Monday, August 7, 2023

The Turaco, and a Horror


Yesterday morning was pretty quiet -- I cleaned the house, changed the bedsheets, watered all the plants. There was plenty to do, but none of it very exciting.

Just after lunch, I took Olga out for a walk. The weather wasn't bad and I intended to take her to the Heath, where we haven't been in ages, but she was having none of it. The minute I turned in that direction she dug in and wouldn't move until I turned back toward the cemetery. I guess the Heath really is too far for her these days, and even she knows it.

So, yeah, the cemetery. We found some massive floral plantings in one area -- I don't know if they're meant to show an image but I think they must be the colors of a flag. The benches and gravestones in that area are covered with Arabic script. Maybe the national colors of Lebanon? Iran? It's anyone's guess.


One of the cemetery's trees has come down on top of some graves, which is a shame. (You can see that same tree standing in the background in this photo from a couple of years ago.) It looks like it broke right at the base.


I found this beautiful blue feather -- a tiny thing -- lying on the path. I think it's from a European jay. I hope it's not from a juvenile, but in any case, it's pretty and I kept it.

And then, while walking in the very back of the cemetery, I heard...


...the turaco! I hadn't seen it since I made a video of it in April and I only heard it once since then, months ago. In fact I wondered if it had expired, so I was glad to hear it was still out there. Where has it been all this time?

I traced the call to a nearby tree and wound up getting more video. The bird was a bit high up so I'm not going to win any documentary prizes, but it was still exciting. You can hear the rugby players on the adjacent sports field in the background.

Finally, I finished off the day by making a martini (OK, two martinis) and watching "The Amityville Horror." I'd read a recent New York Times story that mentioned it, and in fact I've even visited the real Amityville house myself, with my friend Arthur back in May 1998. Here's what I wrote in my journal at the time:
"We drove to Amityville to see the 'Amityville Horror' house! A totally bizarre thing to do, I know, but Arthur has a fascination with that particular moment in '70s schlock culture...we drove past that stupid house like three times. I mean, I read the book, and I thought it was scary, but ENOUGH already. It looks much less frightening than one would imagine. To think what those people invented to get out of a bad real estate deal -- wasn't there an easier way?? Anyway, it was cool to see it -- kind of interesting."
Funny that I blamed the outing on Arthur. I'm sure I wanted to see it just as much as he did. I remember those famous quarter-round windows in the house's upper story -- they gave the house its distinctive look but they've since been removed, apparently.

Anyway, although I'd read the book, I'd never seen the movie -- at least not that I can remember -- so I rectified that last night. It is indeed schlock culture -- very derivative of "The Exorcist" and with a couple of scenes and effects that brought to mind "The Shining," which actually came slightly later but did them much better. I laughed out loud when the wife, played by Margot Kidder, questioned the wisdom of spending $80,000 on the house, even before all the supernatural stuff began. Can you imagine buying even a cursed waterfront house on Long Island for that kind of money now?

26 comments:

Andrew said...

I was just thinking, I like the short recount of what you have done over the day before you move on to other matters.
That is a very pretty feather.
Aside from The Exorcist which thoroughly shocked me, I haven't seen the other movies you have mentioned. I think Exorcist had an 18+ rating here but I am sure I was younger than that when I saw it. I wonder how it holds up now.

Rachel Phillips said...

Finding a jay feather very lucky.

Moving with Mitchell said...

The turaco is such a splendid bird. I wonder how much the Amityville house would go for now.

Ed said...

"The Amityville Horror" is definitely a phrase that I recognize but after reading your description, I'm not sure I've read the book or seen the movie. I'm not sure how that happened. Since I no longer read fiction, it might be a good movie to watch while I'm between batches of canning tomatoes if I can find a place that streams it for free. Not sure I would pay to see if based off your limited description.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The feather is exquisite and your thumb is perfectly manicured. Nice to hear the turaco once again and to see it up in the branches.

Boud said...

What a wonderful bird that is. Thanks for the video, especially the slo-mo.

Jeanie said...

That floral painting is really stunning and a surprise in a cemetery -- at least for the cemeteries here. Olga knows her mind! I love the feather. Every time I find/see a blue jay feather (which is pretty rare) I think of Vivian Swift. I sure miss her blog.

The Bug said...

I don't care if it WAS a scam, I would not be watching that movie alone! Although I guess you do have Olga...

Ms. Moon said...

After seeing The Exorcist, I have never seen another horror movie as far as I know.
Done with that.
Never read Amityville Horror either. Life holds enough horror, thank you.
But oh, that bird! Is there truly only one?
And yes, that feather is a wonder.

Pixie said...

That poor bird must be lonely, so far from home.

I don't watch horror movies, I have enough horror inside my own head:)

NewRobin13 said...

Love seeing the video of the turaco. Those red wings are so beautiful. And that tiny blue feather is a wonderful find. I'm glad you're keeping it. Nice walk there. Thank you for taking us along.

Ellen D. said...

The bird is amazing and the feather is lovely!
I can't watch horror shows and so I know nothing about the Amityville Horror.
Most home prices shock me now!

Red said...

So Olga is just training you to obey her!

ellen abbott said...

that is a beautiful little feather! I took Minnie out for a walk this morning. It's been so hot that we haven't walked in weeks but I noticed the street was mostly in shade and it was the coolest (ha!) it would be all day.

Sharon said...

That turaco is such a beautiful bird. It's somehow comforting to know it's still around.
I saw that movie years ago. You are right, I don't think $80,000. would get you a parking place on Long Island these days.

Linda Sue said...

Turaco so dramatic, so misplaced! Fodder for a children's book + Olga as the narrator.

Kelly said...

I think your Turaco video is excellent. Thanks for those slo-mo parts to really see the color on the wings!
I also LOVE the tiny feather!!

Allison said...

The Turaco is such an exotic bird to be seen in London. It's sad that it's alone, no other bird to hang out with.

Vivian Swift said...

Your feather is a covert feather, which is a small feather found on the wing, on top of flight feathers. Jays naturally molt from late June to September with August being (in my experience) the prime time for finding jay feathers. Juveniles do molt into adult plumage, but your feather looks to me to belong to an adult. Isn't it like a treasure to find one? To see that shade of blue in the world...it's so rare.

Catalyst said...

That bird is spectacular and his call sounds like he's yelling "Hey . . hey . . hey . . hey!" The Amityville Horror has so far passed me by. I've seen "The Shining" and at least part of "The Exorcist", but horror movies leave me cold (so to speak). :D

Margaret said...

The older I get the more I enjoy those mundane tasks like watering and changing the bed. (fresh sheets are so crisp!) The cemetery seems to have lots of interesting things to see and hear. Olga is wise.

John Going Gently said...

In the late 70s those formulaic horror films and novels were found everywhere

Janie Junebug said...

Princess is sitting on the couch with me and is very interested in the sound of the turaco. What a great bird. I never saw the Amityville movie or read the book. I don't know much about it. I never saw The Exorcist either, although I vaguley recall reading the book long ago. I don't do well with scary stuff. It tends to give me nightmares. Now I'll have to Google Amityville to try to remember what that was about, but I would definitely buy an 80k waterfront house on Long Island even if it was supposed to be haunted or filled with spirits or whatever.

Love,
Janie

River said...

A beautiful little feather. Shame about the tree though, I suppose it's time was up. I've never seen The Amityville Horror, nor read the book. I read the hype in the newspapers and that was enough. No need to waste money on book or movie.

gz said...

Sad to see a tree go just like that.
That feather is so precise and beautiful.
Olga knows her limitations. A good thing really that she can let you know when enough is enough, but sad that you can't share longer walks with her now.

Steve Reed said...

Andrew: I watched "The Exorcist" about 10-15 years ago and it was still pretty horrifying.

Rachel: I hope so! Maybe not for the jay, though.

Mitchell: Apparently it sold in 2017 for $605,000, according to the NY Post, which is always right. :)
https://nypost.com/2021/03/15/inside-the-amityville-horror-house-today-long-islands-most-notorious-mansion/

Ed: I don't necessarily recommend it, unless you want a movie that is '70s horror camp! It's not a GOOD movie, by any means.

YP: I was very glad to see it again. I really thought it might have departed this life!

Boud: Glad you liked it. My last video was better but c'est la vie!

Jeanie: I miss Vivian too, but I was glad to see she commented on this post!

Bug: Ha! Olga, the great protector...

Ms Moon: I think there is truly only one turaco in the cemetery. I wish I could capture it and set it free in its home territory of East Africa.

Pixie: I don't generally watch them either. It's not a genre that appeals to me much, but there was some nostalgia attached to this one for me.

Robin: Yeah, I love that little feather! Such a bright color!

Ellen D: House prices are insane. Unless you're independently wealthy it's really hard to buy a house in many communities. (Like London!)

Red: Pretty much! She runs the show!

Ellen: Sometimes you just gotta work with the weather you have! For me that mostly means rain, and for you, heat.

Sharon: Isn't it incredible to think that house sold for that much? Of course it HAD recently been a murder scene, but still...

Linda Sue: I'm not sure anyone would understand Olga's narration, except other staffies!

Kelly: The slo-mo definitely helps. When it flies all you see is a flash of color because it happens so fast.

Allison: I've seen it hanging out with pigeons. I like to think that it feels at home with them.

Vivian: Oh, good! I'm glad you know something about the feathers and where this one might have come from. I was afraid it was from a juvenile that met a bad end.

Catalyst: I'm not a horror fan either, generally. If you've seen both "The Exorcist" and "The Shining," you've seen enough!

Margaret: There really is a lot of pleasure in small, simple tasks!

John: Yeah, I remember. There was a lot of supernatural horror around that time. Seems like nowadays horror is focused more on maniacal people, rather than demons and ghosts.

Janie: When I played the video here, as I edited it, Olga kept looking around like, "WHERE IS THAT BIRD?!"

River: Yeah, if you know the basic story, that's enough. It's not a very good movie, TBH.

GZ: The tree collapsed several weeks ago when we had some high winds, I think. I'm surprised it's still alive but they'll have to remove it.