Monday, April 3, 2023

Rubble


This is one of my favorite apartment buildings in West Hampstead, though it backs up to the tube tracks so it's not in a great location. Those round rooms in the turrets would be so interesting, wouldn't they?

I passed it yesterday when I got the bright idea to take Olga to Kilburn Grange Park -- site of the drone launch in the video I recently posted giving an aerial view of West Hampstead. I just wanted to go somewhere different rather than back to the cemetery. It turned into an eventful walk.

When we entered Kilburn Grange I let Olga off the leash, as usual, and threw her red Kong toy. She took off after it, and out of the corner of my eye I saw another dog rocketing toward it as well. This dog was -- how shall I describe it? -- the ugliest dog I've ever seen. It was like someone attached a mastiff head to a French bulldog body. The head was wrinkled, box-like and all out of proportion, and this meaty mongrel quickly became obsessed with Olga. He ran beside her and sniffed at her obsessively, even as Olga tried to ignore him. He was the Harvey Weinstein of dogs.

A small boy arrived with the dog, and I asked its name. "Rubble," he answered.

"And what kind of dog is Rubble?" I asked.

"A bulldog," he replied. (Like no bulldog I've ever seen, I thought.)

As we crossed the park, the boy tagged along beside me as Rubble worried Olga. The whole situation made me uncomfortable. The dog was a badly behaved freak and I didn't like the idea of talking to an unaccompanied little kid in a park. Where were his parents? British kids in general, I think, are much less paranoid about "stranger danger" than American ones are, but I am always wary of engaging with a kid for fear of being misunderstood.

Anyway, we crossed the park and Olga and I made for the exit. Leaving seemed to be the only way to get out of this situation. The boy and Rubble turned and ran back into the park together, and Olga and I busied ourselves near the park exit. For Olga, this meant barking at squirrels:


We re-entered a few minutes later when the boy and Rubble appeared to be gone. I saw a man with a black cat on a leash standing about 30 feet away. The cat was lying in the grass and the man was standing over it, and that was weird enough, but then I saw that he had bright red tattoos on his hands and face. Only when we got closer did I realize they weren't tattoos at all -- he was streaming blood, dripping down his face and both hands.

"Did that cat make you bloody?" I asked, incredulously. (Fortunately, given Olga's propensity to chase cats, I had her on her leash.)

"Yeah, it's the first time I've taken him to the park, and a dog ran up and scared him," the man said. Apparently the cat turned into a whirlwind of claws and shredded the guy's face and hands.

I had nothing to give him -- no tissues or anything -- and I didn't want to bring Olga closer to the already freaked-out cat, so I just kept walking. And then Rubble and the pesky boy showed up again and the boy told me that Rubble was, of course, the dog that caused the cat to go berserk.

I decided to remove ourselves from this situation, for real this time. As we left the park, Rubble was still running loose and a woman had arrived with a cat carrier, and she and the man were trying to ease the freaked-out cat into it. (Who takes their cat to the park on a leash, anyway?) 

Olga and I settled for a scenic walk down Kilburn High Road.


The accordion shop's facade is still there, though the shop is closed and the sign is looking more and more dilapidated.


Fayrouse ("Zeal Your Zest") also remains defunct.


Around the corner was this colorful mural, which apparently smelled good.

And with that, we made our way home via the Maygrove Peace Park and Mill Lane. I was just glad we weren't bleeding.

23 comments:

River said...

Quite an interesting day for you and Olga. I always carry both tissues and hankies just in case, have done since I had little kids running around. I hope the boy learns that Rubble should be on a leash.

Frances said...

What was the man with the cat thinking!! Poor cat, trapped on the lead with a dog after it. Hope he has learned a lesson!
Also, children should not be out alone in charge of dogs. I bet the kid didn't have any poo bags! Glad that Rubble didn't harm Olga.

Boud said...

That aggressive dog sounds like a general danger.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Some dogs should't be off leash. Do you suppose that kid was even picking up after Rubble? That poor cat ... and owner... and Olga. I love the art and that apartment building. Zealing your zest is so last year.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Couldn't you have taken off your T-shirt to dab the gentleman's wounds? Sounds like dramatic stuff happens in Kilburn Grange Park! You must go there again and with regard to Rubble, please remember that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. After all, some women think that Trump is attractive.

Andrew said...

I agree with YP, you should have taken off your tee to assist a stranger in distress.

Lordy though, the whole business sounds absurd. In about 2005 I guess, I was in a local park and there was a young girl, say four years old and on her own wandering about. I wanted to ask her if she was ok, if she was lost and where were her parents. I didn't for the reasons you described. It is an indictment on society that we feel like this. Had she seemed in distress I may have acted differently, or called police.

Olga won't remember the walk. You will for quite some time.

Ed said...

I lost it at the "Harvey Weinstein of dogs!" I'm glad I wasn't eating or drinking at the time.

Yet another example of hour this generation only concerned about themselves. Any normal person would see that their pet was causing issues and have them on a leash and off by themselves.

Bob said...

"He was the Harvey Weinstein of dogs."
As descriptive a line as I have ever read. Perfection.

When Tuxedo was younger and more spry and quite fast, we would walk him around the backyard on a leash because.

Colette said...

People are really so strange.

Ms. Moon said...

Well that sounds like a nightmare.

Ellen D. said...

I'm glad Rubble didn't hurt Olga! I always have tissues when I head out for a walk.

ellen abbott said...

wow. well, at least it wasn't boring and you were after something new.

'zeal your zest'. what does that even mean?

NewRobin13 said...

That was quite a walk you and Olga had there. The "Harvey Weinstein of dogs" made me laugh out loud.

Kelly said...

So many things I could comment on here, but I'll just say it was certainly an interesting walk. It would have made me uncomfortable being with Rubble and his boy, too, for a variety of reasons.

Red said...

You were right to get away from Rubble as fast as you could. The cat was kind of freaky too.

Margaret said...

Rubble is trouble! Poor kitty and bloody owner. :( I've been there with my cat when she first moved in with me. She shredded my shins and hands a couple of times. Now she worships the ground I walk on!

James and Brigitta said...

Such strange encounters! I used to walk my cat sometimes as well but I would never take him to a park! I do like the name Rubble for a mutt though ..

Catalyst said...

For what was intended as a lazy walk that turned into quite an adventurous outing. I was following along on Google Maps but forgot where you said you live.

Janie Junebug said...

Good girl, Olga. You scared those squirrels into submission. I've seen cats walked on leashes. The cats look ridiculous. I hope the boy--and the dog--don't turn up to plague anyone again. I guess accordion sales are pretty low these days.

Love,
Janie

sparklingmerlot said...

The first time I put Max the handsome cat on a lead ended badly - for me. There is no way I would have taken him to a park as well. The front door was bad enough.

Steve Reed said...

River: I always have tissues in my camera bag, but now that I've started using my phone more I don't always have that bag with me!

Frances: Yeah, I have no idea whether that kid had poop bags. He didn't seem to have any sort of lead. I'm sure the cat was terrified.

Boud: He didn't outright attack Olga. He was mostly just harassing her. But yes, he needed to be under better control.

Mitchell: Who knows?! I hope the kid's parents were somewhere around with a leash. (But I can see why they might not reveal themselves.)

YP: Ha! I've been to Kilburn Grange several times and this is BY FAR the most exciting visit I've had.

Andrew: It is terrible that we don't feel we can approach a child who might need assistance!

Ed: I don't blame the kid. He's too young to be in charge of that dog. Where are his parents?

Bob: The backyard is one thing, but maybe not a public park! I appreciate the guy wanting to give his cat some outdoor time, but that is not the place.

Colette: It was a very surreal day! LOL

Ms Moon: Ha! It was more like a very weird interactive theater performance.

Ellen D: I was worried he'd jump on her but he didn't. She did growl at him, though, so I was afraid it might reach that point if I didn't get her out of there.

Ellen: Yeah, I have NO IDEA what that means.

Robin: I wish I'd taken a photo of him! You'd see what I mean!

Kelly: Yeah, I just wanted to play with my dog, not have to contend with another person. You know?

Red: Definitely not a day to be in the park!

Margaret: Well, to be fair, I don't know what that guy was thinking. Cats don't want to be in a strange public park. Cats like familiarity.

James and Brigitta: He LOOKED like a Rubble, but it's possible his name was actually Rebel. Hard to tell with the boy's accent!

Catalyst: I always cleverly conceal my actual address. LOL

Janie: Yeah, does anyone buy an accordion these days? I wonder.

Caro: I tried to put my cat on a leash once and she wouldn't move!

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, what an eventful encounter that was. Taking a cat for a walk does seem a bit strange.
I love that mural!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you weren't bleeding either. I hope the guy went to the redi care or something (or had a good antiseptic in his home). Even though he knows the cat, if that cat's been out walking, who knows what's on her claws. That'll hurt. I used to put Stimpy on a leash for a walk around the yard or the block or to take him to my dad's when he was in care. I tried with Gypsy too, but there was no point. Walking a cat on a leash is NOT aerobic!