Monday, October 9, 2023

Bike Ride and Big Lunch


This is what the newer hotel-room wings look like at Oakley Court. Not as grand as the grand house -- in fact, rather bunker-like -- but softened by colorful Virginia Creeper growing up the walls.

We had beautiful weather yesterday. I borrowed a bike from the hotel and took a long bike ride after breakfast in the morning. I haven't been on a bike in years, but what they say is true -- you never forget! I rode up in the direction of Bray, crossed the Thames at a pedestrian bridge and then rode down the other side of the river on a public pathway.


Here's what one stretch of the path looked like. Very woodsy! I wound up directly across the river from our hotel, and then kept going south around the bottom of Dorney Lake.


I found an old country church down there, no longer used and managed by an organization called Friends of Friendless Churches. Its members work to protect disused historic church buildings across Britain.

The church is known as St. Mary Magdalene of Boveney. The oldest parts of the building are probably 12th century and apparently it's a good example of "galletting," or applying decorative slivers of flint to the pointing.


Here's the interior. It looks like that back wall needed extra bracing, both inside and out! The building does have some nice stained glass windows.

I got back to Oakley Court in time to change and go with Dave to lunch at the Waterside Inn, a fancy restaurant in Bray. Dave made the reservation and has been looking forward to this for weeks! I had scallops as a starter and duck as a main course, and Dave had lobster. Everything was wonderful.


By the time we got back to our hotel it was about 4 p.m., so Dave took a nap while Olga and I explored the grounds. We discovered in a back corner of the property a gigantic, bouncy Stonehenge for kids to play on. One of the more peculiar things I've seen recently!

But not as peculiar as...


...the coat this man was wearing when he came to breakfast yesterday!


Down by the river, Olga and I found a couple of boats bearing the names of productions filmed at Oakley Court. "St. Trinian's" is a film series about a girl's boarding school, based on a series of cartoons. I'm unclear which Trinian's films were made at Oakley Court, but presumably at least one was.

Incidentally, in all my talking about "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" yesterday, I failed to explain what it is. Unlike the old British horror films made here, "Rocky Horror" is not meant to be scary -- in fact it's a musical pastiche of old-fashioned horror movies, best known for promulgating a dance known as the "Time Warp." It's fun, not frightening. Just so you know.


Olga and I settled on a couch down by the river, me reading and Olga watching the boats go by.

Dave and I had such a big and long lunch that we couldn't begin to entertain any thoughts of eating dinner. Instead we stayed in and watched the Neil Simon farce "Murder By Death," which some sources (IMDB and Wikipedia among them) say was also filmed at Oakley Court. Having now seen the movie, I think they're wrong. I didn't recognize any element of Oakley Court in the film, and indeed its Wikipedia page says it was entirely filmed in California. Fake news alert!

Oh, and I did manage to watch the last third of "Rocky Horror," too, so I can now say I've watched the entire movie IN the house where it was filmed, which is pretty cool.

Back to London today!

23 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

It looks like a perfect getaway. Even Olga looks completely content (I hope her nerves settled). And I agree with “peculiar.” I would have at least removed the ermine while I ate.

sparklingmerlot said...

I cannot imagine anyone not knowing about the Rocky Horror Show - at least by reputation. We had an amazing stage show here with a lead actor being accused of doing unsavoury things with his cast mates. I saw it and it was a brilliant show.
I have fond memories of old English churches. I wish more were being kept in use but I guess it all comes down to dwindling congregations and rising costs. It's great to see someone keeping them open.
Your break sounds great. I was drooling at lunch and envious of Olga watching the boats go by. What a view.
Stonehenge and fur coat? I wish I could see into some people's brains!!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

St. Mary Magdalene of Boveney was a wonderful discovery for you. So peaceful and clearly little visited. If I had been there I would have thought of congregations past and where those people went. A beautiful place to be.

P.S. Did you have a sore bottom after riding the bike?

gz said...

A beautiful building..a church worth preserving

Jennifer said...

What a lovely vacation for you! And I love the fact that Olga got to go. :)

Bob said...

What a great day with the bike ride, the old church, and the book by the river.
The only thing was Cruella's son in that coat!

Rachel Phillips said...

If you have ridden a bike for years some muscles will ache this morning.

Ms. Moon said...

I'm sorry but THAT COAT! With the shoes and no socks. That is a bit of a statement. The child's eyes say it all for me.
Perhaps it was an homage to Rocky Horror in some way.

Boud said...

Credit where due: Ronald Searle was the brilliant creator of cartoon schoolboy and girl characters.

I love your and Dave's different priorities! Biking, booking great food! It sounds like a great getaway.

Pixie said...

What a beautiful manor house and church.

I have yet to see "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" in it's entirety. It plays every week on Whyte Avenue, just to late for me:)

Ellen D. said...

You are so good at finding interesting things to show us, Steve! The bouncy Stonehenge was crazy fun! Did you and Olga climb around on it?

Ed said...

So much to comment on but I'll limit myself to the creeper. Funny, all these years of talking about invasive species to America, I never thought about it going the other way. Google tells me it reached your shores in 1629 so it has been around a long time and is considered a Schedule 9 species over there which evidently means it is illegal to transplant into the wild.

NewRobin13 said...

What a great bike ride and views of the church. Love the photo of you and Olga down by the river. What a lovely vacation you are having there.

Red said...

You are having a great time in this place. Maybe you'll take up bike riding back in Hamstead.

Sharon said...

Sounds like a relaxing as well as adventurous weekend. That bouncy-stonehenge is very unusual. But, as you say not as unusual as that coat. Yikes!
I haven't been on a bike in ages. I wonder if could navigate one as well as you did.

ellen abbott said...

I hate virginia creeper. it is so invasive here and almost impossible to get rid of. love the woodsy path though. that old church seems to be out in the middle of nowhere. I wonder who used to use it. that's a wild coat. was it that cold? it looks like his legs are bare. and a bouncy Stonehenge. now I've seen everything.

Catalyst said...

It sounds and looks like a very fine mini-vacay.

Tasker Dunham said...

When I first went on a bike after many years, I found it exhilarating. Like suddenly being able to fly.

Kelly said...

So much good stuff in this post! I'm glad you got some good food this time. The church is interesting though I can't say that interior is the most interesting I've seen. The bouncy Stonehenge looks like great fun!

Margaret said...

It's hard to envision anything that ancient still standing. (especially considering the quality of modern construction) I love bike rides; my boyfriend and I didn't do enough of them this summer. We seemed to always be busy doing other things. The coat, OMG!

Michael said...

I am catching up on my blog reading! It looks like you have the perfect getaway. That bike path is one I would love to ride a bike down and it has been years since I have been on a bike myself. That coat at breakfast was certainly something to stare at!

Jeanie said...

I'm smiling big. What a wonderful getaway. First of all, given that the windchill here at the lake is 35, I'm extremely envious of your fabulous weather! That setting is so beautiful -- you can do all sorts of wonderful things without even leaving Oakley. And the lunch sounds to die for. I'm so glad Olga can go with you. I've gotta say, that coat reminds me of something you'd see a pimp wearing in a very stereotypical movie -- probably a musical! Love it all!

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: Would you have worn the ermine at all?!

Caro: I love "Rocky Horror" but several people on the previous post said they'd never seen it and didn't like scary movies. So I just want everyone to know it's not scary!

YP: I knew you'd like that church -- in fact I thought of you when I found it. No sore bottom!

GZ: It's interesting, isn't it? Kind of a weird tower on top.

Jennifer: She loves being with us but as she gets older it gets harder to travel with her. She's not as adaptable as she used to be!

Bob: Ha! It IS a very Cruella coat!

Rachel: Actually I felt it in my knee joints more than anything!

Ms Moon: I wondered that! I bet he IS a Rocky fan.

Boud: Yes, the Wikipedia link gives all the background. I've never seen a St Trinian's movie or cartoon.

Pixie: Now you can rent it and watch in the comfort of your own home! But of course then you don't get the benefit of the audience participation.

Ellen D: Wasn't that wild?! No, I didn't try to get on it!

Ed: I think there are multiple American species that are invasive on these shores, primarily the gray squirrel.

Robin: It was a great spot for a getaway and so close to London!

Red: I wish I had a bike. It felt great to ride one again.

Sharon: I really think it's true that one never forgets.

Ellen: Like many plants, it just has to be controlled. Here it's an ornamental but as Ed noted above, its planting is restricted.

Catalyst: It was perfect!

Tasker: YES! It felt amazing. Made me wonder why I ever stopped bike riding!

Kelly: The interior is pretty stripped-down. I'm not sure why all those chairs have been abandoned in there. Seems like the pews would be enough!

Margaret: It's a challenge to keep up all these old church buildings in the UK, in tiny villages where no one goes to church anymore.

Michael: We couldn't believe it when that guy walked into the dining room! And he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt beneath it.

Jeanie: Ha! It IS kind of a pimp coat. Yeah, we're much warmer here than you are there!