Sunday, April 9, 2023

Turaco on the Wing


We had another bright and sunny morning yesterday, and it brought the bees out. I heard this one buzzing loudly around the grape hyacinths. It makes me wonder, once again, where the insects go in the winter and how they emerge so quickly when the weather warms. (I'm sure I could look it up but for the moment I'm happy in my wonderment.)

Incidentally, see those tulips in the foreground? This may be the only picture you'll get of them -- there were four immature blossoms and the squirrels beheaded two of them, and I suspect the other two could go at any minute.

I sat out in the garden with sunbathing Olga, and read "One of Us Is Lying," a young adult novel that's very popular in our school library. I've long been curious about this book, by Karen McManus, because the kids seem to love it. Now I know why we don't give it to fifth graders -- the drinking! The "hooking up"! It's not bad but it's definitely teenage fare.


As I sat reading I kept my camera handy so I could occasionally grab a shot of something interesting, like this little wren making an incredible racket in the top of the hazel. Such a powerful voice from such a tiny bird!

In the afternoon, Dave and I took Olga to the cemetery, and here's where things got really exciting. I was just telling Dave I hadn't heard the turaco yet this year. And then, as we walked, I heard it loud and clear. I left him and Olga and scampered to the source of the sound -- a big juniper. And there, all my photographic dreams came true when I finally got a video of the turaco in flight!


As you can see, I initially filmed (can one use the word "filmed" in reference to video?) the bush, just capturing the call. I then crept closer, trying to zero in on the sound, when I saw the branches rustling. And then the bird flew right over my head, flashing those brilliant red underwings before landing in plain view in some adjacent shrubbery. Woo hoo!

I'm so glad the turaco is going to be with us for another summer. I believe this is its sixth year in the cemetery, at least. I first spotted it in 2019, but someone else had tweeted about it the previous year. (I think it's actually a Fischer's turaco, not the variety he named, but I am hardly an expert.)

Anyway, that was a photography milestone for me!

26 comments:

sparklingmerlot said...

What a stunning bird and what an achievement. I bet you were quivering with excitement and so you should.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I've never seen a turaco in flight. Stunning. On film, tape or video.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Well done Steve! A marvellous moment in your photographic career. I feel rather sorry for the turaco - always alone, never meeting another turaco and never mating unless of course he's been having hanky panky with a wood pigeon called Stormy Daniels.
P.S. I left a picture of you, Dave and Olga on my homely blog.

Boud said...

What an exciting moment! I've never heard of this bird and wonder if it's a tropical escapee from captivity. I must look this up. That passage of him in flight is just stunning. A keeper.

Ed said...

I still use the words filming and taping when it comes to recording things on my camera or DVR. I'm sure you and I are among the last generations to do so.

Ms. Moon said...

Amazing, Steve!

Ellen D. said...

Wow! That was terrific, Steve! How exciting!

NewRobin13 said...

That is such a great video, Steve. I love that flash of red wings as the bird flew over. Perfect timing and so beautiful!

ellen abbott said...

you'd never know the turaco has those brilliant red feathers unless you see it in flight.

wrens have a little flat disc with a hole in the center, like a washer or a paper thin donut behind their beaks kind of at the top of their throats that vibrates and amplifies their voice which is why they are so loud for such a small size.

and the bugs hibernate during the winter.

Sharon said...

How lucky you are! Such a beautiful bird in flight and sitting still. Great capture.
It looks like a beautiful day for a walk.

Marcia LaRue said...

👏 on capturing that beautiful bird in flight!

Linda Sue said...

patience and attention paid off! Glorious color! Well done,thank you for this sighting and quick camera work.

Red said...

Great shot of the Turaco and the brilliant black and red underside.

Allison said...

Really good capture of the Turaco. The red under the wings is stunning.

Jim Davis said...

Well done on the Turaco! That video is really sharp & clear. Did you do that with your iPhone? Happy Easter to you & Dave.

Kelly said...

Congratulations on finally capturing the Turaco on film! I enjoyed seeing and hearing it!

I've had One of Us Is Lying tagged at the library for awhile, though I don't remember where I saw it recommended. I'm not sure if I'm up for teenage angst any time soon, but I'll leave it on my library wish list for now.

Margaret said...

That bird, which I've never heard of, looks amazing! I can't wait to watch the video! I too miss out on many shots and video of what I'm trying to capture. My timing is lousy--or is it my lack of patience?

Michael said...

Wow. I had never heard of that type of bird before. When I watched the video I thought to myself, "That kind of bird lives in the UK?" Then I went back to your post from 2019 to discover that the bird is native to Africa. That must have been a shocker seeing that bird for the first time.

James and Brigitta said...

What a thrill to capture that Turaco in flight, I know the feeling to finally get the shot you've been waiting for! So satisfying!

Andrew said...

What a brilliant capture. It is quite a strange looking bird and looks rather exotic for England.

Jennifer said...

Wonderful! What luck!

River said...

That flash of red! and then he sat watching you watch him. Nice capture :)

Debby said...

Quite a sight! I wonder how he came to be in England?

jenny_o said...

He's so exotic with his mohawk, red underwings and indigo tail! Great capture - your patience was rewarded. Such a beautiful creature (but his call reminds me of a goose honking - sorry, turaco!)

Steve Reed said...

Caro: I was SO excited when that bird burst out of the shrub and I was able to track it with my phone.

Mitchell: I'd never seen it this close up!

YP: I do feel bad for it, too -- always calling for a mate and never finding one. I hope it's canoodling with the pigeons. LOVED the pic on your blog!

Boud: It is definitely an escapee. It's hard to tell on the video but it has a leg band. Apparently they're native to East Africa.

Ed: It's funny to use that word, but what else can you say? I guess you could use "video" as a verb. I "videoed" the bird? That sounds strange.

Ms Moon: It made my day!

Ellen D: I thought so! :)

Robin: It really is stunning in flight.

Ellen: I know some bugs hibernate, but where? How come I never see them or stumble onto them? They are masters of hiding! Fascinating info about the wren.

Sharon: It was a really nice day to be out and about, for sure.

Marcia: Thank you!

Linda Sue: I'm not sure Dave and Olga were as patient as I was, but at least Dave got to see the turaco first-hand, which he hadn't before. He said he thought it would be bigger. (It's about pigeon-sized.)

Red: Thank you!

Allison: Isn't it? I really wanted to capture that part of the bird's appearance.

Jim: Yes, it was with my new iPhone 14 Pro. It's zoomed in on the bird so I'm glad it's not too pixellated.

Kelly: It's full of teenage angst! It's not a bad book but it's like cotton candy. You will forget it immediately.

Margaret: Patience is a huge part of it. I stood there for a while filming that stupid bush, and then I came back to film it again. A lot of what I shot wound up on the "cutting room floor." (My computer's trash can!)

Michael: It was a huge shock at first. I knew I was seeing something really unusual, but I thought it might have been some kind of exotic pheasant.

James and Brigitta: Yes! Such a good feeling to know I can chalk that goal off the list. :)

Andrew: Definitely exotic for England! I'm surprised bird-watchers aren't flocking to come and see it, but maybe urban escapees aren't as intriguing to them.

Jennifer: Indeed!

River: Yeah, I don't think he was thrilled with my presence.

Debby: Who knows? He's surely either an escaped pet or a zoo or aviary specimen. I put up a notice on an online "lost parrot" bulletin board when I first saw it (even though he's not technically a parrot), but no one responded to the notice. And by now I doubt anyone is still looking for him.

Jenny-O: Yeah, he doesn't have the most attractive call. But I guess it's effective carrying across the jungles of East Africa!

Jeanie said...

At least you have tulips, albeit briefly. Mine were the victim of deer-icide. Now I have daffs.

ANd oh! That turaco... what a dazzler!