Thursday, April 28, 2022

Objects Rule My Life


I finally finished the library inventory yesterday -- or at least as much of it as I'm going to do. I'm not going to inventory DVDs or the reference section. DVDs hardly ever circulate anymore and inventorying them is a nightmare, because you have to open every case to scan the bar codes, which are usually either inside the cover or on the disc itself. When I did it several years ago I actually injured my fingers opening a couple hundred DVD cases.

As for reference, we have a gigantic set of literary criticism books that we don't even keep on shelves -- they're mostly stored in cabinets. If I did reference I'd have to scan all those too, and it just isn't worth it. Even DVDs get used more than those lit crit books. I think we should just remove them from the catalog and either discard or sell them. All that stuff is online these days.

So, yeah, inventory done! The bottom line is, we've lost 30 books over the course of the year. That's not terrible -- about average, I'd say. A handful will probably still turn up, having been carried out of the library by kids who neglected to check them out first.

It's such a pain keeping track of all our stuff.

And speaking of stuff:


Yes, of course, I rescued R. A. Stoodley's trunk from the International Karakoram Project. I walked past the house where I saw it a few days ago, having read the links about Stoodley that Wilma helpfully posted in yesterday's comments, and it was still sitting forlornly on the sidewalk. So I came home, talked to Dave about it, mulled it over, and finally went back last night and collected it. I carried that thing home all by myself and let me tell you, it tested my physical limits. But I made it.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but at least now it's not in danger of getting rained on or being carted away by the garbage truck.

We'll take a closer look at it in an upcoming post, after I clean it up a bit.

(Top photo: Some interesting trees in South Hampstead. Copper beeches, I think?)

32 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

The trees are amazing. I wonder how old they are. Thank you for not disappointing me. I KNEW you’d want to take that trunk home.

River said...

I'm glad you rescued the trunk. Clean up the inside and use it for storage, like bags of doggy treats or something.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Not making an inventory of the DVD collection and the precious works of literary criticism seems to me like gross dereliction of duty. I was under the impression that you were a conscientious librarian but now I am not so sure. As my late father used to say - If a job is worth doing, do it well.

Anonymous said...

The pair of trees frame the building beautifully.

Have you opened the trunk? 'Der maybe gold inside.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Have I been censored or is it just the Blogger commenting gremlins? My first comment was of course created with my tongue lodged firmly in my cheek. I hope you were not genuinely offended.

Steve Reed said...

They've clearly beed pruned at the top to keep the canopies small.

Steve Reed said...

It definitely needs some cleaning.

Steve Reed said...

All will be revealed in a future post! Spoiler alert: there's no gold.

Steve Reed said...

I didn't see any comment besides this one, so I think the Blogger gremlins intervened!

Boud said...

I think it's destined to have a glass top, and play the role of coffee table. I was hoping it would make it home with you.

Ed said...

What happens after all this book surveying? Are the missing books removed from your system? Seems like a lot of work for not much gain especially if nothing is done with the information.

The Padre said...

Classic

Steve Reed said...

It WOULD make a cool table, although I think it might need some reinforcement before it could support a glass tabletop.

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, we take them out of the catalog. It's just a way to make sure the catalog matches what's actually on the shelves.

Bob said...

It's a great looking trunk and a conversation starter.

Ms. Moon said...

The title of your post says it all. Maybe, if it has historical value, you should try and sell the trunk. But it is an interesting piece.

Marcia LaRue said...

It will be interesting to see what you end up doing with the trunk! It is certainly a conversation piece!!

ellen abbott said...

OMG Steve. I laughed so loud when I saw the picture of the trunk. And yeah, those trees are pretty great. Do you know what kind they are?

Pixie said...

Too funny! As Ms. Moon, said, try selling it online if you don't want to keep it. Who knows?

Sharon said...

I'll be interested in learning more about that trunk.
Those trees in your top photo are beautiful. What an interesting shape.

The Bug said...

Well I must say that I am VERY relieved that you rescued that trunk! I like it where it is - maybe it can keep hats/scarves/gloves or some such.

Wilma said...

I am so glad you got the trunk - probably of more value as the story it represents as part of RA Stoodley's life than as tangible artefact. The tangible artefact may be a total burden - sorry!

Margaret said...

Good work on getting that trunk home! I couldn't have done it. 30 books doesn't sound like much to lose in a large library.

Debby said...

R.A. Stoodley's house is for sale in the peak district. Google otterbeck. Imagine that trunk''s travels.

Allison said...

I'm not surprised you went back for the trunk - of course you did. Perhaps it can be a side table or something useful. I am glad you rescued it.

37paddington said...

I absolutely KNEW you would rescue that trunk! I look forward to seeing how you incorporate it into your home.

Catalyst said...

I would think there should be a museum somewhere that might be interested in Stoodley's trunk, but perhaps it will be established in the Reed residence.

Sabine said...

Delighted to read you rescued that trunk! Now go ahead and plan a suitable expedition, it calls for it.

Sabine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anonymous said...

Hi Steve,
I know you follow Vivian Swift. She did a great painting of Olga for you! Anyway, would you know what happened to her blog. It's disappeared?? I miss her blog. Thanks

jenny_o said...

LOL! I love that you actually went back and got that trunk! I wonder what stories it could tell. Is it quite sturdy or somewhat flimsy? I think that could help determine what you do with it. And even if you end up passing it on, at least it was saved :)

Jeanie said...

Big smiles about your rescuing the trunk! And 30 books isn't too bad for a school library. Actually, it's kind of nice in that people are actually using it!