Saturday, September 10, 2022

Watching the King


I did find some black clothing to wear yesterday -- a long-sleeved t-shirt and black belt and shoes. (Which I wore with jeans because Fridays are "Jeans Day" at work.) Don't tell anyone, but the t-shirt was actually given to me as a pajama top by Dave's mom.

Anyway, I needn't have bothered, because no one else seemed to feel the need to wear black. Maybe we're all supposed to wait until the day of the funeral to do so. Or maybe people don't worry about that kind of thing anymore.

I came across the bus shelter above on Finchley Road on my walk to work...


...and these were the front pages of two of our biggest newspapers. Funny that they both chose the same Cecil Beaton portrait from Elizabeth's coronation back in 1953.

One of the students interviewed me for the student newspaper about how I heard about the Queen's death and what I felt. I said the same things I wrote yesterday, more or less. That's one thing about my job, sitting at the circulation desk in the library -- I'm very accessible so I tend to get asked to participate in these "person-on-the-street" articles.


I put together a very small book display on a tabletop in the library. We don't have a lot of material about the current royal family, but it was enough.


I came across this notice posted outside the West Hampstead overground station on my walk home.

Last night we watched the BBC and saw King Charles's speech to the nation. We thought he did a good job. He's a smooth public speaker and, dare I say, more natural than his mother (growing up, I suppose, in a more media-saturated culture). Of course, her remoteness was part of her mystique. It will be interesting to see if Charles maintains that sense of remove or "humanizes" himself more, and how that might affect people's perception of the Royals overall.

I think today Olga and I may go down to Buckingham Palace and check out the scene. It's likely to be a madhouse but she doesn't usually mind crowds, and we'll have Green Park and Hyde Park nearby. Of course I'll take the camera!

20 comments:

River said...

It's a sad time for your country and the rest of the world too, but more keenly felt in England I imagine. I'd like to see your photos of Buckingham palace.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I wish that I had taken my camera to Lidl last evening. Every newspaper front page in the news stand concerned The Queen's death. As for the library display, I think that if King Charles III saw it he would authorise your incarceration in The Tower or possibly beheading... In your defence, you tried your best.

Anonymous said...

I think at his age King Charles is set in his ways and not for changing much. We know his views on a number of matters though he cannot opine anymore. He won't have the mystique of the late Queen, but he will do ok.

Ms. Moon said...

It must be so interesting to be right there in the thick of it, so to speak. Keep us updated as to events and thoughts, please.

NewRobin13 said...

It is such an interesting time to be there in England during this historic moment. I'm looking forward to your photos at Buckingham Palace.

Marcia LaRue said...

I think King Charles will rule as fairly and kindly as he can and I think he will relinquish the throne to William before he is long into his 90s.
We will just have to wait and see how it goes!
As a quick throw together, your table looks just fine!

Boud said...

I really like having a reporter on the spot. Yes, please do pictures of what's up. Is Olga wearing a black bandanna?

Red said...

Many people will say years later that they remember exactly where they were when they heard of the Queen's death.

ellen abbott said...

And here I am still really don't care about any of it. Would we all be in a dither if the Queen of Sweden died? I understand your interest, you do live there after all.

Pixie said...

It's got to be so hard to have your mother die and then get a promotion because of her death. Already there are articles criticizing Charles. WTF.

Ed said...

I think if I had 73 years to prepare for a speech, one might consider me natural at it too. It is going to be interesting to see how things transition. I've seen a few popes transition but never a British monarch.

Bob said...

It's a huge change after so many years. It'll be interesting to see how Charles handles it.

Kelly said...

I'm not so sure those "wearing black" rules are really relevant anymore. I remember wearing yellow to my mother's funeral since it was her favorite color... and that was close to 50 years ago!

Sharon said...

These are great little bits of news that we won't get watching CNN. I saw the King's speech too and I agree, he did a good job. I'll be interested to see how things progress.

Allison said...

Watch Camilla's face, while the King is flapping his hand.

https://twitter.com/kingcharles_lll/status/1568651759056474115

Margaret said...

I liked Charles' speech; I've read that he's a warm person and passionate about his causes. He's also a bit awkward. His mother wasn't necessarily like that but becoming Queen at 25 shaped her in many ways, not all of them positive.

Debby said...

It will be interesting to see how the change plays out...because after 70 years it IS a change. It will be interesting to see it from an insider's pov. Thanks.

Steve Reed said...

River: I just posted them! :)

YP: I can only work with what we have at hand!

Andrew: Well, maybe that's how the monarchy will now change. It may be more open and accessible.

Ms Moon: It is very interesting, though I feel a little like an interloper!

Robin: It does feel like the end of an era.

Marcia: I think he'll be fine and will do better than anyone expects. I don't think he'll give up the throne, though. He's made the same vow that his mother made, to rule for all of his (remaining) life.

Boud: I didn't try to garb the dog in mourning! I saw many dogs at the palace (and people too) and no one was dressed in black.

Red: This is a landmark event. Most people alive today have never witnessed this transition.

Ellen: Well, the British throne has a much more international presence than the royal family of any other European country. If you say "Royal Family" everyone, in any part of the world, knows who you're talking about.

Pixie: I am ignoring the negative press, at least until he gets his feet wet!

Ed: Well, that's true. He's certainly had plenty of time to prepare.

Bob: It will indeed! I predict more accessibility and that can be both good and bad.

Kelly: Yeah, probably not. I just figured such a tradition-bound institution as the monarchy might do things in an old-fashioned way.

Sharon: Time will tell!

Allison: I hadn't seen that clip before! Funny. Charles may rethink his desire to have formerly private events televised now.

Margaret: I thought she could be quite stiff, though. Charles seems like he's trying to warm up the "brand."

Debby: I'll keep you posted!

Margaret said...

Yes, that's what I meant. QE wasn't known for being warm and she was very buttoned up--never political or opinionated whereas Charles has been known for that. Each has his/her own style. Charles knows he will now need to restrain his passions though.

Jeanie said...

I will look forward to your photos from Buckingham Palace. I've been watching BBC on cable since I've been home. I so admired the Queen and am sad at her passing (though we all knew it couldn't last forever.) My friend Jenny said she'd pick me up a newspaper for coverage from the UK. There is a lot here, too. The first time I heard people singing "God Save the King" it felt so odd. I wish him well.