interesting when these little roadblocks appear. Fortunately they're usually easily navigated. I think the red star is what made me think "Soviet."

Bug: It was a surprising sight, that old wrecked boat. I wonder whose responsibility it will be to clear that thing?

Kelly: I'll have to do a post with the rest of the street art.

Margaret: Dave sometimes makes noise about wanting a boat. Please God, no.

37P: I will do my best to keep it interesting! :)

Allison said...

Well, I do hope you find a dog sitter for the trip to Florida. I like it when you do the trail projects, something new to see!

Jeanie said...

What a fascinating venture! You must have feet of Steel!